Raspberry pi with audiophile Dac HAT

Rosenarayanappa

Hi,
Could you please share your experiences. What is the best DAC hat you have tried with pi.
Looking fir this as a transport to feed into rega brio.
Thanks

I have two types with me. First I tried the IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ . This has the analogue signal out. Its very simple to put it together. Later when I bought a DAC, I switched to Allo Digione Signature player. This has got digital output which I am feeding to my DAC.
I am happy with the performance. I have noticed SQ quality difference when you use a normal power adapter vs linear power supply or battery source. Please consider that as well.

I use volumio software. Spotify is just ok. However if you play FLAC files there is definite improvement is SQ.

I ordered this from Fab To lab online site.

Ref:
www.allo.com/sparky/digione-signature-player.html
iqaudio.co.uk/hats/8-pi-dac.html

I Have tested multiple DACS and found Allo Boss to be the best sounding overall for I2S for the price. I even tried ESS , AK etc with USB to I2S .

AK is the best sounding but needs USB to i2s which adds more headache with out a proper PSU and is expensive.

ESS is a slightly bright, but when my daughter (12 years old) listened to it she complained that it was too harsh for her ears, I assume her ears are more sensitive.

I am building a network media player you can catch my blog here.

Warm regards
RaviKiran

Yes you will get good details on RaviKiran's blog.

Allo Boss 1.2 doing great job for me even with regular SMPS power supply without any capacitance multiplayer.
I am sure it will sound better with better power supply.

I have used Audioquest Dragonfly v 1.2 with Volumio on the Pi. The output was to a Rotel Amp and Wharfedale speakers. Easy to operate on wifi and the SQ was excellent.

I have used Audioquest Dragonfly v 1.2 with Volumio on the Pi. The output was to a Rotel Amp and Wharfedale speakers. Easy to operate on wifi and the SQ was excellent.

How did you use it, plugging in the Dragonfly into the USB or some other way? Could you post a pic?

MaSh

Yes just plugged the dragon fly in one of the USB ports of the Pi. It recognized the Dragonfly instantly.

Ravi, when will you be ready to offer one ?

Thanks for sharing, very interesting and well worked out build.

Still working out the partners who will offer the Hardware , will keep you posted. Learnt that Retail Cost (MRP) should be at least 200% - 300% of the parts cost considering Warranty & Support, Dealer , Distributor margins ,Taxes etc for it to be anywhere near profitable and sustainable. This does not include apportioning the development cost.

Yes just plugged the dragon fly in one of the USB ports of the Pi. It recognized the Dragonfly instantly.
I am also getting inclined to buy Dragon fly red version, and attach to pi3b usb port to keep things simple.

do you think if external dac is used instead of dragon fly, it would be better?

I am also getting inclined to buy Dragon fly red version, and attach to pi3b usb port to keep things simple.

do you think if external dac is used instead of dragon fly, it would be better?
The dragonfly was well reviewed hence went with it. If you prefer more connections try the schiit modi.

The dragonfly was well reviewed hence went with it. If you prefer more connections try the schiit modi.

I want to simplify my setup with less cables and less electronics. Sound quality should not get compromised. It is ok if different types of connections toslink / coax are not available. So in terms of sound quality what is your experience of dragon fly?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back