Receiving a mild shock in AVR

Love4sound

Dear Fm’s

Lately I noticed if I touch the top of my avr exactly at the vents with mild pressure I get an electric shock. What can be the reason? I have connected my avr to a vertex stabilizer.

Dear Fm’s

Lately I noticed if I touch the top of my avr exactly at the vents with mild pressure I get an electric shock. What can be the reason? I have connected my avr to a vertex stabilizer.
Hi Navin

I too used to get it from connected HDMI cable to 4500. I still get it from my amp if I touch the amp body or controls bare foot. I don't know the reason though. It's not all the time. I don't notice after installing the dedicated line. Will check agian

Hi Navin

I too used to get it from connected HDMI cable to 4500. I still get it from my amp if I touch the amp body or controls bare foot. I don't know the reason though. It's not all the time. I don't notice after installing the dedicated line. Will check agian
Hey Vivek

Thanks for confirming.Do let me know if installing a dedicated line helped.

I am sure a dedicated line will have zero impact on it

But it happens much more during monsoons when humidity is very high

Maybe it's something to do with ground leak , but I can be absolutely wrong

I am sure a dedicated line will have zero impact on it

But it happens much more during monsoons when humidity is very high

Maybe it's something to do with ground leak , but I can be absolutely wrong
Ok. Past two days had heavy thunderstorms and the flats lift also seemed to have taken a hit cause of the lightning. Need to get the lines checked then.

Last edited:
I used to get this problem too, but after installing a dedicated line, in a new room, it has seemed to go away.
The current used to flow through the body of avr, stab, and even the subwoofer and i could notice it with the help of a tester.

Now i dont get it, in any equipment.

I have a wire going from a screw behind the avr to a ground point on the outlet. This takes care of the leakage current on the AVR.
The same i did instead of screw i have used the FM antenna wire connected to ground point on the outlet. Also, as i mentioned please check the voltage between Neutral and Earth it should not be more than 1 or 2 volts, please buy a good multi meter to check... if you are not comfortable to use multi-meter, buy the below device.

Are you using any extension boxes ? I had the same issue and the culprit was the extension box.
I have connected the avr directly to the vertex.
I have a wire going from a screw behind the avr to a ground point on the outlet. This takes care of the leakage current on the AVR.
sure will try this method
The same i did instead of screw i have used the FM antenna wire connected to ground point on the outlet. Also, as i mentioned please check the voltage between Neutral and Earth it should not be more than 1 or 2 volts, please buy a good multi meter to check... if you are not comfortable to use multi-meter, buy the below device.

I have requested the electrician to visit tomorrow. Will try to check the voltage between neutral and earth as suggested

I have been observing the same from my Onkyo TX AV receiver for quite a while over the past year. I think its an earthing issue as the plug for the power supply is a 2-pin plug only.

However, I don't observes this with my Yamaha AS300 Amplifier at all which also has a 2-pin power plug

Are you using any extension boxes ? I had the same issue and the culprit was the extension box.
Even though I connected the avr directly to the vertex I do have a belkin extension box connected to the vertex and in that I have connected the subwoofer and nvidia shield. Can this cause a loop as well and affect the avr? Also noticed sometime in the vertex I get static current

Check removing all Hdmi cables and rca cables if not done yet.
Sometimes the earth leakage will return from your source also.
Connect only the AVR and speaker cables and try.

Happens to my Marantz 6013 as well. It's connected to a vertex servo which is on a dedicated line.

Weirdly enough, its happening since past 2 weeks.

Even though I connected the avr directly to the vertex I do have a belkin extension box connected to the vertex and in that I have connected the subwoofer and nvidia shield. Can this cause a loop as well and affect the avr? Also noticed sometime in the vertex I get static current

Quite possible.. Disconnect it and check.

In my case, the AVR shuts down itself to protection mode and did not respond for a while. I could feel a mild shock when I touched it. Further investigation with the tester revealed the complete AVR and sub woofer metal knobs all passing electric current.

I removed the extension box from the stabilizer and things were back to normal.

Check removing all Hdmi cables and rca cables if not done yet.
Sometimes the earth leakage will return from your source also.
Connect only the AVR and speaker cables and try.
So I tried removing all the Hdmi cables and connected the avr directly. No static current so next I connected the avr directly to the vertex with no Hdmi cables and no static current. So next I connected the Hdmi cables and no static current. I tried for 5 minutes touching the avr in all possible ways and no static current. But this is kind of an intermittent issue. Some times i get the static current most time I don’t.
Happens to my Marantz 6013 as well. It's connected to a vertex servo which is on a dedicated line.

Weirdly enough, its happening since past 2 weeks.
Is it intermittent or every time you touch there is a static current?
Quite possible.. Disconnect it and check.

In my case, the AVR shuts down itself to protection mode and did not respond for a while. I could feel a mild shock when I touched it. Further investigation with the tester revealed the complete AVR and sub woofer metal knobs all passing electric current.

I removed the extension box from the stabilizer and things were back to normal.
Now I am not getting any static current. As I have mentioned in the above comment sometimes I get most times I don’t

Is it intermittent or every time you touch there is a static current?

It's actually intermittent. It doesn't happen all the time, but seems random.

One thing I did last week was keep it connected via HDMI to my PC, it hasn't happened since then. Maybe grounding it to my PC case which is metal worked.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back