Rescuing Living Room Ceiling Audio with a Subwoofer

rubberneck1

Hi guys,

So I am just setting up my new house in Mumbai, and have a bit of a problem with the sound system. My decorator and fiance did not want me to use regular speakers in the living room so I had to use concealed in ceiling speakers.

I was travelling to the US so I bought these (both highly reviewed for their value for money):

4x 6.5" Monoprice 2-way speakers (60w nominal)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4103

1x Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class-T stereo amp (60wpc @ 4 ohm)
Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Mini Amplifier 60 WPC

I'm running the speakers in parallel for a 4 ohm load. As I had been warned, in ceiling speakers are not ideal for sound reproduction - the sound is harsh and muddy, because it reflects directly off the floor instead of being angled towards the listener. That, I think I can live with (and will hopefully reduce as we fill up the house with furniture & carpeting etc.).

The other, bigger problem, is that bass is almost non-existent. I hear a dull, faint thump in place of what I would like to be rich and full bass reproduction :mad:. So now I must buy a powered subwoofer to help balance out the sound. I am on a strict budget so I am looking at the INR 20k range. I understand the limitations that come with this price range but want to do the best I can within the constraint. My living room is about 20 ft x 10 ft. I know I won't get earth shaking bass at my price point, but just having something to bring some balance to the sound will be good enough for me.

My questions (finally!):

1. It looks like Sonodyne is good VFM because it's a domestic brand. I'm looking at the Roarr 108 (Rs.19,100), Roarr 210 (Rs.23,520), Sub S6 (Rs.21,530) models (prices from hifimart). What is the best place to buy in Mumbai? Online via hifimart? Any other recommendations in my price range?

2. My stereo amp is relatively simple. It takes an RCA or headphone input and then provides a stereo amplified output. No LFE channel etc. I guess I would run my audio source into the sub first, and then out thru the subs line out to my stereo amp and then onwards to the speakers? If so, it appears the Roarr models do not have a line out feature (but the "Sub" models do) and so I cannot go with the Roarrs. Can someone please confirm this? Or if you think another configuration works better?

Many thanks for your advice! Cheers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back