Quiet ceiling fan?

Orko

Hi all, the weather has been ridiculously hot and I've been having to turn up the fan in my listening room, otherwise I'll get baked into the sofa. Now this creates suboptimal listening conditions because the bloody fan is so loud at higher speeds that delicate passages in the music get lost in the whirring noise.

Which leads me to the question I pose before this forum: is there a quiet ceiling fan that one can buy? (Please don't suggest ACs because I'd prefer not to have them)

Initially I was looking at Dyson bladeless fans (I believe they're fancifully called air multipliers) but going by a few videos on YouTube, they seem to be quite noisy as well. I read somewhere that DC motors make less noise than AC motors but are there any DC motor fans available in India? I also read that bigger and wider blades revolving at a slower speed can give the same volume of air displacement at less, er, volume in terms of sound. Any truth in that?

If anyone has wrestled with the same problem, I'd love to hear your thoughts. If it helps, the listening room is smallish about 12 ft x 13 ft with a ceiling height of 9.5 ft.

Last edited:
Hi all, the weather has been ridiculously hot and I've been having to turn up the fan in my listening room, otherwise I'll get baked into the sofa.

they creak rattle hum though there is no locust wind

I've been grappling the same problem, I solved it by opting for the "baked into the sofa" solution. If there is another no a/c involving solution, would be much interested.

The a/c units neighbors run have seriously compromised my quiet night time listening, bloody things are so loud and "maintenance free" ie apparently never cleaned or serviced that they creak rattle hum though there is no locust wind

The headphone/IEM crowd grins broadly I guess :eek:

ciao
gr

I use an AC.

But on occasion I've used the fan at full speed and simply bumped up the amp.

It got noisy to the point my wife and mom asked me to lower the volume, but the good thing was the fan "disappeared".

I solved it by opting for the "baked into the sofa" solution.

I have to admit that this is my favoured solution, given the lack of alternatives. But it only works when I'm listening alone. If my wife joins in, the fan comes on. And no, one doesn't even think of suggesting otherwise. Also, when there are friends over, it's impractical to expect people to sweat through the music. I've tried.

I use an AC. But on occasion I've used the fan at full speed and simply bumped up the amp.

Well, bumping up the amp is what I do when the aforementioned wife sits with me. But in a tune like, say, Harvest Moon by Cassandra Wilson, there are spaces between the notes that are so quiet that they demand a certain silence in the room; it's a travesty to have a fan whirring madly overhead.

Anyway. I'm hoping someone is going to pipe in with a brilliant solution any moment now so we can appreciate the songs and avoid the sauna.

PS: Any thoughts on the big, wide blades theory? Or the AC/DC motors?

have a look on the wall fans. those rotating ones, I observed they create less noise then a ceiling fan at full speed.
else ac with ceiling fan at medium speeds is most quite and effectively cool.

I would suggest getting the largest blades and use at lowest possible speed. I believe blade size tops out at 56" in India. The difference in air noise and flow between a 48" and 56" is sizeable. Not sure if a DC motor would help since the noise is probably of the air churning and not the motor.
Have you looked at air coolers? Though they are most effective in dry heat. Not sure of Bangalore humidity levels.

Last edited:
Bit off topic, but I feel the older (15-20 years old) fans were much better than new Gen. specially from CG, usha & Bajaj. Let alone the reliability factor, but for low noise too. New Ones just look fancy and make lot of air noise (not motor) but give much lesser flow.

Last edited:
I installed a decorative fan from Khaitan. Primarily for the looks, but at the same time it is also much much quieter than a "normal" fan as well as a windows AC. It's as quite as a good quality split AC. So, rather quite I'd say. But the air delivery isn't comparable to best of "normal" fans.

