Revel Concerta2 F36 vs KEF Q950

sunilsanketh

which one would be better? for both music and movies
I would like your recommendations for front floor standing speakers for Denon X4700 AVR.
Also would like to know about any Revel dealers with best price possibly in chennai/banglore/hyderabad.

Haven’t tested both side by side, but I liked Revel F36.
For KEF you have to check R series for equal comparison. These are expensive speakers, so do audition and then decide.

Revel F36 would be more on par with R series of KEF. I too wanted to audition KEF but could not find any in Bangalore, however ARN solutions did mention they can help source one if I decide to go ahead

I would like your recommendations for front floor standing speakers for Denon X4700 AVR.
Also would like to know about any Revel dealers with best price possibly in chennai/banglore/hyderabad.
Make sure you audition Kef R3 alongside Q950. R3 sounds amazing.

What will be given more weightage? Movies or music?

Simply put, and without having heard the R3 or the Q950 at that, but having lived with the Q350 (for a good 4 years) which i presume is basically the exact same speaker as the Q950, please do not even consider them in the same ball park.

If you are considering the KEF Qx50 series, get the Q350 alongwith a subwoofer. It'll have much better bass performance than the Q950 for both music and movies (while having an identical sound signature in mids and treble) and likely be cheaper too (depending on the sub). Plus, you get the added convenience of placement flexibility.

Read @fLUX's very informative opinion on his impressions of the Q950 vis-a-vis the R3 and some other floorstanders around that price range.

Revel F36 would be more on par with R series of KEF. I too wanted to audition KEF but could not find any in Bangalore, however ARN solutions did mention they can help source one if I decide to go ahead
A small correction, meant could not find Revel for audition in Bangalore, thanks @Kumar442244 for pointing it out :)

Last edited:
R3 - very flat frequency ; very good directivity so in rooms with lot of reflective surfaces even without much acoustics it would sound good. Bass extension is lower than q 950. so, issues with bass are relatively less in room but also means no deep bass. Ideal for music;

Q950- a big dip in one part of the frequency. Extension is better, directivity is poor in comparison. Ideal for home theater with some eq as it handles loudness without distortion.

R3 with a sub with crossover above 150hz is going to give you better fidelity with lots of headroom for loudness without any distotion. But again that’s more exepensive. If it was for not for extreme loudness, I would pick the r3 for it’s directivity and perfect frequency response

But KEF R3 are bookshelf speakers...how can we compare with Q 950
R3 is a proper 3-way standmount speaker; it is an insult to call it bookshelf speaker.
Listen to them if you get a chance.
Have not listened to Revel speakers, but they have a solid fan base.

I have R300 (the previous gen). The R3 betters it in many way, notably bass and smooth HF (less rowdy).
KEF owners on the forum will all say this; "dead center imaging" in any room

Cheers,
Raghu

I have listened to a number of branded floorstanders over the years in different price brackets from 50k to 5L per pair.
I’m of the view any floorstander below 2L does not stand any chance besides standmounts in the same price bracket. Would like to be proven otherwise.

I have listened to a number of branded floorstanders over the years in different price brackets from 50k to 5L per pair.
I’m of the view any floorstander below 2L does not stand any chance besides standmounts in the same price bracket. Would like to be proven otherwise.
In which aspect? Imaging and transparency? Soundstage? Bass extension? Any limitation on electronics and treatment?

I'd like to take up that challenge! :)
KEF owners on the forum will all say this; "dead center imaging" in any room

Cheers,
Raghu
KEFs image like nobody business! Dead centre imaging is relatively easy to get from any decent loudspeaker with a bit of care. However, it's the KEFs lateral imaging beyond the speakers, even from KEFs entry level speakers such as the Q series, that makes it phenomenal!

Last edited:
In which aspect? Imaging and transparency? Soundstage? Bass extension? Any limitation on electronics and treatment?

I'd like to take up that challenge! :)
No limitation on electronics of course. :)
In my experience bookshelves perform better in soundstage depth / width , instrument separation etc within the 2L bracket compared to FS.

No limitation on electronics of course. :)
In my experience bookshelves perform better in soundstage depth / width , instrument separation etc within the 2L bracket compared to FS.
You havent heard the Quad S5 :)
It’ll bet more than a cent that it’ll beat all bookshelfs below 2l for transparency, soundstage and imaging. ;)

You havent heard the Quad S5 :)
It’ll bet more than a cent that it’ll beat all bookshelfs below 2l for transparency, soundstage and imaging. ;)
Sure it can be. I just said in my experience that hasn’t been the case. :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back