Raspberry pi 4 : How to? and is it possible?

tusharshukla1991

Hello All,
I hope everyone is safe and enjoying movies and music during quarantine :)
I was getting bored so I bought raspberry pi 4 play around and brush up some python skills.
Then, I started watching videos on youtube on how we can use it as streaming device. So, I can now play contents of my harddisk on raspberry pi and using hdmi pass it on you my TV from where it goes to my Amplifier via SPDIF.

Now, I am trying to use raspberry pi 4 for Prime and Netflix and as airplay device but no success yet. Has anyone tried to do so? and would like to share some experience maybe some links which were actually helpful.

lets have a discussion on raspberry pi 4 :)

Best Regards
Tushar

@tushar , How good is the Raspberry Pi 4 as streaming device ? I am planning to buy one and use it as media streaming player.
Your suggestion would be helpful in deciding on that.

@tushar , How good is the Raspberry Pi 4 as streaming device ? I am planning to buy one and use it as media streaming player.

I am not sure about the pricing as of now but 4 months back I felt it's expensive and it's better to go with Fire TV Stick 4K or Mi box if you want to use it for streaming. Also you have an advantage of having main stream media player with nice GUI and great customer support.

It's really good, I don't use it much though... I bought it to play around and try different OS like kodi, volumio etc.
It is specially good for playing contents from HDD... Smooth pictures even at 4k

I tried to install some OS for appleTV mirroring but there was significant lag while mirroring macbook.

@bpranay : I agree, even I have firestick but for content of harddisk raspberry is a way to go

It's really good, I don't use it much though... I bought it to play around and try different OS like kodi, volumio etc.
It is specially good for playing contents from HDD... Smooth pictures even at 4k

I tried to install some OS for appleTV mirroring but there was significant lag while mirroring macbook.

@bpranay : I agree, even I have firestick but for content of harddisk raspberry is a way to go

Plex app is available to play video from HDD. It oragnises all your HDD content in way how Netflix and Amazon prime do. It's free for the basic version of Plex which is more than enough for HDD streaming on mobile, laptops and Smart Tv's

it is for DIY stuff.. i tried PLEX on it and can be decent but not great. any thing you do on Pi4 buy the heat sink. once you start heavy lifting it will b hot. it can be used as wireless NAS, audio streaming. i have one around catching dust nothing much. :D

Please try to install music streaming apps like Spotify, Tidal etc. Evaluate the performance and this can be alternative for music streamer .

Thanks for the info. In few reviews of Raspberry Pi 4 , they quoted that Its not very flexible in streaming media player. I wanted to use Pi 4 as media player as well as small desktop kind of PC.
Any idea that Windows can be installed in Pi 4? If so then that would be great deal

Thanks for the info. In few reviews of Raspberry Pi 4 , they quoted that Its not very flexible in streaming media player. I wanted to use Pi 4 as media player as well as small desktop kind of PC.
Any idea that Windows can be installed in Pi 4? If so then that would be great deal

I do not think you can install Windwos on Pi4 or any of the ARM based hardware. For your use case look for the Intel NUC and its a simple fanless PC which can do all of your reqs easily and has much better hardware and specs compared to Pi

I see one post in xda forum that one of the member installed Windows 10 on Pi4 and he is looking for USB drivers. The link below

I am thinking if USB is supported then , Pi4 will act as full fledged Windows PC in low budget

I see one post in xda forum that one of the member installed Windows 10 on Pi4 and he is looking for USB drivers. The link below

I am thinking if USB is supported then , Pi4 will act as full fledged Windows PC in low budget
Why would one want to use windows on 4gb ram... Better get ubuntu or mint linux.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back