<Request> Suggestion on Placement of the front left and right speakers of 5.1 ch HT

JaggiDhawk

Greetings Experts,
Really and genuinely need you expert advice in setting my 5.1 ch. HT
Before I start, Id like to apologies in advance for this stupid question and definitely about my silly diagram.

So, I have pretty much a square shaped room with wardrobes in front of the couch.
T.V placement is right in the middle of the two wardrobes and I am really confused about the placement of the front left and right speakers of my 5.1 ch HT (please find the diagram of the room, attached)

Note: I am using Onkyo S4505 with Room Acoustic Correction and all the Red boxes in the diagram are the 5 speakers.

Concern and confusion: In the sides of the T.V I have only 8.5 inches of space, either side and I am little hesitant placing the front left and right speakers in such a close distance form T.V and that too deep inside the wardrobe walls.

My silly thoughts and Option available: The only option that I am left with is, placing these front left and right speakers on the side walls of the room (as shown in the diagram). Now as one of the walls/pillars are right next to the entrance door and bathroom door, I have to place it at the height of about 6.5 ft. BUT making sure that the position of the speakers are towards the couch, with the help of the flexible speakers mounts.

Two Big Questions: 1.) Would my silly thought work at all? 2.) Would this spoil the experience, too much?

I would greatly appreciate your kind suggestions.

Thanks and Regards
Jagmeet

Re: <Request> Suggestion on Placement of the front left and right speakers of 5.1 ch

Jagmeet,

Its tricky to place the Fronts in the room.Normally fronts should be placed somewhere at 4-6 feet height and just 3-4 feet away from TV position. But the wardrobe is completly blocking the area.Its not possible to make the Fronts on stands and make it near wardrobe, as its disturbes while opening or closing.

The only idea what i feel is "In case your Wardrobe is 5-6 feet tall then can keep the fronts on the top of wardrobe at the middle position facing the couch and can change the delays on fronts to be bit lounder.But in case the wardrobe is too taller,then am sorry, please wait for some expert to answer

Re: <Request> Suggestion on Placement of the front left and right speakers of 5.1 ch

If you have option then buy speaker stands (light weight ones are available at Yamaha, etc stores) and put close to walls so that this way you can face the speaker towards the couch. or position them on wall accordingly

Try keeping your couch next to your bathroom door. Screen and speakers on the opposite wall. The wall on your left (blank wall on the opposite side of wardrobes) will require some good diffusers and absorbers.

Jagmeet,

Unfortunately your cupboard is one big blocker and if you cant move it around then we have few choices.

1. Change the door type. Make it a sliding kind of door then a normal one which opens inside.
2. The fronts have to face the viewer seated at the couch. You can keep it in the corner facing you at 45-50 degrees. Maybe keep it a slight distance from the door of the cupboard. I'm presuming these are satellite speakers and hence make it easier to move then around.

And please don't keep the speakers on the side walls.

Neo.

Place your couch on the entrance wall-- Rotate couch 90degrees counter clockwise

Rotate everything 90 degrees counterclockwise- Whether this is practical or not- I cant tell without seeing a picture. Place your couch roughly 10 feet from the TV and your surround speakers roughly 1 feet behind you and roughly 1 feet above your ear level.

Place TV and Speakers on opposite wall- spreadout roughly 8 feet apart

I agree with Thtpro.............is there any reason why you want to place the tv between the 2 wardrobes? can you instead put the couch there and then you can have the tv and front speakers set up exactly as they should be in a 5.1 setup.

Have a look : Home Theater Surround Sound Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

Try to stick with the above link...........all the best!!!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back