Request Request Suggestions for a Decently Priced Stereo System / Turntable

hildebrand

Hi All,
I am considering buying myself a decent stereo system (2 speakers + amplifier) and maybe a dvd player too.
My budget is around 25-30k but I maybe able to stretch it a bit.

I aim to use it for the following:-
1. Listen to music from laptop/dvd player (most of it shall be ancient hindi music although I hear newer hindi and English songs particularly country/pop as well sometimes)
2. Connect it to the dvd player to watch movies from my movie collection.
3. Connect it to a turntable (I currently have a Philips 932 TT which has its own speaker which I want to upgrade, hence I am searching for a friend who can bring an Audio Technica LP120 for me from USA).

I want ideally something I can listen to in a store locally and decide. I went to a Yamaha showroom here in Phoenix Market City and listened to their tower speakers with their amp but wasn't particularly impressed.
Am considering visiting Bose showroom on M G Road to listen to their 201/301 systems (any idea about which amps go well with Bose speakers in case I like them? According to their showroom in Phoenix they don't make separate amplifiers).

I am also considering buying Sonodyne system. Have heard that they give 26% discount around republic day. Any idea if they have the discount in bangalore as well and where I can audition their system here?

Also if you know of any good new turntables available in India which are not very expensive say under 20k do let me know about the same too in case I am not able to find anyone coming to US. I see that New Gramophone House has some under 20k like Jensen etc but I don't know if they are any good. Having 78 rpm playback is important for me. Here's ngh link so that you know which ones I am talking about:-
Turntables
Record Players
Must say though that they seem over priced to me. LP120 is being offered for 45k while ebay us has it for 14.5k only.

I know too many questions but am sure all knowledgeable FMs have all the answers (and some more :p)

One thing I was warned from buying Turntables from USA is due to the 50 HZ - 60 Hz difference which renders motor speeds inaccurate unless a US made TT has the feature to swap, some sell separate kits for this conversion,. So your best best should be UK brought TTs or otherwise the route I went was for buying the used TTs (thanks to a lot of FMs here who helped make it possible) and then got its important parts like headshell and cart upgraded. Total cost came to roughly 20K.

Otherwise I had a Philips Hi-Q international which comes with oen speker, EQ and amp but I beleive they were 4ohm spekers and difficult to upgrade since they came as a package,

For reasonably priced turntables, look at the Project Essential/Debut range. I believe there are two dealers in the city - Audioplanet and Audiodynamics. Both are located in koramangala. However even these would cost 20k or so for the basic tables.

If you must put an entire system - TT, Speakers and amp within 30k, your only option is to look at used equipment.

Haisaikat: Yes will go for dual voltage models only. LP120 option I chose because of the feature and builtin 78rpm though i may go for a separate headshell and cart for the 78.

Reignofchaos: My 30k budget is for the stereo system only as mentioned. Separate 20k for the TT. I have already been to profx and audiodynamics. The lower end denon are no good and need a preamp which alone costs 26k onwards. The debut carbon is for 35.5k which is high. Again no 78rpm option in these too. Please advise accordingly.

Last edited:
Haisaikat: Yes will go for dual voltage models only. LP120 option I chose because of the feature and builtin 78rpm though i may go for a separate headshell and cart for the 78.

Hi,
Here is something to share with you. last year I boucht AT LP120 from eBay.in through Global Easy Buy. The TT is Good to me though may not be to the liking of audiophiles.( I am not one). the purchase was smooth except some visits to the Sales Tax office as I had to pay some taxes for a waybill to get the product cleared from customs at Mumbai.
Rest about Sonodyne. I have also heard their SIA320. and am planning for one in Jan 14 when they offer discounts.

Thanks for the reply. How much did the TT cost you finally?
What is the cost of these speakers? Is the 26% discount nationwide or only in Kolkata?

I just talked to Sonodyne's bangalore office. The home audio setup is available for listening at Chroma store in Eva Mall on Brigade Road. He said no discount was offered at bangalore last year and he doesn't know about this year. Usually it starts Jan 1 according to him.

I just talked to Sonodyne's bangalore office. The home audio setup is available for listening at Chroma store in Eva Mall on Brigade Road. He said no discount was offered at bangalore last year and he doesn't know about this year. Usually it starts Jan 1 according to him.

If you have 30K budget for amp + speakers do consider Norge 2060 or Norge 1000 models (< 12K) along with Norge speakers or Cambridge Audio S30 speakers (10K) and invest the rest with a CNC Phono stage (<4K) and MX Interconnects and speakers wires. This way your preamp, amp, speakers and connections are covered in 30K and will be a very good starter setup. At least better than the denons. I have Norge 2060 with Wharfe Diamond 9.1 bookshelves and the sound is trylu enjoyable.

78 rpm is hard to get on entry level turntables. Only options are the cheap direct drives from audiotechnica. However they do not sound that good. The lp120 has audible motor noise.

The project debut will play 78 with an additional pulley and speed box. Honestly speaking I'd look for a vintage TT in the used market if your budget is a strict 20k.

If you have 30K budget for amp + speakers do consider Norge 2060 or Norge 1000 models (< 12K) along with Norge speakers or Cambridge Audio S30 speakers (10K) and invest the rest with a CNC Phono stage (<4K) and MX Interconnects and speakers wires. This way your preamp, amp, speakers and connections are covered in 30K and will be a very good starter setup. At least better than the denons. I have Norge 2060 with Wharfe Diamond 9.1 bookshelves and the sound is trylu enjoyable.

