Reel-to-reel enthusiasts?

sughosh

Anyone here who enjoys the sound of reel-to-reel recorders? My dad was a longtime enthusiast, and I sort of inherited it from him. We've had several machines over the years, my current one being a very nice mid-70s model, Akai GX-215D, with the long-lasting glass-crystal ferrite head.

Most of my dad's tapes contain live recordings of Carnatic classical from the 60s and 70s, but there are a few taped from LPs which sound pretty phenomenal, and have lasted quite well.

Would be nice to know like-minded folks.

Here's an image of the model I own

Akai_gx215d.JPG

Even i own an glass-ferrite head tape player frm akai.late 70's Gx model i guess it is.acquird frm murali_n.thanx to him:).looks awesome with vu meter and all but it needs an bit of service.so how do i clean the head?any spl methods or the usual aftershave soaked cotton buds cleaning?!

i also know a guy in pune whose selling these. if any one wants any then let me know, will gladly pass his no

That's a beaut, sughosh :)

I had an inherited Akai too - lovely old X-360 - now long gone, but much missed in the occasional nostalgic moment.

Here's a fuzzy bit of it, taken from the background of an old birthday photo.

akaix360snip.jpg

Even i own an glass-ferrite head tape player frm akai.late 70's Gx model i guess it is.acquird frm murali_n.thanx to him:).looks awesome with vu meter and all but it needs an bit of service.so how do i clean the head?any spl methods or the usual aftershave soaked cotton buds cleaning?!

Always used isopropyl alcohol on cotton hand-wound around a toothpick. Found buds to be too tightly wrapped.

When I went to Purchase my TT , I saw a Reel to Reel Tape recorder in that house. Maintained well and still in working condition, The Old gentleman played a track and sound was equally or even better then the TT. No way I can compare the sound to a CD. It makes the CD cry in shame. Only problem is to maintain it and the space it occupies.

regards

I have a Revox A77 and it works fine....the sound of Open Reel is excellent when compared to Cassette........but now hardly any machines are produced. I remember those Studer and Tascam Machines and how good they sounded but they cost a fortune and very bulky.........
I still have lots of Maxell Tapes and Ampex 456 with me.........

Wow, Revox, Studer and Tascam...that's the high end of things. We pretty much stayed with Akai..could never get hold of any of the top-end brands.

I don't think anyone is making them at all now, but there seems to be a decent circuit of used stuff floating around ebay (that's where I got my current GX-215D).

Ideally, I'd love to own the Akai GX-77, a great 80s machine, with logic controls and auto-threading. Splending-looking piece, but generally doesn't go below 600$ on ebay.

Hi,
I have an AKAI GX 3 Head system with 30+ reels. I am relocating shortly from Gurgaon to Hong Kong and want to sell it to someone who will love it as houses in Hong Kong are small and I have no place for it. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Even today reel to reel has quite a dedicated fan following and all of them say it sounds so much better than vinyl.

HI,

I am new to HiFivision. Could anyone let me know where we can get 10.5" x 1/4 " empty metal reel tapes in Mumbai.

Many Thanks

Hi,
I have an AKAI GX 3 Head system with 30+ reels. I am relocating shortly from Gurgaon to Hong Kong and want to sell it to someone who will love it as houses in Hong Kong are small and I have no place for it. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Hi Mishmash04, always wanted to own one, if you don't mind, kindly post a few pictures...also, what are you looking at in terms of price? What is the complete model number?

Mr. Denzong will you pl give that pune tel no for reel to reel. I am interested in buying one such. I have philips n 4305 and sony tc 530 but not so good. Want to try more latest of 1980-84.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back