Question for SVS Speakers and SuB Selection

Dual SB-3000 or Dual SB-2000 Pro's?

• Total voters

arunendug

Just joined this forum and I'm excited reading the threads and to hear the experts speak.

Myself AG, from Kolkata pursuing a Software engineer profession and currently based out of US.

Am fanatic about music and musical equipment's and have been researching for the best receivers and speakers around for quite some time.

I have bought a Denon AVR X4500H recently and have not yet settled down with the speakers.

My personal choice for speakers, considering a 12 x 12 room is as below:

SVS Dual SB-3000 subs at 2 diagonal corners of the room

SVS Ultra Towers pair serving 2 front channels

SVS Ultra Center

SVS Ultra Surround serving as middle L and R

SVS Prime Elevations at 4 corners of the room serving Height Front L/R and Height Rear L/R

And also thinking a pair of Yamaha NSIC800WH 140 RMS serving as ceiling speakers
===========================================================

@Audiophile Experts : Could you please provide your feedback's and suggestions on the above setup. Also am pretty confused with the Sub selection. Dual SB-3000 or Dual SB-2000 Pro's? Please suggest.

-Thanks
AG

Attachments

• SVS speaker selection.jpg
    SVS speaker selection.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 23
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new Denon AVR. SVS are good speakers and so are their subs.

Honestly, for your room size of 12 x 12 the speakers and subs you have selected are overkill and more often sound real bad in a smallish room.

You can have 2 x SVS bookshelf for Fronts L & R. SVS centre channel. So this completes your LCR.

2 x SVS book shelf as L & R surrounds.

Generally the subs are best places at the front L & R corners or near the fronts. However, depending on your room acoustics, you will have to keep trying various sub placements till you get an optimum sound. Dual SB 2000 are more than enough for your room or you can consider even 1 PB 2000 if you have the space for it. I am assuming that you want to go in for the sealed SB series. 2 x SB 2000 will be a real cracker for your space.

Would you please clarify by what you said about using 2 SVS ultra surrounds as middle L& R?

It is quite normal to think to plonk 4 speakers in the 4 corners of the room and hope for an immersive sound. But to get the best out of surround and heights speakers, Dolby has recommendations and guides for speaker placements.

Dolby Speaker placement Guide

There are many other speaker brands you could also consider.

Welcome to the forum. SVS subs are great. But tower speakers for such a small room would be an overkill for sure. BS should sound better.
Go for SB 2000. Not 3000 for such a room.
A single sub would be enough with proper placement.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Q:
Would you please clarify by what you said about using 2 SVS ultra surrounds as middle L& R?

Ans: Wanted to mean setup as attached where the SVS ultra surrounds would be positioned as SR and SL at a certain wall height.

Also, I wanted to go with the sealed sub woofer rather than the ported version due to space issues as height of the ported subs being the constraint.

Attachments

• SVS speaker allignment.jpg
    SVS speaker allignment.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. SVS subs are great. But tower speakers for such a small room would be an overkill for sure. BS should sound better.
Go for SB 2000. Not 3000 for such a room.
A single sub would be enough with proper placement.
Thanks for your valuable inputs.
Point taken on the subs.
Also for the towers will the SVS Prime Pinnacle Speakers be suitable? Please recommend.

Thanks,
AG

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new Denon AVR. SVS are good speakers and so are their subs.

Honestly, for your room size of 12 x 12 the speakers and subs you have selected are overkill and more often sound real bad in a smallish room.

You can have 2 x SVS bookshelf for Fronts L & R. SVS centre channel. So this completes your LCR.

Generally the subs are best places at the front L & R corners or near the fronts. However, depending on your room acoustics, you will have to keep trying various sub placements till you get an optimum sound. Dual SB 2000 are more than enough for your room or you can consider even 1 PB 2000 if you have the space for it. I am assuming that you want to go in for the sealed SB series. 2 x SB 2000 will be a real cracker for your space.

It is quite normal to think to plonk 4 speakers in the 4 corners of the room and hope for an immersive sound. But to get the best out of surround and heights speakers, Dolby has recommendations and guides for speaker placements.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Q:

Ans: Wanted to mean setup as attached where the SVS ultra surrounds would be positioned as SR and SL at a certain wall height.

Also, I wanted to go with the sealed sub woofer rather than the ported version due to space issues as height of the ported subs being the constraint.

Another question what is the Ideal Room size for such a setup?

Attachments

• SVS speaker allignment.jpg
    SVS speaker allignment.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2

Single SVS SB-2000 can Perform well upto 3000 Cubic Feet. Your room size is 12×12×9= 1300 Cubic feet. Your room doesn't require a Tower Speakers either unless you want to listen to stereo without Subwoofers connected. Go for SVS bookshelf as Front L& R. As >80% of the Home Theatre Audio comes from center channel, go with SVS ultra center which is one of the best. You can first use a single SVS SB2000 and only if you need improvement you can go for dual SW. SVS ultra surrounds are also a liitle bit overkill but you can go for it.. It is a 2 in 1 speaker as it can be used as both Surround & Surround-Back at the same time.

