Recommanded setting for YHT-196 if Bookshelf BA A26 hooked.

Haribabu

Hi Friends,

I have recently bought BA A26 speakers for my existing YHT-196 AVR. I'm little bit confused what is best settings for this setup for below items.

1. Crossover freq.
2. Speaker size - small/large.
3. my existing active sub woofer is not responding properly.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks
Hari:)

Hi Friends,

I have recently bought BA A26 speakers for my existing YHT-196 AVR. I'm little bit confused what is best settings for this setup for below items.

1. Crossover freq.
2. Speaker size - small/large.
3. my existing active sub woofer is not responding properly.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks
Hari:)

Please share your speaker settings, crossover of your AVR..

Below setting gives better result.

Front speaker (A26) - Large.
Crossover Freq - 40hz.

Hardly active sub woofer punch be noticed. it's because my bookshelf speakers is 8 ohms and AVR is 6 Ohms.

Crossover Freq - 40hz.

Hardly active sub woofer punch be noticed. it's because my bookshelf speakers is 8 ohms and AVR is 6 Ohms.
As Audio HDR said, change the speaker setting to small and raise the crossover to 80 or 100 hz..

Hope you have done auto calibration..

Thanks, will try these setting..
These speakers are rated at 51hz - 25k hz, so you can experiment, setting them at 60hz and 40hz, with them set small along with a sub. If no sub then they will be set large by default.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

These speakers are rated at 51hz - 25k hz, so you can experiment, setting them at 60hz and 40hz, with them set small along with a sub. If no sub then they will be set large by default.

Setting a speaker below its rated frequency (40 hz in this case) can potentially damage it. The mid range driver of the speaker will try to produce low frequencies below the rated value and it might blow. Its better to let the sub take care of these. 60 Hz might work, but will recommend this only in a stereo set up.
You are right, if the AVR doesnt detect a sub (or you chose to switch it off from the AVR), it sets the speakers automatically to large.

Setting a speaker below its rated frequency (40 hz in this case) can potentially damage it. The mid range driver of the speaker will try to produce low frequencies below the rated value and it might blow. Its better to let the sub take care of these. 60 Hz might work, but will recommend this only in a stereo set up.
You are right, if the AVR doesnt detect a sub (or you chose to switch it off from the AVR), it sets the speakers automatically to large.
Ha ha far chance it will blow. It will just not produce it, while getting 100% utilized to its capabilities.

If blowing up was the case, then every speaker set to large would blow up which does not happen.

MaSh

Crossover Freq - 40hz.

There is no auto-calibration in YHT-196, A26 is rated between 50Hz - 25Hz, 60Hz seems to be a good option without chances of damaging the speakers. Yamaha recommends setting speakers to large if their woofer sizes is more than 16cms (6 inches and above). Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv

Ha ha far chance it will blow. It will just not produce it, while getting 100% utilized to its capabilities.

If blowing up was the case, then every speaker set to large would blow up which does not happen.

MaSh

Setting a speaker to large doesn't blow it, but running it below its rated frequency might. There must be a reason for publishing the ratings in first place...:D
Just try playing a speaker rated at 51Hz at 40 Hz crossover at relatively loud volume for a couple of hours...you will be in for a nasty surprise.

I had YHT196 for brief period. I had to adjust manually equalizer for each channel to get reasonable quality.

Setting a speaker to large doesn't blow it, but running it below its rated frequency might. There must be a reason for publishing the ratings in first place...:D
Just try playing a speaker rated at 51Hz at 40 Hz crossover at relatively loud volume for a couple of hours...you will be in for a nasty surprise.
When you set a speaker to large, ALL the frequencies are sent to it, including those below its frequency range. So it won't matter if you set crossover to 40. It will just not reproduce those frequencies. Ratings only denote what the speakers can reproduce so that the buyer knows what to expect

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

dr_rocket has answered perfectly. The ratings mentioned are for reference only and not obeyed blindly. And no there will be no nasty surprise, neither at the amp end nor the speaker, as long as you dont abuse your gear playing at amp clipping volumes mindlessly.

MaSh

Thank you all for valuable suggestions.
I have made below changes.
1. Set speaker as large (as per manual hence it's size is more than 6.5").
2. Put them in surrounding (rear).
3. CF has put as it's 60hz.
4. I'm using same Yamaha (ns-p20) speakers for Front left right.
5. SW is Yamaha NS-50, 100 w.

Now my HT sounds awesome.

Did you try switching them to small? 60hz is cross over for all speakers or rear?

MaSh

Switch the Boston to fronts and NS-P20 to rear and check for the difference.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv

Back