Question regarding Yamaha RX-V473

hemchandran

Hi, can the front panel USB in RX-V473 used to play movies from a pen drive?
If not can you suggest a suitable media player for adding to this AVR.

Hi, can the front panel USB in RX-V473 used to play movies from a pen drive?
If not can you suggest a suitable media player for adding to this AVR.

Hey Hemachandran, Sorry to drop the bomb but the front panel is only useful for playing music files and updating firmware :p.. Any decent media player with HDMI should do the trick... personally I would prefer the WD Live/popcorn hour c-20(As far as the reviews I ve checked):eek:hyeah:

Dear rud3dawg, I have also bought one 473 last week. This media player you have suggested, does it play all files(music videos, movies) downloaded from u-tube ( these are generally FLV files)? Thanks

How much did you buy the 473 for? Am wondering about the ongoing prices of these.

"How much did you buy the 473 for? Am wondering about the ongoing prices of these"

36K for 473 is a bit on the higher side..

It sells for 33,900 here..

NewArrival

I haven't bought anything from there..It's just to indicate the price..

yes it is a high price. Rather it should be treated as the highest price. There are no other shops here so no choice. I'll not advice anybody to buy at this price.

"How much did you buy the 473 for? Am wondering about the ongoing prices of these"

36K for 473 is a bit on the higher side..

It sells for 33,900 here..

NewArrival

I haven't bought anything from there..It's just to indicate the price..

To me, even INR 33,900 is too high for RX-V473. Last year, RX-V471 (2012 model) was quoted at 28k (without bargain). Just for the additional 4k passthrough feature (which I feel not useful at least for the next 5 to 6 years) that RX-473 has, it should be less than 30k.

i belive he bought it from sonodyne store who also sells denon and yam avr along with sonodyne pructs hence the high margin........
anyway back to topic..
yes a media player is the solution....many are there from low to high price..
avr usb port is useless frill imho

Not entirely. It does help me but not the way the manufacturer intended :p
I am using it to power the tiny cooling fans placed on the AVR. :eek:hyeah:
(the unit is kept inside a rack closed on 5 sides)

Wouldn't one be able to play their music files on a USB drive? I'd have thought that's one of the conveniences of these for someone who's not in the Apple universe.

Wouldn't one be able to play their music files on a USB drive? I'd have thought that's one of the conveniences of these for someone who's not in the Apple universe.

You can definetly use it to play music. But then it does not play flac I suppose. The interface is usually choppy / clumsy in such inbuilt players.

And I am yet to come across someone who has an avr of this cost and above and does not have a player with digital out.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Well maybe in a few months, you may have someone who plays music like this *sheepish grin*.

Okay promise not to laugh. I am very much interested in getting this receiver but would play my music either through a Sansa Clip+ or if it's convenient, directly through this USB interface. I do have a WDTV having a digital output but my first thought was 'This is a very convenient way to play casual music instead of switching on the WDTV, navigating to the files, etc.'.

PS - I am just a casual music listener.

i belive he bought it from sonodyne store who also sells denon and yam avr along with sonodyne pructs hence the high margin........
anyway back to topic..
yes a media player is the solution....many are there from low to high price..

Robbed! Accepted. Lesson learnt hard way.Hope other newbies are reading this.:sad:

Hey Hemachandran, Sorry to drop the bomb but the front panel is only useful for playing music files and updating firmware :p.. Any decent media player with HDMI should do the trick... personally I would prefer the WD Live/popcorn hour c-20(As far as the reviews I ve checked):eek:hyeah:

Can the WD live play 3d movies too. I read in some forum that only few media players have this capabilty........

Ok heres what I've noticed guys and most of it can be usefull.

1. USB port on the AVR is definitely useful for playing serveral formats of audio including FLACS(Which is my primary audio format.) :eek:hyeah:

2. @ Hemachandran: I use a very old Freeagent 500GB Ext HDD to play 3d movies by using my Samsung plasma to directly process and play the file..ofcourse most fomats are compatible...including 3D.. applying the same to the WD TV, if it can be connected using a HDMI 1.4 (a especially) and if its able to play 4k resolution or High res content..I feel it will be able to play the 3D content.. Because in the end the WD live does support loads of file formats... (Lets hope am true here :p ) :rolleyes:

3. I agree..to the fact that vnmathur57 was quoted a higher price.. has anyone tried Avenuesounds... they have a fairly reasonable price for such AVRs , the catch is mostly the products are a 110V based ones and you d need a Step down for em.. just like I am using for my Yam AX2000... :eek:hyeah: ; Also check this page for the WD Media player

4. Since I read that it pays WMA.. I am guessing it also supports Flacs..:eek:

5. You cannot use NTFS formal and Ext HDDS with power support to connect using the USB though... :sad:

6. @ shanmune: IMHO, wouldnt say the 4k resolutions will take 5 yrs. maybe early.. the rate things are moving these days...am confident the STB s wont go 4K .. may be few Eng movies by 2- 3 more yrs..just may be..:rolleyes:

Hope this helps guys :D

Last edited:

2. @ Hemachandran: I use a very old Freeagent 500GB Ext HDD to pay 3d movies by using my Samsung plasma to directly process and play the file..ofcourse most fomats are compatible...including 3D.. applying the same the WD TV if it can be connected using a HDMI 1.4 (a especially) and if its able to play 4k resolution or High res content..I feel it will be able to play the 3D content.. Because in the end the WD live support the file formats... (Lets hope am true here :p ) :rolleyes:

Do you mean you are playing 3D movies directly on your TV through the USB ports provided inbuilt in the TV?

Actually i was going to ask this question next you jumped on me :clapping::yahoo:

1. USB port on the AVR is definitely useful for playing serveral formats of audio including FLACS(Which is my primary audio format.) :eek:hyeah:

2. @ Hemachandran: I use a very old Freeagent 500GB Ext HDD to play 3d movies by using my Samsung plasma to directly process and play the file..ofcourse most fomats are compatible...including 3D.. applying the same to the WD TV, if it can be connected using a HDMI 1.4 (a especially) and if its able to play 4k resolution or High res content..I feel it will be able to play the 3D content.. Because in the end the WD live does support loads of file formats... (Lets hope am true here :p ) :rolleyes:

:D

Can you please tell me whether WD TV Live passthrough Dolby TruHD & DTS HD MA over HDMI or not? I have checked all over internet but nowhere have I found this information on the net. I was considering Dune HD TV102 or Popbox V8.

But now I am bent on WDTV Live (7999/-) or AC Ryan Play On HD Mini2(7300/-) As per the info provided by company, Playon does passthrough HD audio formats but not sure about WD TV Live.

Back