Rebirth of a Cartridge

viren bakhshi

Just received a new cartridge, reborn from an old Supex MC cartridge.

It is really a brand new cartridge, using only the armature of the original Supex. Incorporates all the design ideas, and technique, of a master craftsman, right here in the environs of Delhi. A craftsman by the name of Tariq Shafeeque - http://ebi-audio.com/

Details such as the fine high purity copper winding; low number of turns, giving a low output; micro-ridge stylus on a boron cantilever, with high compliance; all anchored onto a titanium top plate with threaded mounting holes. This version is naked, and not for the uninitiated. A fully enclosed version is available.

The performance of the new cartridge far surpasses that of the original. The sound is clear, dynamic, and bold - that of a live band. Detail retrieval is excellent. And, so is the tonality. The cartridge tracks beautifully. Being a new cartridge, you will have to adjust the loading for good balance in your system.

Still early hours on the use of the cartridge. It certainly is showing its promise. The performance void between vinyl replay and digital replay just got wider!

The before and after:
supex cartridge _2.jpgmc cartridge _2.jpg

Viren

Hi,

I too have had my Fidelity Research FR1Mk3 cartridge rebuilt by Tariq.
He did a fantastic job.

It is a complete rebuild since the wire internally had broken. New boron cantilever and micro ridge stylus. The cartridge sounds better than before.

I have been getting my cartridges rebuilt/ tipped by Soundsmiths. Tariq's work is better and far less expensive.

I will be sending my Ortofons to him for rebuilding soon.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

I too have had my Fidelity Research FR1Mk3 cartridge rebuilt by Tariq.
He did a fantastic job.

It is a complete rebuild since the wire internally had broken. New boron cantilever and micro ridge stylus. The cartridge sounds better than before.

I have been getting my cartridges rebuilt/ tipped by Soundsmiths. Tariq's work is better and far less expensive.

I will be sending my Ortofons to him for rebuilding soon.

Regards
Rajiv
Hi,
when a cartridge is rebuilt like that how do you determine the proper tracking force to be used with the re tipped cartridge. For a new cartridge the manufacturer gives us but in this case how it can be accurately determined when there is meaningful difference in weight between the old cartridge and new re tipped cartridge ? When you got your cartridge re tipped from Soundsmith did they provide you the new range of tracking force to be used ?
Thanks.

Hi,
when a cartridge is rebuilt like that how do you determine the proper tracking force to be used with the re tipped cartridge. For a new cartridge the manufacturer gives us but in this case how it can be accurately determined when there is meaningful difference in weight between the old cartridge and new re tipped cartridge ? When you got your cartridge re tipped from Soundsmith did they provide you the new range of tracking force to be used ?
Thanks.
Hi,

Soundsmiths provides all the new data for the rebuilt cartridge.
Hi,
Thanks.
Hi

Soundsmiths provides tracking and other details for the rebuilt cartridge. The difference in weight if it is a rebuild with modifications to the body etc . will affect the tonearm balance. The tonearm should be re balanced with the modified cartridge and then the tracking weight should be set.

Tariq will also provide all the details.

Regards
Rajiv

Regards
Rajiv

Attachments

• 20210403_101219.jpg
    20210403_101219.jpg
    960.9 KB · Views: 66
I have known Tariq for more than three years now. Over these years, I have got three cartridges rebuilt/remodeled by him. Two Denon DL 103 and one Denon DL 305. One DL 103 now has a wood body and a boron cantilever and micro ridge stylus, the other 103 is now a mono cartridge and has a nude design. The DL 305 is also a nude body design with a sapphire cantiliever. I have also got three tonearms rewired by him. Micro Seiki MA 202L, Ortofon AS212 and Supex 8140. He is a great craftsman.

Great to hear this and thanks all for sharing . I have a DL103 which needs some work as well ..let me contact him

sorry for raising an off-discussion point

Has anyone got experience with their Custom Turn-tables? They look great

Yeah, he has rebuilt my SPU and out in a new sapphire cantilever on my SUPEX. he is really good.

Tariq rebuilt my Audio Technica OC/ML2 MC cartridge with new coils, boron cantilever and nude diamond micro-ridge tip. He also did my wooden bodied Denon DL103. Both of them sound better than the original. This is an amazing service available for analog fans at a decent price and quick turnaround. I got my cartridges done in less than a week.

Highly recommended.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back