Restored: vintage technics SB-F3 bookshelf speakers

pathakajit

Just finished restoring a pair of the famous technics SB-F3 bookshelf speakers.

I had bought the pair a few months ago from the first owner - without actually seeing or hearing the speakers. Upon picking them up, closer inspection revealed that the cabinets were heavily scuffed, oxidized and discolored.

JGgsvXm.jpg

kYseK5U.jpg

Playing them for the first time revealed that the woofer surrounds seemed to be perished. Quick look inside confirmed this.

MPMEGii.jpg

I was now left with a pair of supposedly outstanding speakers, needing cosmetic make over and speaker repair.. This would take time..

Over the next few weeks, got the woofer surrounds replaced once, tested, found voice coil rubbing and finally reconed the woofers.. Had some good experiences with speaker repair technicians and some not so good ones.. Plenty of learning though!

Simultaneously I was also deciding about the cosmetic salvation of the cabinets..

The cabinets of these speakers are simply marvelous.. They are entirely made from aluminum, have internal bracing and are lined (internally) with thick sheets of rubber..

I remembered reading an old post on brairsfield uk site about finishing these speakers in shiny aluminum and the plan was formed. Over the next few weeks, I stripped the old silver paint off the cabinets, then dry and wet sanded the cabinets with varying degrees of polish papers - This turned out to be a mammoth task for the perfectionist in me.. Having to do it all by hand (no electric sander) left me with swollen and aching fingers on some days.. Finally, the feont plates of the cabinets were suffiently smooth and the cabinets were spray painted with primer..

yej0pyw.jpg

2 coats of primer, 24 hour drying (left in the sun all day) and wet sanding between each coats-

I6Tnxio.jpg

4 coats of gloss black paint- 24 hour drying and wet sanding after each coat (400 grit after first coat, 2000 grit after next two coats and 4 th coat left unsanded)
Two coats of clear, 2000 grit wet sanding after each coat and final top coat yeilded this-

qROJmVM.jpg

LPmDAQj.jpg

Got the face plates buffed and tidied up the badges-

J5ZngNu.jpg

Final assembly done-

7afxH5H.jpg

The entire process was vastly time consuming. I couldn't wait to get done with work so that I could continue where the restoration was last left! Weekends were invested entirely into this project. Break during Diwali lengthened the timelines, this when the end was in sight!!

Then, when I fired up these babies, it was completely worth it! They image like crazy is what I had read about these speakers - I couldn't believe how spot on that statement was..The soundstage is brilliant! Separation is fantastic.. Lows are very, very good.. Mids are strong and the highs are something else.. That horn tweeter is a gem! These easily beat some of the 25-30k speakers from BIG brands which I have heard..

During the project, I was highly impressed by the build quality of these speakers.. They are solidly put together.. In the real sense of the term! No cheap plastic bits anywhere.. Even the badges are aluminum! :clapping:

... Experiencing bliss right now.

Good effort and neat result Ajit,

I read these were available between 1980 and 1983. Looks like Al alloy die-cast enclosure.
Just curious, how the front panel/baffle is fixed to the cabinet without any air gaps?
Also, are the binding posts screw terminal type? not clear from the picture.

Good luck!

A superb piece of art work.Looks better than the original.Happy listening.

Thanking you,

pksnathan

At first I was unsure whether to restore in the original paint scheme or move away to entirely customized look.. Quite please with how turned it out.

hard choices - lead to good results !! :lol:

Sometimes they definitely do! :eek:hyeah:

Good effort and neat result Ajit,

I read these were available between 1980 and 1983. Looks like Al alloy die-cast enclosure.
Just curious, how the front panel/baffle is fixed to the cabinet without any air gaps?
Also, are the binding posts screw terminal type? not clear from the picture.

Good luck!

Thanks, Hydrovac..
I believe they were available from middle of 79 thru 83. The pair was bought by the owner in 80.
Yes, the enclosure is indeed die casted aluminum.. Stripping the paint revealed casting imperfections.. These had to be sanded off (to the best of my abilities) for the shiny aluminum finish.. There were times I considered ditching the plan and spray painting the entire cabinet.. But, I prevailed! :lol:

Air gaps between the cabinet sections are prevented by a rubber bidding. The bidding for both cabinets is still in great condition.

Binding posts do have screw type terminals.. I did not bother changing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir ,

This is really great work. I have never heard such Imaging in any of the entry level speaker which Technics SB F3 Does.They are not only good in imaging also they sound best for Classical and Voice is so so lively.
Its best for best room setup and instrumentals. I cant find much followers for Technics Speakers but am a bit Mad for these series.

One of my dream to check with them with Tubes atleast one.
All the best, I recommend you to give life for these vintage beauties

I cant find much followers for Technics Speakers but am a bit Mad for these series.

Thanks Audio_Freek.
Having heard the technics SB-F1 and SB-F2 as well, I too am in awe of this series.. They are very very able speakers in their respective segments.. And what build quality!!

Are you interested in the matching pre & power units that were offered with these speakers???
SE-C01, SU-C01 & SH-C01
Technics C01 on thevintageknob.org

I was not thinking on those lines.. I have a pretty good vintage Fisher micro system already..

... But, now you have got me thinking! :lol:

Do you have these components for sale? PM me details, if so.. Thanks

Hi pathakji, i still have the matching pre, power & tuner in immaculate condition, but unfortunately i did not come with speakers. I was always wondering how it would have sounded with the original pair of speakers. You are lucky to have those :)

Technics_01.jpg

GuitaranimampsigforHFV7Aug2014_zpsc890ea2b.gif

Hi pathakji, i still have the matching pre, power & tuner in immaculate condition, but unfortunately i did not come with speakers. I was always wondering how it would have sounded with the original pair of speakers. You are lucky to have those :)

Technics_01.jpg

GuitaranimampsigforHFV7Aug2014_zpsc890ea2b.gif

That's some good looking technics gear, Anil.
What speakers do you have hooked up to these? How does it sound?

I tried hooking up the SB-F3 to my fisher mini component system ( only tuner and amp is with me now) and the combination sounds punchy..
The Fisher amp puts out about 45wpc RMS..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back