Recommendation for 32" LCD TV to use as Computer Monitor

Lord Nemesis

Guy's, I am looking to purchase a 32" LCD to be used as Computer Monitor as well as Console gaming. The Monitor should be usable at close range just like a Monitor and there should be no issues with text rendering (like Blurriness). I would also be using this display for PC and Console gaming, so there should be no lag or related artifacts like screen tearing etc.

My budget is 50k and If possible, I would prefer not to go over it. I was suggested a few models.

Samsung UA32D6000
Samsung UA32D5000
Sony 32EX720
Sony 32EX520

If any one has used any of these Displays as a Monitor, I would like your impressions on the same.

I went to my local chroma store to check out the models and found none of them in stock. They however had the Sony 32EX710 and Samsung LA32D550. From the display quality of the Airtel HD picture, the Samsung one looked better despite the massive difference in cost. Unfortunately, I don't have a laptop to test PC output, that's why I am looking for feedback from people who used these displays as Monitors.

I wouldn't recommend a 32" TV for close range viewing as the brightness is way too much.

I used a 26" TV for sometime and the 500 lumen display made reading text on a white background a bit of a pain...

Now i'm using a 19" TFT for everyday use & the TV for movies.

As said in the other forum,the samsung supports more resolution.

The 32" EX710 that you saw was a last year model (32",46"EX710 has a 2010 AMVA panel).
The 2010 model when connected to a PC using HDMI it doesn't show text has sharp has its supposed to show,reason being the Sony applies video timings to the signal.But is fine with a VGA connection.

The 2011 models such has the EX720 on the other hand need to be in game mode in order for the text to be sharp.They also have a lag of 21ms has per reputed website on par with plasmas.So should be fine for gaming

The 32"D550 is a 2011 model it could have had either a 2011 AMVA,SPVA,SMVA and so on.
So the performance varies with different panel.

@S anuj
You can always lower the backlight setting.For eg in the Sony lcd switching on the Eco mode reduces the backlight to even less then 0 setting of backlight.

@S_anuj: I can always reduce the brightness.

@adder: Thanks for the suggestions. I will stick with the 2011 models for Sony.

Also, chroma doesn't have stocks of any of the Samsung 6 series (at least in 32"). I have to visit other shops. Yeah, how do the 2010's Samsung 6 series models like 32C630 fare. Considering most of the 2010 models are being sold of at bargain prices, would it make sense or should I stick to the 2011 models.

In any case, this is going to be an experiment since a lot of people had suggested this option after using it themselves. I need a TV anyway because my old CRT TV has broken down. If using it as a monitor does not work out well, I would simply get a Dell U2711 next month. For the time being all I am looking for is an LCD TV that is good with PC output for games and particularly no blurriness in text.

Guy's, I also need recommendations for shops in Hyderabad where I can get Sony/Samsung LCD's at good prices.

Last edited:
If you can get the 2010 C630 for a good price you can go for it.

As said earlier the Sony lcds won't support a wide range of resolution in PC mode ,they only support the following resolution 640*480,800*600,1024*768,1280*1024 & 1280,1360*768,1920*1080.

Best place to buy the Sony are in the grey market the 32EX720 should cost around 45k.
Buying a EX720 in showroom is going to be expensive and IMO a lot for a 32" display.

I agree with "adder". Go for a grey market Sony as their pricing in India is terrible like LG and Samsung's MRP. We can atleast get LG and Samsung in great bargain, however its not so true for Sony..

^^ I am upgrading from a 20" Dell S-IPS Display. Currently not too keen on the 24" Size. Also, I don't want to face the scenario where I pay top buck for a IPS display only to run into an issue and getting a TN Panel as replacement. Dell is known to do such things. If I do get the Monitor from Dell, It would be the U2711 which doesn't have any other alternative model in same size. In any case, I do need the TV, so I will go for it first.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back