Random thoughts about HiFi audio

krishtrinity

First of all this is just some random thinking and not to be taken seriously,ever since I was a kid I was never satisfied with audio in tv,I grew up in a home where my parents didn't even allowed me to increase the TV volume beyond a limit.After I finally bought some creative 2.1 it was wonderful experience for a few months then I tired of them as well,after that I got into cheap 5.1 after couple of speakers same story as before.Then I finally discovered the stereo bookshelf speakers I have seen them in pictures before but always thought they sucked because how can they compare to the mighty Logitech 5.1.After a bit of reading got the Micca bookshelf and lepai amp and then before I know it I own 2 pairs of monitor audio speakers with Marantz amp,DAC and decent subwoofer.Now I am thinking that I am missing something,everyone of my friends are floored hearing my setup but I am not 100% satisfied with them.My question is are we ever going to be happy with a HiFi system or are we(audiophiles or movie or music enthusiasts) going to upgrade year after year.What are you thoughts on this,has anyone ever build a system in which they are entirely happy with..

How to achieve satisfaction in life? Hmmmm....... Its human nature and general rule says no one is ever completely satisfied and can never be. This keeps us going and growing. So enjoy the ride. There would never have been so much development if humans got satisfied with what they had. Same goes in audio way also.

Some abstract & dated thought on IEM design and analogy to human life:

1. LEGISLATION

A. Dynamic diaphragms

Dynamic drivers are the most common type of earphones available. Their overall fidelity of sound is dependent on dividends ranging from the weight, size etc of the membrane to the material used & the stiffness of the voice coil but this is just for talks and there are lots of other factors that judge the fidelity. To quote :

"The operating principle consists of a stationary magnetic element affixed to the frame of the headphone which sets up a static magnetic field. The magnetic element in headphones is typically composed of ferrite or neodymium. The diaphragm, typically fabricated from lightweight, high stiffness to mass ratio cellulose, polymer, carbon material, or the like, is attached to a coil of wire (voice coil) which is immersed in the static magnetic field of the stationary magnet. The diaphragm is actuated by the attached voice coil, when the varying current of an audio signal is passed through the coil. The alternating magnetic field produced by the current through the coil reacts against the static magnetic field in turn, causing the coil and attached diaphragm to move the air, thus producing sound."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Headphone-transducer.jpg/220px-Headphone-transducer.jpg

The bigger the better is a fad much less a universally acknowledged statement for dynamic membranes. They will work better with more voltage, more freedom for movement and more size. Just like how the human behavior tends to be - free, lethargic and always wanting more. Very laid back, undemanding. Looking for that extra space and 'to be free'. Rid of all guilt and taking as it comes. Relaxed and unassuming. I am just notifying how we completely forget our instincts to help judge so many things and rely on technology and silver spoon feeders to make decisions based on their statistics and good will.

B. Balanced Armatures
Balanced armatures are slightly different in their operation and sound ; very filled/un-airy. On top of this trait, they hold a taut bass response and better measurements of Total Harmonic Distortion(THD). It might not be that more armatures are needed to render a better sounding earphone and just one might be enough to do wonders(Etymotic ER-4S is reference flat earphone considered to be the golden standard of accuracy for decades together). These are more studio oriented technology, and a couple of balanced armatures channeled will give dynamics equivalent to higher full size headphones. Balanced armatures earphones aim at retrieval of details in music. They are generally over-sensitive and can provide deafening volumes at half the volume bar of say an I-pod touch.

To quote :

"A balanced armature is a sound transducer design primarily intended to increase the electrical efficiency of the element by eliminating the stress on the diaphragm characteristic of many other magnetic transducer systems. As shown schematically in the first diagram, it consists of a moving magnetic armature that is pivoted so it can move in the field of the permanent magnet. When precisely centered in the magnetic field there is no net force on the armature, hence the term 'balanced.' As illustrated in the second diagram, when there is electric current through the coil, it magnetizes the armature one way or the other, causing it to rotate slightly one way or the other about the pivot thus moving the diaphragm to make sound."

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyq11V0SvVqmO7eDe9K_PjMgra2lAXnc0tMQrlfCq8Y5AgGQBJ

Balanced Armatures don't take much space, provide excellent isolation due to their ability to be incorporated into small housings or in custom moulds. Some high end multi-driver customs(like JH-13 Pro) even provide more dynamics and detail than higher end full sized open back headphones.

2. PRE-SUPPOTHESIS

What I am getting to is nothing but my plight of analysis for the world. I was and am(in view of feedback from my parents) a laid back guy. I never fight for the higher spot or compete. I prefer the safe relaxed way of life. But I am sure if the world was full of people like me, bribery for example would have been tripled. I need more than what I get, more space and freedom from any routine. In other words, I am or at the least was a dynamic driver kinda person. If all of us were free beings with infinite amenities and assets that always overcome our needs, we would be the same old dynamic driver, would n't we? Incompetent and plebeian.

