Receiver for Klipsch Reference Series Speakers

tellanand

I intend to buy Klipsch Reference Series speakers in Chennai. The model numbers are RF-52 (x2 Towers) + RC-62 (Center) + RS-42 (x2 Surround) + RW-10D (Sub). My room size is 15 x 11.

The Onkyo dealer in Chennai also sells Klipsch speakers and is pushing the Onkyo SR606 with it. The dealer is quoting Rs.150,000 for the speaker set (and says can offer 8% discount; ie works out to Rs.138,000). However, I also like the Yamaha RX-V663 and want to know if 663 will match with these speakers.

[1] Are other speaker brands (Yamaha etc) equivalent to the Klipsch reference series (interms of price and performance) that I should consider before making a BUY decision?

[2] I've read good and bad things about both Yamaha and Onkyo receivers. In particular, can you comment on Onkyo SR606 and Yamaha RX-V663 wrt their performance and support in India?

best regards
- Anand

Hi Anand,
The yamaha Rx-v663 is a very good receiver but if you pair it with a Klipsch, the sound may be very bright and top heavy which may lead to ear fatigue in the long run.And the same goes for Onkyo too.
But the Klipsch's match well with NAD ,Marantz ,Harman Kardon,Denon etc...
You can also checkout speakers from Wharfedale , Polk Audio, Monitor Audio,Mission,Jamo in the price range you specified.All the above speakers , including the klipsch have different signature sound quality.Audition and pick the one which suits you the most.:licklips:
Cheers
Samuel

(1) Anand, at the outset, you must listen to both the Yamaha and the Onkyo and decide in favour of the one your ears like. Amongst a lot members, the Yamaha 663 is very popular and the Yamaha 863 is an award winner. One of the biggest issues with Onkyo is it's multichannel audio pass through. Since it does not process audio when you use HDMI as a pass through, you have to connect an HDMI cable for video and a digital/optical cable for audio. But all this is irrelevant as compared to what your ears like.

Both Onkyo and Yamaha should service and support their products well when the products are purchased in India.

(2) The Klipsch Reference series seems an overkill to me considering your room size. In addition, the RF-52 has only 5.5 inch woofers, and would not sound exciting when it comes to low sounds. Though the sub will compensate, having towers in the front that has such small woofers do not make sense to me. Woofers should be 8 inch, or at the minimum 6.5 inches. Using floor standing speakers with good specifications, you may not even need a sub. But more important, they will sound very nice for music in two channel. There are both floor standers and bookshelves available that have a wider frequency range and larger woofers to deliver low frequency sounds well. For the price, brands such as AE, Wharfedale, Canton, Mission, MS, etc will deliver very good sound.

(3) For the Klipsch series the you have mentioned, the suitable amps will be Onkyo 606 and the Yamaha 863. The 663 may be underpowered.

Cheers

Klipsch Ref Series do pair well with all the models noted here...Yamaha 663, 863 or the Onkyo 606 series. I suggest you audition them as they have a distinct sound signature due to their design. Its not for everyone. Integrated or separate pair well with them than AVRs from a sound perspective, i.e., they will sound phenomenol with dedicated amplification.

Go for the Klipsch RF-62 or RF-82 for the Front speakers if you can. Moreover Klisch has got some very powerful subs of there own which you can consider later.

Other speakers you can check out are

models from
PSB Image or Alpha

B&W M1 (satellite speakers with PV1 Subwoofer)

B&W 685 package

Monitor Audio

Tannoy

Mirage

I intend to buy Klipsch Reference Series speakers in Chennai. The model numbers are RF-52 (x2 Towers) + RC-62 (Center) + RS-42 (x2 Surround) + RW-10D (Sub). My room size is 15 x 11.

The Onkyo dealer in Chennai also sells Klipsch speakers and is pushing the Onkyo SR606 with it. The dealer is quoting Rs.150,000 for the speaker set (and says can offer 8% discount; ie works out to Rs.138,000). However, I also like the Yamaha RX-V663 and want to know if 663 will match with these speakers.

[1] Are other speaker brands (Yamaha etc) equivalent to the Klipsch reference series (interms of price and performance) that I should consider before making a BUY decision?

[2] I've read good and bad things about both Yamaha and Onkyo receivers. In particular, can you comment on Onkyo SR606 and Yamaha RX-V663 wrt their performance and support in India?

best regards
- Anand

In a few words:
1. Go for RF62
2. Ditch the surrounds by Klipsch as they are overpriced. You may go for Mordaunt short 903i for half the price
3. Go for 863 instead of 663. I understand that Klipsch are highly sensitive speakers and might not require too much power. But, you will notice that these speakers will perform better with 863. I have taken a demo of Rf-62 with a Marantz stereo amp. Although, I think these speakers are better suited for movies but 2 channel was not bad either.

Sumit

best regards
- Anand

Hi Anand,

How are you my fellow Klipschean :D .. well just wanted to know if you can find out the price for an RC-62 7 RC 62 II from your dealer who gave you this offer.. it would be really helpful for me. please PM me If you can

best regards
- Anand

I had a klipsch (RF3) onkyo setup for HT many years back. I found Onkyo to work very well with it..i still have that old onkyo. the Yamaha (in those days)was bright with the Klipsch.

The Marantz HT receiver sounded far better but could nt go for that for some reason i dont remember !

I found Onkyo to work very well with it..i still have that old onkyo. the Yamaha (in those days)was bright with the Klipsch.

I agree Arj but I ve found that the Aventage series receivers are more mellow when compared to the others like Rx-v etc...I have personally experienced this ...:)

the advantage of Klipsch is its fantastic sensitivity..you can even rum them with SET amps for an HT :) but warmer the better..they can screech with then wrong amp

15 x 11 room ........ towers out of the question ...:indifferent14:
Look at bookshelves only ....... better still, satellites!

best regards
- Anand
Can you please share the dealer name and number. I am planning to get rf 62 rc 52 and sub 310 woth denon x4000 bit I am unable to get a good price in bangalore. Iam now trying mumbai as well. Thanks. Vinit Relan 9535000223

Can you please share the dealer name and number. I am planning to get rf 62 rc 52 and sub 310 woth denon x4000 bit I am unable to get a good price in bangalore. Iam now trying mumbai as well. Thanks. Vinit Relan 9535000223

best regards
- Anand
Hi Anand,

I plan to buy below setup but I am unable to get anyone in bangalore. Can you share the chennai guy number. I am also trying mumbai route
Two*RF-62 II Floorstanding Speakers

*One RC-62 II Center Channel Speaker

*Two RS-52 II Surround Speakers

*One SW-310 Subwoofer
Denon x4000

Hi Anand,

I plan to buy below setup but I am unable to get anyone in bangalore. Can you share the chennai guy number. I am also trying mumbai route
Two*RF-62 II Floorstanding Speakers

*One RC-62 II Center Channel Speaker

*Two RS-52 II Surround Speakers

*One SW-310 Subwoofer
Denon x4000

I can share a contact in Mumbai

Try this contact. WareHouse Direct, Bhandup, Mumbai.
He Quoted 74K for RF 62 Mark II and here is his number. Seal Pack with 2 Years warranty.

24-Kembros Estate, Near AnandRaj Estate, Behind Asian Paints, Sonapur, Bhandup {West}, Mumbai-400078.
Phone: 9833447275 / 9833605957 / 022- 25664748
EMail: [email protected]

Regards,
Karthik.

please dont go for towers
get same series bs
also 52..even 42.. for centre is cool for your room..62 not needed
use the money to get an expensive sub.

also you can save some money..get cheaper surronds like from sonodyne

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back