There is truth in larger/wider blades theory. They displace more air, hence more air movement with less speed. But wider/larger blades are harder to move than smaller ones (small/large cone dynamic transducer is a good analogy). So generally the fans with larger/wider blades come with more powerful motors. You could go for Usha Fontana series if you go that direction.

usha%20fontana%20orchid-600x750.png

[IMG2]http://n3.sdlcdn.com/imgs/a/u/6/Lasko-Lazer-40-40420IN-Tower-SDL847698006-1-3eead.jpg[/IMG2]

Another good fan with acceptable results without breaking the bank would be Bionaire BT150R Tower Fan Price in India - Buy Bionaire BT150R Tower Fan Online on Snapdeal

And finally, if you are feeling mischievous enough, you can go full blast with this.

I must add, after adding that fan you may be tempted to install two of them in left and right corners as well as play with the placement for the optimum results.

Last edited:
have a look on the wall fans. those rotating ones, I observed they create less noise then a ceiling fan at full speed.

Wall fans remind me of government office cubicles. They won't pass the approval process at home, I'm afraid.

Have you looked at air coolers? Though they are most effective in dry heat. Not sure of Bangalore humidity levels.

Bangalore is fairly dry so they could work. Are they quiet?

Orko, have u considered fanning your wife with the traditional Japanese fan when she listens to music:)

Haha, I haven't actually. If I do, I fear she may in turn fan my cheek with her open palm, repeatedly and with some force.

And finally, if you are feeling mischievous enough, you can go full blast with this. I must add, after adding that fan you may be tempted to install two of them in left and right corners as well as play with the placement for the optimum results.

Hahaha, would I need to spend more on cables?

---

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Right now, it seems that wider blade fans are the answer. I never thought I will be auditioning fans but I suppose I will have to. Thankfully, the weather in Bangalore has turned (just a bit but it's promising) so if I'm lucky I may be able to stave off this decision till next year.

Well relieved to see others having the same concerns :) best I could find was the tower fan focussed on the better half .. Everything else makes noise [emoji35]. Else go the Japanese way as prem suggested !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well relieved to see others having the same concerns :) best I could find was the tower fan focussed on the better half.

It is a pressing issue, isn't it? Or should I say hot topic. I will audition tower fans too. Although if I do choose to go with that form factor, the Dyson would be my choice, if only for the design.

I'm wondering why AC is not a choice? Anything like electrical interference with audio/video equipment? I use ACs both in my den where I listen to music most of the time and also in the home theater room. They are pretty silent, but even more they make the room cool and bearable.

I'm using the Ortem ceiling fans from Metro. Have been working excellent for the better part of 10 years, very reliable and even at full blast are not very noisy. Air coolers though are noisy... even the upmarket Symphony ones are actually noisy.

For me a combo of AC + fan at low speed works very well.

You can also demo pedestal fans. I am using one of the below model for few years and quite happy with its overall performance. The noise is very negligible.
http://www.usha.com/fans/pedestal-fans/regular-fans

You can look at other brands as well.
Best part I like about these fans is they are very portable & silent. You can move anywhere, any distance you want. Unlike ceiling fans they give cooler air.

You can dis-mental to almost fully and store them in very limited space when you don't use (unlike coolers). So space saver.

Last edited:
The "noise" is due to the distance of the fan (blades) from the ceiling and the distance of side walls from blades. The more this distance, the lower the "noise".

Have been using Havells decorative fan and it is not so much noisy like regular fans even at full speed. Probably due to the better build, rollers and thin blades. But it is 5x expensive.

You can also demo pedestal fans.

I have a pedestal fan but I'm looking for something quieter.

Have you checked the bladeless ones? While Dyson is quite expensive, there are cheaper chinese ones which are noisier.

I'll be travelling next month and will have an opportunity to check out a bladeless fan like a Dyson. If the Chinese ones are noisier, that rules them out.

The "noise" is due to the distance of the fan (blades) from the ceiling and the distance of side walls from blades. The more this distance, the lower the "noise".

Hmm, that's a thought. I could try lowering the existing fan from the ceiling and check. I just have to remember to get off the sofa very slowly and carefully, or they'll cast me for Ned Stark in the next GoT.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back