Recommended step down transformer

fLUX

Hi,

I was looking to get a step down transformer for an unit arriving from US. If someone could help point me out to a recommended model would be great.

If someone has an used one for sale then open to picking it up too.

Hi,

I was looking to get a step down transformer for an unit arriving from US. If someone could help point me out to a recommended model would be great.

What kind of wattage/power you are looking at? What are you planning to plug in here?

I used the following for a couple of home appliances - do not have this anymore. It works perfectly fine.

No comment on it's audiophiliability :p

Less than 100 watt, its for a dac being imported. Google gave many options hence thought of checking :p

If the unit is designed for 60Hz, you can expect the transformer inside the unit to heat up due to change of frequency even if you step down the voltage. Along with the voltage the frequency plays a critical part in the design of the transformer core that most FMs overlook.

Get the DAC with a dual voltage transformer so that it's core is designed for 50Hz or a unit that is designed for 230V, 50Hz.

I recently explored and bought a step down transformer for a Yamaha AVR bought from Tokyo, Japan.

Brand - Maxine
Bought from - Amazon india
Capacity - If your equipment is rated at 100Watt you should buy a step down transformer of capacity 200 Watt.

I had initially got one from a local vendor in Pune but it did not instill confidence in me. Maxine has been most reliable brand for many FMs here. Few FMs have been running maxine step down transformer for over a decade.

Another recommended brand is Aluten. You can send your requirements to them on Whatsapp on this number 098115 97709.

+1
I am using Maxine step down transformer since 2007 , still its working fine till date.
I think Maxine have stores in bangalore, you may buy directly from them.

Keep in mind, Check the watts requirements apart from voltage then buy the respective model. Watts requirements will be mentioned in your Electronic equipment manual.
I wrongly bought another model initially, my AVR was switching off frequently , then i got the correct model.

If the unit is designed for 60Hz, you can expect the transformer inside the unit to heat up due to change of frequency even if you step down the voltage. Along with the voltage the frequency plays a critical part in the design of the transformer core that most FMs overlook.

Get the DAC with a dual voltage transformer so that it's core is designed for 50Hz or a unit that is designed for 230V, 50Hz.
Thanks Subbu, will keep that in mind. Eventually plan to get it converted to accept 230v directly but will need some time to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Subbu, will keep that in mind. Eventually plan to get it converted to accept 230v directly but will need some time to do that.
I had explained in other threads how frequency affects the core. In simple terms 50Hz core is larger so can work at both frequency. 60Hz trafo is smaller core so gets heated due to higher flux density in it at 50Hz.(V/f ratio).

I had a 120V, 700mA 60Hz Adaptor that came with a Grundig radio from the US. They bundled it with a 230/110V stepdown also. Another Sangean radio came with a 230V, 700mA, 50Hz adaptor The size of Grundig adaptor was nearly half of the Sangean.

Since I have the 230V adaptor with same DC plug that can be used with , I threw out the US adaptor to avoid an explosion if inadvertently plugged into 230V outlet. Else could have shown you the difference.

Hi,

Depending on what item you are getting from USA, it will be best to get just the step-down transformer from USA and then later on, you can have it enclosed in India. If you could mention the item with the model number here, I can do research and let you know what to buy.

Depending on what item you are getting from USA, it will be best to get just the step-down transformer from USA and then later on, you can have it enclosed in India. If you could mention the item with the model number here, I can do research and let you know what to buy.
but the frequency is not in your control. step down transformers do not and cannot change frequency wherever made unless you use frequency conversion using switching devices.

Hi,

The plug / adapter type stepdowns (one from the US and another locally sourced) have not held up.

+1 though on the Maxine stepdown. The one I've been using since about 2005 is still going strong.

but the frequency is not in your control. step down transformers do not and cannot change frequency wherever made unless you use frequency conversion using switching devices.
Hi subbu...
Is there any known solution to this issue of different frequencies. I have in the past used 220 to 110v stepdowns for several decades. Starting with the first gen xbox which was not launched in India, and I brought it from USA.
So if someone can design and build a good quality step down suitable for Hifi use, then it might be in demand.

Hi subbu...
Is there any known solution to this issue of different frequencies. I have in the past used 220 to 110v stepdowns for several decades. Starting with the first gen xbox which was not launched in India, and I brought it from USA.
So if someone can design and build a good quality step down suitable for Hifi use, then it might be in demand.
I think customized UPS or inverter of input 220v, 50 hz to 110v/60Hz output would be possible instead of stepdown transformer. Or
220v, 50Hz to 110v,60Hz converters available https://www.ato.com/3kva-frequency-converter

Hi subbu...
No way to change the frequency unless the whole grid changes :cool: .Majority of the world is in 50Hz club. Some in 100-110V 50Hz and one or two in 230V, 60Hz even :oops:

World_Map_of_Mains_Voltages_and_Frequencies,_Detailed.svg.png

XBox and such have SMPS in the brick that does not mind the frequency.

The way to do in my opinion is to get an converter - inverter setup that outputs 120V, 60Hz. You convert 230V, 50Hz to DC and back to 120V, 60Hz.

Does the motor make a bit of noise for maxine

The cost of this is more than the dac itself :)
That converter is an industrial unit.

Ask the DAC manufacturer if they can recommend a 230V, 50Hz transformer or they themselves can change it.

BTW which DAC is it?

• 2 output socket (accepts grounded U.S. & Ungrounded U.S.) - converts automatically. Just Plug in anywhere in the world
  • It will convert converter frequency along with the voltage for items up to 200W. Making This device perfect for trimmers, shavers & clippers.
  • 4x 5V USB slot - for use with iPhone, iPad, iPod, cellphone chargers & etc.
  • NOTE: This converter is not designed for use with hair dryers, power tools, heaters, and other high power products. If used continuously do not Exceed 200W
  • Travel ready: it includes 3 plugs that's cover most of the world. Type C - Europe & Asia, Type g- UK, UAE, Hong Kong, Type I - Australia & China. It also includes a travel pouch so its ready to go.

• 2 output socket (accepts grounded U.S. & Ungrounded U.S.) - converts automatically. Just Plug in anywhere in the world
  • It will convert converter frequency along with the voltage for items up to 200W. Making This device perfect for trimmers, shavers & clippers.
  • NOTE: This converter is not designed for use with hair dryers, power tools, heaters, and other high power products. If used continuously do not Exceed 200W
  • Travel ready: it includes 3 plugs that's cover most of the world. Type C - Europe & Asia, Type g- UK, UAE, Hong Kong, Type I - Australia & China. It also includes a travel pouch so its ready to go.
Thanks for sharing... That looks perfect for low consumption needs 😍👍

Nice find.

However, the main chord is two wire. So no safety earth. That's why it says good for shavers etc..double insulated equipment

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back