restoration of Siemens Grand SuperRadio type 790W

kaypeevee

Hello,
Let me introduce myself first. I am an engineer by profession but now leading a retired life at Kochi, Kerala.
I have been doing restoration of vintage radios for quite some years now. They were far and few in between as my job commitments did not allow me to spend much time on this activity. The radio I have referred to above, was bought in 1982 from a then Akashvani official. It has served me well all these years. I had to keep this set in storage for about 3 years for some personal reasons. I had packed it reasonably well for the storage.
About 3 months back I wanted to listen to it again. It worked in some bands and the other bands were almost silent.I did all the usual procedures to put it back into operation.After protracted inspection the problem was found to be a short tuning condenser.You may be aware that the tuning condenser in this set it protected well from dust and insects.On opening the protection covers of the tuning condenser it was found that some insect had found it to be very a very cosy place for breeding purposes.My tuning of the set had infact
had all that remained after the breeding to get inbetween the narrow plates damaging it badly.My efforts to straightening these plates were only partially successful. I am looking for a tuning gang conderser for replacing the old one.It has 3 sections which means that the radio has a tuned RF section.I am also looking for a complete coil pack for this radio as some of the coil windings have been damaged by these insects. You may be aware that this was manufactured in India, by M/S Eastern Electronics , Faridabad.
I am also interested in buying a separate radio with these two parts intact.
I am approaching you through this forum to help me out in restoring this set.
My Onam greeting to all the members of this forum.
Lookig forward to hearing from you.
Vijayakumar

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back