I came to know from some posts that a local dealer Vector Systems, Brigade Road stocks them (although their website doesn't mention them). I will try to go there and audition for it. Thanks for your inputs haisaikat!

78 rpm is hard to get on entry level turntables. Only options are the cheap direct drives from audiotechnica. However they do not sound that good. The lp120 has audible motor noise.

The project debut will play 78 with an additional pulley and speed box. Honestly speaking I'd look for a vintage TT in the used market if your budget is a strict 20k.

I have read that 78 RPMs have better SQ due to the added resolution of 1 track per side as compared to LPs and EPs. However the fact that it requires frequent disc changing makes them inconvenient, Unless you already have a good collection of 78s they will be difficult to purchase. I had a few 78s but now practically I find them inconvenient even if I play them on my 78 rpm capable portable Numark (and cheap too) TT by placing it beside me.

I really would like to hear someone's LP120 if they have one in Bangalore to help make a decision. I have seen sometimes that what some people detest, my ears don't mind. The reverse also holds true many times though where people rave about something and I just don't appreciate it

Vintage TTs are an option of course like you and Shivam mention as an upgrade to the current one (which is also a used one). I am keeping an eye out for those too though somewhere want the second one to be a new one.

In my opinion, a vintage Garrard changer would be just apt for 78s.

To name a few that you can find here:

Garrard RC210 and series to follow
Garrard 1000 / 100
Garrard 2025
Garrard AT60
Garrard AT6

All of these are Idlers. You can also disable the Changer option.

I have read that 78 RPMs have better SQ due to the added resolution of 1 track per side as compared to LPs and EPs. However the fact that it requires frequent disc changing makes them inconvenient, Unless you already have a good collection of 78s they will be difficult to purchase. I had a few 78s but now practically I find them inconvenient even if I play them on my 78 rpm capable portable Numark (and cheap too) TT by placing it beside me.

Yes, 78 rpms have the best SQ. They are the real analog recording with no digital anywhere. I find changing the disk frequently inconvenient too but the sound compensates for the little convenience. Not only do I have some 78 rpms, I have paid literally thousands for 78 rpm rips over the years from collectors. The music of the 78 rpm era is the best according to me with lots of variety and all the artists putting maximum efforts to literally chisel the songs. The melody of those songs is incomparable with songs of later era. Because of my love for the era, I discovered many great forgotten artists and even run some websites on artists of the era as a hobby. I am truly addicted to them now :yahoo:

In my opinion, a vintage Garrard changer would be just apt for 78s.

To name a few that you can find here:

Garrard RC210 and series to follow
Garrard 1000 / 100
Garrard 2025
Garrard AT60
Garrard AT6

All of these are Idlers. You can also disable the Changer option.

where can I get them and at what rate in Bangalore?
I have also heard only good things about Garrard series for 78 rpm from my record collector friends.

where can I get them and at what rate in Bangalore?
I have also heard only good things about Garrard series for 78 rpm from my record collector friends.

Well you gotta do the scouting. A good piece and deal may just come by. I was lucky to get a new/old piece without the plinth and then I custom made a plinth for that.

Pricing, it depends on the condition and quality of the TT. Can start at even 3k for a piece which is not in great condition and requires significant amount of work and go higher for the good condition plug and play TTs.

Last edited:
FM Hemantwaghe has a couple of garrards with him for sale, pls get in touch with him.

Thanks everyone for various inputs provided by you all. There has been progress on both friends.

Kuruvila Sir saw my post and offered me a Garrard 6-400 to meet my requirements. It has a ceramic cartridge and doesn't have a dust cover but he says its in good condition. I think once it comes I'll ask RP's source Sowmya if they can do the needful.
I shall be taking Reuben's help for the ceramic phonostage. He has been giving me various inputs which I really appreciate. So once all this falls in place I should be able to enjoy my 78 rpms again.

I contacted Mr Shyam Bajaj, maker of the Norge series and found him to be a thorough gentleman.
I saw the website Norge Audio and had various discussions with him.
His current prices (not including shipping) are as follows:-
1. Norge 1000 - 12500
2. Norge 2060 - 9750
3. Remote for above - 1500
4. Millenium Mk II Bookshelf Speakers - 14500
I also came to know that the company makes phono stages (for magnetic cartridges) also.
The phono stage is priced at Rs 3000 only. He even offered to integrate the phono stage into the amplifier for Rs 1500 only for me. I finally decided not to go for the integration since my philips already has a built in pre-amp and the coming Garrard one is a different cart. I can always buy it later so I decided to drop it for now in case a requirement comes up though If I go for a new TT,I will go for one with a built in pre-amp so the amp will work fine.
I decided to choose the 2060 only finally though was tilting towards 1000 for most of the discussion. It seems to be a good match for the speakers.

If anyone is interested in the Norge Series, I suggest that you go for buying immediately. Mr Bajaj informed me that they have been holding the same prices since 2011 and that they will be revising their prices from 1st of January, 2014.

Thanks haisaikat and all others for your valuable inputs. Hope to have a better musical 2014 for me and I wish the same to you all too :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back