Recommend best settings for Denon 1611 AVR with Polk RM6750 Speakers

vprasad84

Hello All,

Last week i got my new HTS Denon1611+Polk6750 as i liked it very much during the demo because of its pretty crisp & clear sound with subwoofer giving very nice punchs. It was the best for music. I got it installed but the person who came for the installation was good on doing physical connections & mounting the speakers/avr but he is not much aware of the settings in the AVR as well as he also didnt know about the Audessey auto setup. So its just like starting the things with factory default settings. I could have called another person who might be expert on this & setup the things in a best way but i want to setup it on my own with the help of all the mates here. Appreciate the feedback from all the people who owns this set or help to setup the best of it. Giving the details as below

Front Left/Right Speakers: Installed on a height of 8 Feets.
Center Speaker: 4 Feets.
Surround Speakers: 8 Feets

I know that the recommended height for all the speakers is to be at 4-6 feets as with the listening direction but the architecture of my home doesnot allows except for the center speaker.

Subwoofer is placed on the ground & is between the Front Left & the Center speaker.

I tried running the audessey setup but it gave an error of some Front RL Phase & i just skipped it. it was too hot (as had to shut the fans, ac, lights & windows as well as to ask other people to shutup untill it completes) & since i was already tired thought of doing it on next week.

Music: I played music from the bluray player (setup audio output to primary pass through) but it doesnt sounds good (played in Pro II, DTS Neo & Stereo as well as Direct but not impressive, source was 320 Kbps MP3's). Not even as 10% than what i heard during the demo. It sounds like playing music from the LCD TV speakers itself.

Movies: Movies experience is very good. I played bluray ripped mkv files & it was good.

DTH: I have Airtel HD. Hearing NGC HD & Movies now HD on Dolby Digital was very good. (Got only after connecting the digital coaxial cable). Star movies, HBO & other hollywood movies channels sounds good too.Listening to Programs from Star Plus, Sony, etc was ok in MCH Stereo only but not impressive though vocals are clear. No quality in background music. No bass. Music channels does not sounds good in Pro II, Stereo, DTS Neo but ok in MCH Stereo but not upto the mark. No bass.

Could you please share all the details such as bass settings, speaker frequencies, Speaker Volume (as of now set all to 0 db), subwoofer frequency, etc etc. Please share the parameters of the config which were set by the audessey setup at your place.

People reading this thread for influencing any of the buying decisions do not down this product as it is quite good & crisp clear but it is just matter of calibrating it properly.

Hi Prasad,
Congrats on your purchase buddy,
btw what offers you got for Denon?

It is quite natural that music is not impressive at the factory setting on the AVR, but first run audyssey setup. The 'out of phase' error is quite common while using satellite speakers. Ignore this error & proceed. Do not worry, take some time & run the audyssey setup. Keep those settings as base point & copy the audyssey settings to manual eq using 'bass curve copy' & then configure manual eq settings as per your taste.

I know it takes lot of patience & time in doing this, but it always gives you fruitful results.

You please visit BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY for Denon user guide in plain & simple english, which is of great use in setting up of your system.
I was also in the same feeling after I bought the system, once I had all the settings in place I started enjoying it to the fullest.
Feel free to ask for any kind of help.
Enjoy!!!!!

Last edited:
hi zeeya,

thank you very much. I shall run the audessey setup by this weekend & will also consider the points you mentioned. I got the set for 46k. Got the speakers cable (1.5mm), woofer rca cable & another HDMI cable for 1400 rs in total from other dealer as the hts dealers was asking for 5k for the cables. No free stuff but installation & delivery only.

Hi Zeeya,

1 question. Denon 1611 supports 8Ohms with 75W & 6 Ohms with 110W

The nominal impedence of Polk 6750 speakers is 8 Ohms. Now how would i come to know whether the avr is outputting 75W or 110W to the speakers or how to configure the avr to do so

I solved the bass problem which was due to the fault subwoofer cable which was having a break. I replaced it & now the woofer is giving very good punchs. Yet to run audessey but still not liking music though movies experience is good.

Hi Zeeya,

1 question. Denon 1611 supports 8Ohms with 75W & 6 Ohms with 110W

The nominal impedence of Polk 6750 speakers is 8 Ohms. Now how would i come to know whether the avr is outputting 75W or 110W to the speakers or how to configure the avr to do so

I solved the bass problem which was due to the fault subwoofer cable which was having a break. I replaced it & now the woofer is giving very good punchs. Yet to run audessey but still not liking music though movies experience is good.

Prasad don't worry about measuring power output. Your speaker impedance is within the range that the Denon supports. In any case, the 75W or 110W you are mentioning is max RMS power output at constant 1 Khz frequency which is not the scenario when you are listening to music.
Simple tips for manual tuning:
  1. Level all channel outputs to 0 dB including the sub.
  2. Measure speaker distances from a listening point and feed them under the delay section of the setup. Sound from different speakers arrive at your listening point in relation to their distances. Setting the delay for each channel ensures sound reaches your listening position all at the same time.
  3. Set the cross over frequency to 200 Hz since you have satellites
  4. Set all speakers to small
At this time you should be able to get default sound from your setup.
Now, run a test tone on all the speakers and change the channel outputs so that all the speakers sound the same volume. Best done with a sound meter but for now just listen and manually tune. Your ears can detect a +/- 2 dB change in volume.

