Receiver as Pre Amp

bfstrysik

Hello

New to this forum and relatively new to stereo separates. I have a CR 1020 receiver that is rated at approx 70 watts /channel at 8 ohms. I am only interested in nice 2 channel stereo audio and recently purchased some vintage Polk speakers that need more power than my good old Yamaha can provide. I aquired a very nice used Adcom 555 amp that will provide the power I need for the speakers. At this time I do not have a pre amp and want to use the Yamaha receiver as my pre amp with the Adcom amp. Looking at the Yamaha manual it states that the pre out on the back can be used to hook up another amp to it. There is also a main in next to the pre out that has a main in coupler on/off switch. My first impression from reading everything is that all I have to do is plug the amp into the Yamaha at the pre out and the signal will be diverted to the external amp, regardless if the main in coupler switch is on or off. Any input? Don't want to do this wrong and ruin equipment. Thanks

When you are using the cr1020 as an integrated amp the coupler has to be in the ON position. IF the cr1020 is to be used as a Pre amp or power amp if should be in the OFF position. Since you want to use it as a Pre set the coupler to the OFF position and connect your power amp to the preout of the cr1020.

Coupler does the same job as 'jumpers' .

When you disconnect it, the power amp section inside the receiver will not get any signal, enabling you to use an external power amp.

$(KGrHqV,!ncFHLfqWdJQBR23e90PLQ~~60_35.JPG

Coupler does the same job as 'jumpers' .

When you disconnect it, the power amp section inside the receiver will not get any signal, enabling you to use an external power amp.

$(KGrHqV,!ncFHLfqWdJQBR23e90PLQ~~60_35.JPG
When you are using the cr1020 as an integrated amp the coupler has to be in the ON position. IF the cr1020 is to be used as a Pre amp or power amp if should be in the OFF position. Since you want to use it as a Pre set the coupler to the OFF position and connect your power amp to the preout of the cr1020.
Hello everyone.
Can anyone tell me if the power indicators on the Yamaha cr-1020 work in SP out mode when using this amplifier as a preamplifier?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back