repair of David amplifier-HELP

rpanand25

this story goes back to 1987 when I just started earning. I was looking for a assembled amplifier /speaker combo as the major brands available then were expensive and imports were rarely heard of. my budget was limited. Sonodyne amps/speakers and Woodstock speakers were readily available in delhi but were beyond my budget.

I found a notice in paper that one Mr.David was assembling amplifiers and speakers. I visited his house near kalkaji in delhi and found him very serious in designing and assembling amps/speakers. I bought a 28 watt stereo amplifier and a pair of speakers built by him through a local carpenter. He delivered it to me in his car at my home.I bought a Philips tape deck which is as big in size as todays AV receivers. the speaker was a tower with 10",6" and 2" speakers , all made by Philips then. The woofer had butyl rubber surrounds.this cost me about three times my salary then. after using for about 10 years the amplifier went bust and I could not locate him. The local guys would not touch it and the bigger dealers/retailers of standard brands were not interested in repairing.The Philips deck is also not working but the speakers are fine. The set remains with me till day despite pressure from within family to dispose off the items.

now my request is if anyone heard od this gentleman then let me know so that I can get the amplifier repaired. The gentleman was physically challenged and this is also one of the reason I bought from him seeing his keenness to overcome adversity. I donot have much more detail about him but seeing that Hi fi vision forum is very popular I thought he might be a member or someone known to him may read this. This is a long shot and I hope someone would be able to HELP.

Last edited:
Actually nowadays no body is taking seriously if we talk about to repair such kind of old and rare stuff because it all need deep knowledge, attention and also a good time. I have seen many audiophiles who took initiative to replace components (capacitors, transistors, resistance, diodes etc) of their vintage stuffs, to made them work for more 25-30 years.

There is no point to contact branded shops to repair it, you have to find a good local guy to repair it or just visit electronics market and get all the new components according to their values used in amplifier to replace them, you can do it yourself if you have knowledge about electronics. OR check in DIY section if somebody can do it for you.

full circuit board.jpg

circuit board-1.jpg

circuit board-part 2.jpg

I have attached some photos. if need better resolution then I can e mail as this site allows limited jpeg resolution as attachments

the amp looks staple and easily fixable. if you can find someone with the interest and knowledge of electronics, you can definitely get this fixed

Yes it could be definitely fixed, it looks simple push pull power amp with OPAMP based pre integrated.

Hello rpanand25,

Well, that is a relic from the past!

I have known Col. Willy David for a long time, and interacted with him quite a bit when he lived in Delhi. He is now totally retired, in advanced age, living in Lucknow. Don't have any knowledge about his amp though. You can call him in Lucknow at 0522-2481180 and see if he can help.

Regards,
Viren

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back