Request for Help on creating a Stereo setup for Music Listening

rajivaryan1984

Dear FMs, Greetings...I would like to seek your valuable inputs for creating a Stereo Setup purely for music listening. As always requested I would like to enjoy the clarity of the music. I am sharing some information below based upon which please share your views.

Room Size - 11Ft by 11
Budget Rs 75000 Rs 80000
Type of Music - Ghazals, Bollywood Songs, English Songs and Kishore Kumar
Sources - iPod/USB Drive / iPhone/ Original Audio CD's / Mp3's / Flac Files from Hard Disk. Will also connect Sony BDP 1500 to the Stereo AMP via Optical cable.

Please advise: -

Speakers On Speakers for Music I am thinking about ELAC B5 or Wharfdale Diamond 225 Speakers. Please feel to suggest anything else. Also, if you support ELAC, kindly advise where in Bangalore ELAC Speakers order can be placed.

Sub woofer For music Listening please suggest do we need to add a sub-woofer and if yes please advise the right sub-woofer for music listening

Amp Planning for Marantz PM6006 or PM 7005. Kindy advise

On cabling and banana plugs please advise which should be used for better sound quality.

Kindly advise, as I am really looking forward to all your valuable guidance and inputs.

Dear FMs, Greetings...I would like to seek your valuable inputs for creating a Stereo Setup purely for music listening. As always requested I would like to enjoy the clarity of the music. I am sharing some information below based upon which please share your views.

Room Size - 11Ft by 11
Budget Rs 75000 Rs 80000
Sources - iPod/USB Drive / iPhone/ Original Audio CD's / Mp3's / Flac Files from Hard Disk. Will also connect Sony BDP 1500 to the Stereo AMP via Optical cable.

Speakers On Speakers for Music I am thinking about ELAC B5 or Wharfdale Diamond 225 Speakers. Please feel to suggest anything else. Also, if you support ELAC, kindly advise where in Bangalore ELAC Speakers order can be placed.

Sub woofer For music Listening please suggest do we need to add a sub-woofer and if yes please advise the right sub-woofer for music listening

On cabling and banana plugs please advise which should be used for better sound quality.

Kindly advise, as I am really looking forward to all your valuable guidance and inputs.

You have a good budget (Budget Rs 75000 Rs 80000) you can extent to 1 L but take your time and audition various setup in shops or even you can visit FM's nearby.

Your consideration "Amp Planning for Marantz PM6006 or PM 7005. Kindy advise"
seems to bring you an ordinary sound nothing else if you want to listen to good quality music just think to fix it from source.If you have a set of good bookshelf dont need any sub.

Listen to various setup around you first take your time then fix it

Dear Rajiv,

If you are into DIY, you can make a very good digital media player & Amp using the Raspberry Pi + Allo Boss DAC coupled with a TPA3116D2 chip based Amplifier. The sound quality will rival that from expensive DACS and Amplifiers.

I have built one myself and it costs about 15k to build. I am using Paradigm Monitor 11 speakers, and no subwoofer.

Room Size - 11Ft by 11
<snip>

Be scared, be very scared - of your room, it is closed to perfectly cuboid and will be a vengeful monster.

There is hope though, see this post for what small rooms can be made to sound like (note I am nowhere near that level) http://www.hifivision.com/diy/61250-effects-speaker-placement-room-treatment-4.html#post680136.

You might not need a sub. you will need to budget for treatment/ correction. if you are chasing imaging and tuneful bass.

The myriad other details reduce to nothingness relative to how your room horribly influences your listening, control or defeat it. Or you never will

ciao
gr

Room Size - 11Ft by 11
Budget Rs 75000 Rs 80000

Marantz with Wharfedale and Marantz with DALI is a popular combination that works well. For the DAC you can get a SMSL which happens to be another popular choice here.

If you want to think out of the box, which will be of immense importance when the budget is tight, you can try Marantz Melody series of amps which will eliminate the need for a separate DAC hence reducing the overall outlay leaving you to spend more on speakers that is of paramount importance in the circumstances.

No need to bother about a sub. You don't really need one.

Buy DAC cables, use bare-wire.

As always requested I would like to enjoy the clarity of the music.

Take the bass of the speaker using a crossover and you will get some more clarity from your speaker..

Room Size - 11Ft by 11

I have lil wider room than your's, 14 x 11 and use dual identical subs with an AVR for both stereo & movies, bass is more convincing..

More than sub-woofer being a personal choice for music, i think a sub-woofer(s) is useful to address some room issues effectively.. Even if you pick an expensive sub and put it randomly in a room, optimal response if not achieved..

You can consider a Denon x 1300 AVR, which will help you connect your iphone wireless, will connect your BDP thru HDMI and you get Audyssey Multi EQ XT (Digital Room Correction) handy, which can be tweaked with mobile..

Room Size - 11Ft by 11
Budget Rs 75000 Rs 80000

Hi,If budget is available go for pm7005 (Its made in Japan) .
You can consider Dali Zensor series , KEF Q series also in option for auditioning.
I'm using PM6005 +Dali Zensor 5 combo ,its very nice for me.Zensor 3 bookshelves also matches well.
As told by FM,I have heard square rooms will be difficult to acoustic treatment than rectangle rooms.Please ensure that.
Go for good quality 14/12 guage speaker cables. The Banana plug like Nakamichi/Sound foundation Aurum can be used.
The source really matters . The format like wav/flac will have more clarity.
Subwoofer may not be required ,if budget permits u can go for that.(It may add flavour to some types of song,it also depends what type of music u hear).

Dear FM's,

After some auditions I have finalized for speakers on Whaferdale 225 but for amp I am confused between - Marantz PM6005 / Cambridge 651A and Emotiva PT100. Please advise out of these 3 which will be my best setup for Music. And again please note the sources will be Cd's Mp3', Flac files from USB Hard Disk, PC and I pod.

Please advise or suggest if there is much better alternative I should go ahead with looking at the sources.

Dear FM's,

After some auditions I have finalized for speakers on Whaferdale 225 but for amp I am confused between - Marantz PM6005 / Cambridge 651A and Emotiva PT100. Please advise out of these 3 which will be my best setup for Music. And again please note the sources will be Cd's Mp3', Flac files from USB Hard Disk, PC and I pod.

Please advise or suggest if there is much better alternative I should go ahead with looking at the sources.

Marantz PM6005 + Warfe 225 = Excellent Combo
PM6xxx built-in DAC is good enough to start with, but only accepts optical & coaxial input.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back