Auto setup using Audssey:
  1. Plug in the mic and place the mic at the listening position
  2. Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the setup
  3. Tweak some of the settings like crossover to get the most natural sound
Lastly, few more tips to get the best sound
  1. Invest in good speaker cables. The stock ones are probably 16 gauge and cheap. Go for 12 guage from a reputed dealer
  2. Invest in good interconnects. I have seen sound quality improve with good cables even on budget systems like Polk+Denon
  3. Ensure proper polarity of the speaker cables
  4. Invest in room acoustics by thinking of speaker placements, room dimensions and the soft and hard furnishings in the room. Subtle changes will improve your sound at no extra cost.

In the end, if you are like most of us, getting the best out of your system is a journey and not a destination!
Happy turning and listening!

Hello Prasad / Navin / Zeeya,

Thanks a lot for inputs you guys have been putting in here .

I was also looking in for DENON 1611 but with JAMO S426 and SUB A210 ( Not happy with it but budget conscious), any idea how this combination gonna go ?

I am newbie here so apologies if I am not following through the rite process.

Secondly Prasad if you can help me with where you got the AV in mumbai from and for how much then it will be great :)

Thanks & Regards....

hi guys,

i am quite happy to post here that my problem is solved. I set the crossover frequencies of all channels to 120Hz after reading the polk speakers manual. Also i turned the low pass knob on back of subwoofer to the full but in the avr set the bass settings as LPE with 120 Hz. Have set the sub volume knob to 100degree.

Now i have rich deep & powerful bass. Enough to shake everythings & yes powerfull surround sound. Music has turned quite well...:yahoo:

I tried running the audessey setup but it gave an error of some Front RL Phase & i just skipped it. it was too hot (as had to shut the fans, ac, lights & windows as well as to ask other people to shutup untill it completes) & since i was already tired thought of doing it on next week.

Could you please share all the details such as bass settings, speaker frequencies, Speaker Volume (as of now set all to 0 db), subwoofer frequency, etc etc. Please share the parameters of the config which were set by the audessey setup at your place.

People reading this thread for influencing any of the buying decisions do not down this product as it is quite good & crisp clear but it is just matter of calibrating it properly.

Here is a shortcut way to get your system's bass management and other speaker related settings done in a hurry. Run Audyssey auto setup with your fans, etc. Just measure the primary listening position and then let audyssey do the EQ calculations for the primary listening position only. Now after Audyssey has done its job, just set the EQ to manual and use your system.

This way the Audyssey setup will set up the speaker distances, crossover frequencies and the subwoofer distance. These settings are not affected a whole lot by external noise. The EQ will be affected by external noise sources, so disable Audyssey EQ and use manual EQ till the time you can do a full Audyssey setup. Copy the EQ from Audyssey EQ before doing the manual EQ, as this will give you a decent enough EQ curve to start with. The non EQ parameters are only taken from the first Audyssey reading, so you need not do more than one reading using Audyssey to setup these parameters.

If you are getting speaker phase errors with Audyssey, then firstly check and ensure that your speakers are properly wired. Then try to reverse the connection of the speaker giving phase error and see if the phase error goes away. If the speaker still gives phase errors, then you should consider getting it checked by the dealer. You can still skip the phase error and continue with the Audyssey setup.

-- no1lives4ever

hi guys,

i am quite happy to post here that my problem is solved. I set the crossover frequencies of all channels to 120Hz after reading the polk speakers manual. Also i turned the low pass knob on back of subwoofer to the full but in the avr set the bass settings as LPE with 120 Hz. Have set the sub volume knob to 100degree.

Now i have rich deep & powerful bass. Enough to shake everythings & yes powerfull surround sound. Music has turned quite well...:yahoo:

glad to know you are liking it now.. enjoy your new set up :)

Edit: tell me one thing, are you mounting the speakers on wall or placing them on some surface? from your post it seems to me that you could not align the speakers towards the listening position.. is that correct?

nail hammered on wall & mounting the speaker on the nail. most commom option. Not angled the speakers to any direction, just straight. Since the provision was already there as my old speakers were running on it, i just replaced. But its on height of 8 feets.

I have the same mounting for the rear speakers. I have aligned them by keeping the nail slightly long which gives a slight downward inclination to the speakers.. the nail length can be adjusted on how much you want to incline. for inclination about the vertical I have placed a rubber grommet on one side of the speakers at the bottom. The setup is pretty stable.You can follow this if you would like to incline the satellites.

whats your distance from the fronts and the rears?

Attachments

• horizontal angle.JPG
    horizontal angle.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 104
  • verticalal angle.JPG
    verticalal angle.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 101
hi,

fronts might be 11-12 feets.

& surrounds at 8-9 feets.

The dealer firmly said that the speakers must be on 4 feets height only to enjoy at the fullest.

Hi,

i ran audessey setup yesterday. It again gave the error of Front RL Phase but i just skipped it & proceesed untill it finished. Now the output is more good. Love the sound & the bass. movies experience is too good. Now the audessey have setup the speaker crossover frequencies to 80Hz but bass setting to 120hz. Have done only 1 manual setting over the audessey config is the speaker volume. Set it all to 0db & now its a gr8 system.

Hi,

i ran audessey setup yesterday. It again gave the error of Front RL Phase but i just skipped it & proceesed untill it finished. Now the output is more good. Love the sound & the bass. movies experience is too good. Now the audessey have setup the speaker crossover frequencies to 80Hz but bass setting to 120hz. Have done only 1 manual setting over the audessey config is the speaker volume. Set it all to 0db & now its a gr8 system.

Hello
I want to ask you about the subwoofer with the built in amplifier you can adjust the frequence from the built in amplifier ? I have the AVR1611 but I have problem whith the sound of music but I have lax U04 speaker and U10B subwoofer but it's not active

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back