Review of Crown XLS 1502 Class D amp

aarmath

This is a brief, real-world review of Crown's XLS 1502 (2-Channel) Class D amplifier.
The very mention of Class D usually tends to evoke a plethora of reactions. Usually - *rolled eyes*. Don't blame you, if you just rolled your eyes.

A quick & brief detour - The shrill fans of Class D back in the 2010s hereabouts were proponents of the Tripath Chip-based amp modules, derisively referred to as "Chip Amps." And usually for a good reason - They sucked.
By & large, enthusiasts created the impression that these chip amps could be substituted for heavy duty amps in the living room.
Cut to 2013 when such a fan came to my place bringing his Chinese Class D chip amp. Long story cut short - I wanted to put my hands around his neck and throttle him softly but surely for molesting my Wharfedale Dentons.
The sound was HORRIBLE!!! Thus, anything Class D, had me avoiding it like the plague (Or Coronavirua).

Until.... Feb 2020. Feb 20th to be precise. I ended up visiting forum member - Tuff aka Uday at his place in Thane. The reason was to pick up a Chromecast Audio I had purchased from him. That's when I saw this Batman-looking Crown XLS 1502 connected to his Magnepan speakers. I heard them via a DAC connected directly to the amp via unbalanced RCAs. And it sounded Good.
Uday then hooked up the CC Audio to his DAC via optical mini TOSLINK cable. I synced up my Spotify playlists & started playing. & It sounded Better.
While travelling back home, I couldnt help but wonder can Class D actually sound this good?

I started researching on Class D. Not the Jeff Rowland, ATI stuff but affordable, quality stuff from the likes of Ghent Audio based on Hypex, ICEPower etc. Fascinating & yet for a beginner the budgets tend to get dear.

That's when I started an active & engaging conversation series with Uday. And he managed to convince me to open my mind towards Class D as a viable alternative. Specifically Crown's XLS DriveCore series 2.
Currently Mumbai is hot & humid, not great for my beloved Yamaha B2. Uday was kind enough to ping me that Crown's prices had been mouth-wateringly reduced.
I decided to bite the tempting bone that Uday was dangling. Thanks to Amazon, I purchased a Crown XLS 1502 @ Rs. 23,000.

I received the amp the very next day. I set it up with my Wharfedale Denton (80th Anniversary) speakers. I connected my Oppo 105D via XLR balanced audio cables in the XLR-ins of the amp.
I switched the amp on. Two clicks later the Crown 1502 chirps happily and comes on in a pleasing lights of Blue.
There is a monochrome LCD screen that enables you to to tweak a plethora of settings including shutting of the indicator lights. And all those features work like a charm.
There are Digital Signal Processing functions in the amp accessible via the screen using control buttons, BUT I am not dwelling on them because my review is about the amp in a stereo environment.

I played a FLAC song on the Oppo. I took a deep breathe with anticipation & I was..... well, Underwhelmed!!!
The audio sounded sterile, tame, uninteresting.
I promptly called Uday, who advised me to connect my preamp (Yamaha C2) tweak the amp's input signal sensitivity from 1.4v to 775mv (High Sensitivity) setting & then listen to the music. I connected the Oppo's unbalanced RCA outs>C2's preamp input>C2 Preout>Crown 1502.

What I heard put a smile on my face :)
Note to myself & to folks who might want to consider credible Class D power amps like a Crown, its PARAMOUNT to have a preamp (Tube, solid take your pick).
& Theres a good reason for that - The 1502 has no audio signature of its own. BUT a good, decent preamp (Even a DIY from Aniket) will markedly improve the audio sonics in the 1502.

The 1502 has front gain controls. Rememeber this is NOT a conventional Class AB linear amplifier. Ergo, it makes no sense to dial up the gain controls for each of the channels to the max. Because this is a switching amplifier, which means max. Gain setting could generate speaker hiss on unbalanced RCA ins in the 1502. BUT depending on the speaker efficiency the hiss will be virtually undetectable or very muted.
BUT.... A complete balanced XLR connectivity between the audio source & the 1502 yields absolute silence. No noise floor whatsoever in the audio domain. Inky blank.
BUT then again, my Yamaha C2 preamp only has unbalanced RCA outs. And it makes the Crown 1502 amp sound absolutely "sweet", "musical", & "sparkling."
The reason I put them in quotes because individual preferences may vary.I

I connected the CC Audio to the C2 preamp & I was stunned listening to what I heard. Like, OMG!!!
Let me sum it up - The Crown XLS 1502's audio performance is not that far from say, even my Yamaha B2 & Yamaha A-S2100. Let that sink in - A Rs. 23,000/- worth Class D amp (that is euphemistically considered a Public Announcement amp system) is exuding performance that is not far away from credible Hi-Fi systems that have price stickers that are atleast 4X of the Crown XLS 1502.

AND.... The fact that you DO NOT have to worry about ANY HEAT ISSUES whatsoever!
The Yamaha B2 runs hot all the time & Mumbai's oppressive weather doesnt help. Neither does the electricity bill :)
But the audio is sublime. I am NOT going to say that the Crown XLS 1502 comes close to the B2's performance. But neither is the Crown's performance far from the Yamaha B2 or the A-S2100.

