require suggestion for Subwoofer

king2163

Now I am on my last hunt for my home theater which is a sub woofer. After long research I found

https://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-YST-SW...ubwoofer/dp/B000MT7RVY?tag=googinhydr18418-21

which seems to fit in my budget.

I found one strange thing. even it is 10 inch sub woofer, it is claiming to have min frequency response as low as 20hz and have 250 rms power which seems to be competitive at this price point. Not sure about it's warranty.

Thanks For everybody for helping me in the process of building my first home theater.

Few K's more, you will get Bic America F12 which is quite a performer for the price and has 12 inch driver which can justify the low frequency of 24 hz. With 10 inch we don't get that deep as specified. Also 5 year warranty the F12 carries. Lots of reviews in hifivision and amazon.com.

Now I am on my last hunt for my home theater which is a sub woofer. After long research I found

https://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-YST-SW...ubwoofer/dp/B000MT7RVY?tag=googinhydr18418-21

which seems to fit in my budget.

I found one strange thing. even it is 10 inch sub woofer, it is claiming to have min frequency response as low as 20hz and have 250 rms power which seems to be competitive at this price point. Not sure about it's warranty.

Thanks For everybody for helping me in the process of building my first home theater.
Woofer size is not always linked to how deep a sub goes. It is in the design of the sub that allows it to go lower in frequencies, one of them being ported designs. Some subs use passive radiators to get low frequencies. Just as some bookshelf speakers with 6 inch woofers, go down to 50 or even 40 hz. Servo controlled are usually better. As with everything, audition if you can. Bic America, Velodyne, SVS are some of the favorites on this forum.

Woofer size is not always linked to how deep a sub goes. It is in the design of the sub that allows it to go lower in frequencies, one of them being ported designs. Some subs use passive radiators to get low frequencies. Just as some bookshelf speakers with 6 inch woofers, go down to 50 or even 40 hz. Servo controlled are usually better. As with everything, audition if you can. Bic America, Velodyne, SVS are some of the favorites on this forum.
I am living in small town. I bought everything just by review and very happy with my selection. I have gone through almost all review on amazon.com and found yamaha subwoofer has longer life comapare to bic america. I found many people using it since more than 10 years. Not made using cheap electronic.

Subwoofer is also not power hungry like other sub. They are efficiently translating electric energy to sound energy. Top of this it is amazon choice product on amazon.com

Sorry for typo, i am using mobile in running car

I am living in small town. I bought everything just by review and very happy with my selection. I have gone through almost all review on amazon.com and found yamaha subwoofer has longer life comapare to bic america. I found many people using it since more than 10 years. Not made using cheap electronic.
By no means Bic America uses cheap electronics, it's been top of the lists since 1970s and provide one of the longest warranty for it products. Bic speakers have 7 years warranty. That itself guarantees the quality of the long running electronics. Cheaper price always don't mean low quality.

True, but many brands specify 20Hz response for the price less than 30k which is difficult to achieve without superior design and superior components.

By no means Bic America uses cheap electronics, it's been top of the lists since 1970s and provide one of the longest warranty for it products. Bic speakers have 7 years warranty. That itself guarantees the quality of the long running electronics. Cheaper price always don't mean low quality.
I am not sure about credibility of it's warranty . check their linkdin page at https://www.linkedin.com/company/bic-america/

Bic America website doesn't seems to be professional.

it says 2-10 employee. how is it possible if company has been running since 1970 and it has only 1-10 employee vs Yamaha which has more than 3000 employee. I am sure Yamaha has it's own R&D center for product improvement.

did you compare Yamaha subwoofers with Rhythmic subwoofers?
one of the best subwoofers in the world.. you cant compare the build quality and sound produced by Rhythmic Audio subwoofers ..

did you see their website.. Not professional too,.. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/
https://in.linkedin.com/company/rythmik-audio-inc.
how can compare the quality of a product with the web site and employee numbers...
I agree Yamaha is one of best company in AV world, but yamaha not very best in speakers and subwoofers compare with other competitors..

Last edited:
I hope employees in Bic America is not providing warranty in India. It is the brand importer who support warranty as they have contract with the brand. As long as you get warranty covered and products is best in segment I would spend my penny in that.

I have checked all the review of bic pl200 as well as f12 on amazon.com. No body was happy with their service. If the company is not able to give service to their direct customer in US what about brand importer. Finger crossed!

Seems ur mind is already made up and since u get so much information from amazon, u shud buy the Yamaha. Good luck.

Let's see the review snapshots of bic f12, pl200 and Yamaha sw315 on Amazon.com. It's clear that bic subs have 5-7% negative ratings only with average rating of 4.5.
The Yamaha has also good ratings but total reviewers are only a small fraction of the Bic ones.
So it's clear which ones are Amazon favourites. There will be negative experiences with any product but as long as it's limited, it should be okay.

And I do agree with celester340 that it seems the OP has made up his mind. I am still posting this so that other FMs looking for sub are not misguided.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180305-073517.jpg
    Screenshot_20180305-073517.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20180305-073307.jpg
    Screenshot_20180305-073307.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20180305-073332.jpg
    Screenshot_20180305-073332.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 15
Firstly......Amazon is a selling platform and anyone who has a log in id can post good and bad reviews.....its a marketing trick which has been going on for years....same applies to Ebay etc......

As I had stated in one of my posts, go for the subwoofer which can go minimum 10hz lower than your front / main speakers...the more closer to 20hz...the better....don't get blinded by the subwoofer power unless you have a very large sitting room or HT room......sound waves reflect around in the room.......the most important thing is to ensure that the sub has the right set of High / Low input connectivity options...often some go blindly purchasing and end up asking for jugaads (options) to hook up the sub.....

BIC America is a strong brand and has decent products which offer good value for money invested and does the job...I took an audition and took the plunge and shared my feedback / comments on the same. Some have done the same and are very contented users.....

Yamaha is also good and so is Emotiva or Taga etc....all depends on your budget, the actual requirements etc....if you cant audition, depend on feedback and trusted reviews which are posted by our FMs on HFV and possibly other sites.....Youtube videos also help to some extent.

There are dedicated Owner threads of Taga, Yamaha, Pioneer, BIC America, Marantz etc. You can possibly go through those and posts your queries if any and take a decision on the purchase.

For actual specs, please visit the manufacturers website and don't depend on Amazon or other dealer websites......sometimes the content captured there is adultrated.

All the best!

Assuming your budget is 25K, you may also consider Taga TSW 200, a 12 inch subs for 23K..
I have purchased all my gear through other's review
I did not see any good indepth review of taga brand over internet. What is relibility?

I have purchased all my gear through other's review
I did not see any good indepth review of taga brand over internet. What is relibility?

Always good to take the reviews with a pinch of salt.. But not solely based on reviews..

I have dual Taga Harmony Platinum Sw 10 v.2 subs.. When i bought them, there were no reviews on the net/forum..But still i bought them coz, they were priced excellently..

Always good to take the reviews with a pinch of salt.. But not solely based on reviews..

I have dual Taga Harmony Platinum Sw 10 v.2 subs.. When i bought them, there were no reviews on the net/forum..But still i bought them coz, they were priced excellently..

May be you got a chance for audition, but i can only buy through eCommerce website.

Back