req help in DIY home speakers

sarathssca

Hello,

Could you please provide some info regarding speakers for DIY home speaker system in India (chennai)?
While looking for speakers I could find sony/JBL car speakers with 40-80w RMS, 90-93db sensitivity. But looking at different fourms and sites, it seems car speakers are not suitable for home use.
Will car speakers work well for home speakers with good encloser?
Could you please suggest some good speakers for home speaker system, available in India?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Hello,

Could you please provide some info regarding speakers for DIY home speaker system in India (chennai)?
While looking for speakers I could find sony/JBL car speakers with 40-80w RMS, 90-93db sensitivity. But looking at different fourms and sites, it seems car speakers are not suitable for home use.
Will car speakers work well for home speakers with good encloser?
Could you please suggest some good speakers for home speaker system, available in India?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

i will not be so emperical as that.

car speakers are optimised differently - most are meant to be installed in leaky door panels - so typically they are high qts designs which can sound boomy in a typical home audioenclousure (or they need too large a box)

for component speakers. - the crossovers are not optimised. that is because you can never predict placement of woofer and tweeter in the car as each car is different.

finally, and I am guessing here - car speakers will be ruggedised - they have to deal with a lot of external weather elements - so cones/ spiders heavier and water resistant. the money goes into all of that; including packaging..

basically i am saying, unless you have a crook for a home component speaker dealer, you will be able to get a better home component for the same price.

one place where it is much easier to use a car audio component - is for subs. not all subs - but many car audio subs, work very well for certain designs in home audio. (and more cost effective too)

please search the forum for references on where to buy speaker components in India. I could paste a link, but i think some effort on your part will not go amiss.

best wishes

Last edited:
For speakers and other components relating to building one you can take help from FM bijin's site : diyaudiocart

On the other hand a FM is selling two boston full rangers in the forum classified's.
There is a pair of peerless (denmark) drivers available with me unused.

Regards
Soumyajyoti

Hello,

Thanks for the inputs.

One question, like is it better to have a stereo with full range speakers and a bass reflex or double bass reflex encloser or go for 2.1 system with stereo full range speakers and a subwoffer?

Also could you please suggest good brands of speakers which may available in India? How are Fostex speakers are they available in India (thought of these as heared that they provide the details of the design of the encloser for their speakers)?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

If you are talking indoor HiFi audio, stay away from car speakers. They are designed diferently. As for availability of brands, FM Bijin (DIY Audiocart) sells most of Peerless products and some Dayton(US) models. I would suggest Peerless for its cost effective nature.
A 2.1 system with a sub is the ideal choice I think.
Ps: I use car speakers in sort of open baffle manner. not bad but bass is poor.

Stay away from car speakers.
As already mentioned diyaudiocart is a good place to go looking. Fostex is not available in India.
The difference of sound between the full range and multiway systems varies from products to product. While creating a enclosure for full range is much more simpler. For pc audio and/or close listening the full range is an ideal choice(no need for crossover network).
Generally I dont like that much bass, so my setup for pc are two mini monitors (2 way) with LM3886 chipamp. The speakers used in building this are both full range, ie, there is no special mid-woofer or tweeter.

Regards

hello,

Could you please suggest good speaker encloser design softwares which we can use for full-range or 2way speaker systems?
Also how important is wattage of the speakers, as when looking at the specs of the speakers drives, not much info or emphasis is given to watts, and more info/emphasis is given to the size of driver (3 / 4/6 inches etc) its parameters fs, qts, etc.
Also looking at the some fostex drivers they are just having 10 or 15 watts only. Is sufficient for use in home TV or we need around some 50 watts per channel?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back