For your room size it's better to go for slightly bigger bookshelf speakers rather than towers as they may sound overwhelming for the room.Where as the Subwoofer is concerned , you may need to decide whether you like listening to music more or movies or both equally.
If it's movies then a single PB/PC 2000 pro will suffice. For music two sb 2000 subs would be enough or a single sb 3000. If you want the best of movies and music then go for a single SB 3000. It may not be as loud as the PB/PC 2000 in the lower frequencies below 25 hz but yet for your room size it may be adequate. For the mid bass frequencies above 38 hz , it will sound louder than the PB/PC2000. You can always add a second sub later if you feel so.
Pls note the PB 2000 is a big heavy sub. The Pc 2000 is lighter and occupies much less floor space than the PB 2000 but is much taller.
The SB 3000 may be the best of both worlds and is very compact and will fit nicely in your room.
I am using the earlier nodel PC 2000 in a 14 ft length X 11 ft height and width. For my needs it is more than enough with a lot more headroom to spare. I certainly dont need a 2nd sub in the room Maybe in the future may downsize to SB 3000.
Since you are based in the US, you can order them from SVS and hear it in your room. If you don't like it you can always return them. That's a great option that lets you decide in your own listening environment.

Last edited:

Another q
For your room size it's better to go for slightly bigger bookshelf speakers rather than towers as they may sound overwhelming for the room.Where as the Subwoofer is concerned , you may need to decide whether you like listening to music more or movies or both equally.
If it's movies then a single PB/PC 2000 pro will suffice. For music two sb 2000 subs would be enough or a single sb 3000. If you want the best of movies and music then go for a single SB 3000. It may not be as loud as the PB/PC 2000 in the lower frequencies below 25 hz but yet for your room size it may be adequate. For the mid bass frequencies above 38 hz , it will sound louder than the PB/PC2000. You can always add a second sub later if you feel so.
Pls note the PB 2000 is a big heavy sub. The Pc 2000 is lighter and occupies much less floor space than the PB 2000 but is much taller.
The SB 3000 may be the best of both worlds and is very compact and will fit nicely in your room.
I am using the earlier nodel PC 2000 in a 14 ft length X 11 ft height and width. For my needs it is more than enough with a lot more headroom to spare. I certainly dont need a 2nd sub in the room Maybe in the future may downsize to SB 3000.
Since you are based in the US, you can order them from SVS and hear it in your room. If you don't like it you can always return them. That's a great option that lets you decide in your own listening environment.
Thanks Nitin...With all suggestions ..I would stick with one SB3000 or might be a singel PB-2000 Pro

Single SVS SB-2000 can Perform well upto 3000 Cubic Feet. Your room size is 12×12×9= 1300 Cubic feet. Your room doesn't require a Tower Speakers either unless you want to listen to stereo without Subwoofers connected. Go for SVS bookshelf as Front L& R. As >80% of the Home Theatre Audio comes from center channel, go with SVS ultra center which is one of the best. You can first use a single SVS SB2000 and only if you need improvement you can go for dual SW. SVS ultra surrounds are also a liitle bit overkill but you can go for it.. It is a 2 in 1 speaker as it can be used as both Surround & Surround-Back at the same time.
Thanks Sathtom for all the suggestions ..Will update on the final setup

Just joined this forum and I'm excited reading the threads and to hear the experts speak.

Myself AG, from Kolkata pursuing a Software engineer profession and currently based out of US.

Am fanatic about music and musical equipment's and have been researching for the best receivers and speakers around for quite some time.

I have bought a Denon AVR X4500H recently and have not yet settled down with the speakers.

Hello AG first of all congrats on the Denon 4500H. Going with SVS is an excellent choice. But this config will surely overkill the room.

My choice :

Center - SVS Ultra Center

Front L&R - SVS ULTRA Bookshelf Speakers is more than enough considering your room is 12 X 12. But if u wish to have a tower then go for Prime Pinnalce( Not suggesting Ultra Towers since its an overkill & needs a way lot space than prime pinnacle). Also If you are going for the tower option then I would suggest you to buy subs later after hearing your LCR stage as the Ultra Center + Prime Pinnacle provides a way lot bass altogether.

Surround - SVS Ultra Surround as your SR & SL. U can use it as a bipole, dipole or you can make it as a 7.1 in duet mode and it gives u the flexibility of installing in rear or side as you like.

Height Channel - SVS Prime Elevation in back & front height channels. Either you can do this or go for ceiling speaker option. Dont club these two.

SUBs - As I told before, hear from the above config and decide the sub.

Also you will need an external amp. Atleast to fire up the LCR. Get a Emotiva XPA-3 for that. Rest u can hook up to Denon.

SVS Dual SB-3000 subs at 2 diagonal corners of the room

SVS Ultra Towers pair serving 2 front channels

SVS Ultra Center

SVS Ultra Surround serving as middle L and R

SVS Prime Elevations at 4 corners of the room serving Height Front L/R and Height Rear L/R

And also thinking a pair of Yamaha NSIC800WH 140 RMS serving as ceiling speakers
===========================================================

@Audiophile Experts : Could you please provide your feedback's and suggestions on the above setup. Also am pretty confused with the Sub selection. Dual SB-3000 or Dual SB-2000 Pro's? Please suggest.

-Thanks
AG

Congratulations AG on your purchase of Denon-X4500H.

I think the suggestions made by the members here are absolutely correct. I also have a similar setup in my living room which is (12 feet * 14 feet). I am using my ultra bookshelves with Yamaha A780 and believe me I can't crank them up above -10dB. I owed Klipsch R-28F towers before for some time and they were too much for my space.

Ultra Center and Prime Elevations are also excellent speakers for their value and performance.

The only suggestion I would like to make here is that you can go with some other dipole surround and save some money. This doesn't mean ultra surround are bad but they are too expensive. You can go with Klipsch RP-402S or Definitive Tech SR9040 which have similar specs and they both are very sensitive speakers.

About subs you can go for 2 subs if usage for the system is more for movies. SVS subs are great, I own a PB-2000 myself but I will suggest to check for Monolith Subs as well.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back