But our community has given us that extra current, that change in out-look. Our society has put that extra pressure on us to compete and be on top. Be tight in what you wish for. Be aggressive and get what you want, no matter the route or tools. Its funny is n't it? Community and in general today's world wants us to behave like balanced armatures.

3. RE-ELECTION

Yet we are in essence, dynamic drivers trying to live up to what our community wants of us? Have to compete and disgrace our fellow humans with taut bass response and aggressive precision?
Is life a hybrid venture?

C'est la vie

......going to upgrade year after year.What are you thoughts on this,has anyone ever build a system in which they are entirely happy with..

The urge to 'upgrade' is very strong initially . As time goes by , you hear a lot of systems and begin to ( hopefully) understand what you want your system to sound like. At that point you can stop and focus more on enjoying music on your system rather than worry about what more it might be 'lacking'.
You draw the line . If you don't get to that, you will keep feeling dissatisfied with your system and keep on trying to get to the 'ultimate' system which doesn't really exist !. :)
Everything is relative ! You should know when to stop and sit back and enjoy. It's all in your hands ! ;)

You will get satisfied only when you will realize that you are neck deep with your debt and you will be killed (by your wife, if you are married) if you spend a single rupee further on the system.

On the other hand, if you listen to our old music such as Disco Dancer or anything by Anu Malik through a good DAC conected to nice amp, you will be amazed.

For the beginners, just to realize the potential, please get a Schiit Fulla and listen to your music on computer, I gurantee that you will love it.

Finally, my message is for those who love or quest for good quality sound.

The urge to 'upgrade' is very strong initially . As time goes by , you hear a lot of systems and begin to ( hopefully) understand what you want your system to sound like. At that point you can stop and focus more on enjoying music on your system rather than worry about what more it might be 'lacking'.
You draw the line . If you don't get to that, you will keep feeling dissatisfied with your system and keep on trying to get to the 'ultimate' system which doesn't really exist !. :)
Everything is relative ! You should know when to stop and sit back and enjoy. It's all in your hands ! ;)

True & Nicely quoted. From my experience, the sound difference of a decent system which costing about 1,50,000 ( Amp + Speaker + one source) placed in a right size room and a 10L system is very marginal. Yes.. some fine detail and dynamics are there. But you feel it only when you do critical listening and sitting in front of speaker at a defined place with good recording.

Many times I felt, a system shining always depends on a good recording and skills of Sound Engineer.

We should start to enjoy the music instead of worrying about system. Unfortunately this not happening. Upgrade bugs always biting us including me.

Nothing wrong with that I say, yes it is human greed, but nothing really wrong with that as long as you're not stealing.

It is a good thing to spend on your hobbies and especially on something that gives you pleasure.

I am myself in love with technology and spend a lot on the latest gadgets. My latest 4K monitor cost me as much as 4 times a regular 1080p monitor, but there is nothing like gaming in 4K or even watching the latest YouTube videos and Netflix in 4K glory.

I'm not too much into audiophile territory and listen to music mainly with computer speakers or Bluetooth speakers, but I can definitely understand the urge to get the best speakers that money can buy.

Audiophiles are never satisfied bro. I myself have been crazy for car and home audio system. Even my family hates my passion but still I have upgraded nearly 12+ car audio setups and 9+ home audio systems in last 4-5 years. So stop thinking about what will completely satisfy you and go on upgrading. Right now I own imported high end Pioneer champion pro ts-w3002d4 1000 watts rms subwoofer in car(shakes my windshield) & explosive 1580w rms 5.2 home theater component system sony HT M5. But still I am not even 50% satisfied!

Audiophiles are never satisfied bro. I myself have been crazy for car and home audio system. Even my family hates my passion but still I have upgraded nearly 12+ car audio setups and 9+ home audio systems in last 4-5 years. So stop thinking about what will completely satisfy you and go on upgrading. Right now I own imported high end Pioneer champion pro ts-w3002d4 1000 watts rms subwoofer in car(shakes my windshield) & explosive 1580w rms 5.2 home theater component system sony HT M5. But still I am not even 50% satisfied!

"1580w rms 5.2 home theater " ?????
What is that? How much power does it consume?

Somewhere along you may come across kit that isn't necessarily an upgrade but satisfies you( to a satisfactory extent) or somewhere along you might just realize there is no perfect system and just kick back and enjoy the music.

Maybe we should pause and try to figure out what the old saying " mind over matter " really means ?

I've started on a new scheme. I've spent ( often wastefully ) on all kinds of audio systems and had to change them , the real reason for spending freely was because there wasn't too much control over it. The concept "Value for money" was only for the books because one "wanted it so badly" that we spent the money even if it was a lot . Where was the brake/control ?

So now I donate a percentage of the cost of anything I buy to charity. That way I feel that I'm not sponging off society ! I feel sorry for all the economically challenged people and if I am going to spend a lot on something really not so essential, the best thing would be to give away some to them also ! No charities. Direct to people who I come across in daily life !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back