Rare Find - Pioneer PL-15 TT & Pioneer CS-15 Spks

santhosh

Look what I found!!:yahoo:

Pioneer PL-15 [New in Box condition]and Pioneer CS-15 Speakers from the early of 1970's:licklips: Reading on Vinyl Engine, AudioKarma etc indicate that their Vintage is circa 1970.

@Sachu888, Rajiv, Anilva, Hiten: Thanks for your advice and encouragement in this regard. Your inputs are much appreciated.

All of them mentioned ^ had a high regard for the stuff Pioneer made in that era. Rajiv and Hiten (still does) have in the past owned a Pioneer PL-12D. This is a successor to that model and very similar except that the PL-15 is semi-automatic.

Here are some pics of the PL-15:
TT as I found it:
0d788115.jpg

b545c61e.jpg

Unboxing:
8a7efb8b.jpg

Pioneer Cart (Stylus needs replacement)
f38ac3c9.jpg

Some pics of internals:
9e6348fd.jpg

Belt has become brittle over the years. Replacement belt available for under $10 on eBay. Will make a "Jugaad" belt as per Anilkumar's advice.
8392bf4e.jpg

8e186ed3.jpg

On my Audio Rack- where they were destined for:eek:hyeah::
d7de51fd.jpg

Thermocol stuck to the chords as they have been packed for a long time:
6a40a66f.jpg

Pics of speakers coming up....to be contd

PS: Sorry for poor pics shot from my phone. Pics are from before cleaning the TT as I wanted some "As is" pics. Managed to clean it up a bit last night, but requires more time, there is a bit of gum from tape, bit of dust and some thermocole stuck to parts. The hinges for the cover show signs of rust, but nothing major.

Pics of the CS-15 speakers. Chap claims this is an unused piece but was left in the attic. There are no visible signs of use, so my guess is they are new. Anyways, these were bought for my backyard/sitout where they will be placed at a height pointing downwards... like in those days. The backyard itself has a period feel to it, so guess it will gel well there.

4e18d311.jpg

Manual
59e3a16b.jpg

Circular pads for mounting on wall:
4276d5e9.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Santhosh

Beautiful table :). BTW I have an old(unused, sitting in the box) pioneer cart sitting somewhere. I'd be glad to give it away if it can find some use. I'll dig it up and give you a call when I find it.

Cheers!

Simply Fab...Santhosh, you're the personified audio treasure hunter here...do you have any information on how these lovely pieces of equipment ended up getting stored for so long? All the very best!!

hmmmmmmmm ...... I need to visit you "without" fail .... on my next visit to Bangalore, and spend the entire day. BTW, I am strictly non-vegetarian .. :indifferent14:

Pics of the CS-15 speakers. Chap claims this is an unused piece but was left in the attic. There are no visible signs of use, so my guess is they are new. Anyways, these were bought for my backyard/sitout where they will be placed at a height pointing downwards... like in those days. The backyard itself has a period feel to it, so guess it will gel well there.

4e18d311.jpg

Manual
59e3a16b.jpg

Circular pads for mounting on wall:
4276d5e9.jpg

Great find Santhosh,you will surely enjoy this one.

Regards,
Sachin

Congrats bro. I think your place will soon become museum of audio classics :D.
Yes I have PL12D and Technics sl-2000. PL12D was bought by my granddad. still working fine with regular use. These things were built to last. Enjoy.

Congrats bro. I think your place will soon become museum of audio classics :D.
Yes I have PL12D and Technics sl-2000. PL12D was bought by my granddad. still working fine with regular use. These things were built to last. Enjoy.

How is the SQ of the PL compared to the Technics?

--G0bble

How is the SQ of the PL compared to the Technics?

--G0bble

Gobble bro, as I don't have high end system haven't got a clue. But technics with shure cartridge is more detailed. But my pioneer sounds sweet. So sometimes I wonder should I bother about upgrading at all.

Santosh,

Heartiest congratulations on your new acquisitions! The TT looks quite impressive. Would like to know the story of how you got them. Share the sonics once they are up and running. BTW, I had trouble gauging the size of the speakers from your pictures. How big or small are they?

Regards

hmmmmmmmm ...... I need to visit you "without" fail .... on my next visit to Bangalore, and spend the entire day. BTW, I am strictly non-vegetarian .. :indifferent14:

Hi santhosh,

Awesome stuff. Will drop in when at bangalore.

BTW unlike avidyarthy, can excuse you for some egg based dish. :eek:hyeah:

N.Murali

Thanks Reubensm, Srini, Asitda, Avidyarthy, Murali Sir, Hitenbhai, Narendra, Sachin for your kind words.

@Reubensm & Asit: I got this from a chap(nice guy, by the way) who deals in Antiques. I actually went to him for an antique writing table for my Dad but did not like any. So I was generally looking around his shop and saw this carton. The history as per the dealer is that this was brought from UAE by someone who was from Bangalore but working in UAE. This was in storage and forgotten about until it was recently found and brought in by his family for sale.

Size of speakers is 18"H x 11"W x 8"D. Smallish fullrange speakers that sound good in my little bit of testing. Here is a pic that might help relate to it's size. Yes, my son Tejas has been trained to sit in the sweetspot:).

37faedf9.jpg

Avidyarthy & Murali Sir: You folks are welcome anytime. Have noted down your preferences:).

Last edited:
WOW :licklips:

Santhosh buddy, you are really unearthing some vintage gear @ a very fast pace :D Heartiest congratulations & hope to have a listen to these too when I am next in bengaluru. Yes, you are heading towards the path of Rajiv (Have suggested to him to open a audio museum) where vintage audio lovers can feast their eyes & ears :licklips:

Really really happy for you :)

Congrats Santosh for the new addition to your list.
When do you plan to set it up and share the first impressions.

--Vinay

Thanks Dave. Yes, Rajiv's system is too good and so is his collection of goodies. Though I have a soft corner for most things vintage, I was definitely inspired by Rajiv and few other such as Anilva, GeorgeO & Suri(to name a few) whose homes I have been fortunate to visit:).

Vinay, the TT just needs a new cart, belt and some lubrication before it starts singing. Will order parts soon. Motor is working fine and so is the cue-ing mechanism. Will try and get it to play in a few days - a month at max.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back