R2R Audio gd DAC vs DIY r2r

Sunilngcl

i was planning to built an r2r dac with the help of a mutual friend for my personal use. But a friend is forcing me to find a used audio gd instead.
Long back i had used wolfson based audio gd [it lacked a certain punch], then changed to schit multi,then qutest , since both missed a certain musical feel i tried a chinese DIY r2r of a friend which sounds brilliant for its price of 40k.

anyone using r2r DIY ? Your review on those ?
considering i have to wait 1-2 months for the parts
should i wait or go ahead ?

Audio gd r2r is worth the wait if you can find one that is. I had one for sale but you are too late. Diy r2r i have seen only cheap models. They lack the detailing

I am a long term user of 2 audiogd r2r dacs and 1 audiogd wolfson based dac. Currently i am using audiogd r8he dac. Basic sound signature of audiogd is warm, liquid and musical. As its inherent nature of r2r, audiogd r2r dacs are not as detailed and airy as non r2r counterparts but they have much more expansive and more thick and filling sound for instriluments and vocals. Digital arefacts are missing in r2r dacs so they sound full of emotions for me instead of just analytic detail. I have used chord qutest also, and and found it to be thinner sounding than audiogd dac 19 that i had. Especially i have found that the vocal quality on audiogd r2r dacs is outstanding. If you are fond of vinyl like sound, you will not regret an r2r audiogd dac. More over if you like old bollywood numbers then this is the dac that will satisfy you immensely. All that said i found their dacs are not entirely neutral and may add their own colour to sound. They come with a number of different firmwares and filter options, os/non os modes that help tailoring the sound according to taste, so flexible in that sense also. If you are looking for airy sound that is full of details and spark, look elsewhere.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back