One thing you have to remember that the Crown XLS 1502 converts the analogue signal from the source (In this instance the Yamaha C2 preamp) into the digital domain at 48 Khz; Is then chopped into the switching frequency; & then reconverted back to analogue using a passive filter and into the speakers.
NOW this is where things become weird - If you are going to play High Definition audio content that's more than 48 Khz - For example I was playing Temple of The Dog's - Say Hello To Heaven that is a High Definition PCM audio file that's 24-bit/192 Khz on the Oppo 105D - And the audio sounded super weird. It was like as if the audio has subtlety gone haywire in the time domain. And it is detectable.
Especially when the same song in the conventional FLAC or MP3 format sounds absolutely fine on the Crown.
This is a caveat of the Crown XLS 1502 - It digitizes the incoming analog audio signal (Analog to Digital) & then does the switching magic & converts the digitized switching signal back to analog (Digital to Analog). It's not bad. It may not be good either (Especially if you run High Definition Audio Content sampled beyond 48 Khz).

BUT what matters is the Crown XLS 1502's power output.
And for a so-called PA system amp & the price point that it sells for, the Crown XLS 1502 is truly bang for the back.
I would dare say this amp is the perfect beginner amp for a stereophile.
Back in 2011, I ended up paying dearly for a shitty Class AB amp from Advance Acoustic, whose performance was wholly inadequate even for the price that I paid. I learnt two things - Never trust cranky old men running boutique audio setups & DO NOT ever trust brandless Speakers that said boutique owners will try to saddle you with.
These horrible sounding speakers are usually made by some local bozo entity whose owner thinks he's the next Andrew Jones or Peter Comeau of India. Assuredly he is NOT.
And if anyone tells you that there are "Amazing" DIY speaker builders in India, please do your due dilligence.

All in all - For Rs. 23,000/- the Crown XLS 1502 amp is NOT a High-end Class D amp (that would potentially cost you in excess of Rs. 75,000+) BUT it delivers absolute bang-for-the-buck in a stereo environment. Running cool like a cucumber. With barely 10 watts draw from the main lines at rest.

Bang-For-The-Buck. That's the key phrase for the Crown XLS 1502 (DriveCore 2 Series).

Thanks Tuff for all the support & for lending a patient ear to my all my queries.

P.S. - I dont have any empirical & conclusive data on this amp supporting this weird belief that said amp will become more "musical" after 100 hours of use.
It sounded musical, right out of the box.

Thanks for the detailed thoughts on the VFM amp. The built in DSP is a very useful offering that Crown has. But the sampling rate issue was something I've not heard in other forums.

If only Crown made a 3 channel amp, many HT owners would've chosen that for LCR channels over other brands.

After getting XLS2502 back in early 2019 for Subwoofer duties, I was tempted to get another one. But was always apprehensive about full range playback from it of HiRes content. Not to mention the temptation to DSP correct the stereo output (band pass it) to better suite the drivers' frequency response. Your review reassured me of my choice, better keep it for usage where stupendous and cheap power is needed.

This is a brief, real-world review of Crown's XLS 1502 (2-Channel) Class D amplifier.
The very mention of Class D usually tends to evoke a plethora of reactions. Usually - *rolled eyes*. Don't blame you, if you just rolled your eyes.

A quick & brief detour - The shrill fans of Class D back in the 2010s hereabouts were proponents of the Tripath Chip-based amp modules, derisively referred to as "Chip Amps." And usually for a good reason - They sucked.
By & large, enthusiasts created the impression that these chip amps could be substituted for heavy duty amps in the living room.
Cut to 2013 when such a fan came to my place bringing his Chinese Class D chip amp. Long story cut short - I wanted to put my hands around his neck and throttle him softly but surely for molesting my Wharfedale Dentons.
The sound was HORRIBLE!!! Thus, anything Class D, had me avoiding it like the plague (Or Coronavirua).

Until.... Feb 2020. Feb 20th to be precise. I ended up visiting forum member - Tuff aka Uday at his place in Thane. The reason was to pick up a Chromecast Audio I had purchased from him. That's when I saw this Batman-looking Crown XLS 1502 connected to his Magnepan speakers. I heard them via a DAC connected directly to the amp via unbalanced RCAs. And it sounded Good.
Uday then hooked up the CC Audio to his DAC via optical mini TOSLINK cable. I synced up my Spotify playlists & started playing. & It sounded Better.
While travelling back home, I couldnt help but wonder can Class D actually sound this good?

I started researching on Class D. Not the Jeff Rowland, ATI stuff but affordable, quality stuff from the likes of Ghent Audio based on Hypex, ICEPower etc. Fascinating & yet for a beginner the budgets tend to get dear.

That's when I started an active & engaging conversation series with Uday. And he managed to convince me to open my mind towards Class D as a viable alternative. Specifically Crown's XLS DriveCore series 2.
Currently Mumbai is hot & humid, not great for my beloved Yamaha B2. Uday was kind enough to ping me that Crown's prices had been mouth-wateringly reduced.
I decided to bite the tempting bone that Uday was dangling. Thanks to Amazon, I purchased a Crown XLS 1502 @ Rs. 23,000.

I received the amp the very next day. I set it up with my Wharfedale Denton (80th Anniversary) speakers. I connected my Oppo 105D via XLR balanced audio cables in the XLR-ins of the amp.
I switched the amp on. Two clicks later the Crown 1502 chirps happily and comes on in a pleasing lights of Blue.
There is a monochrome LCD screen that enables you to to tweak a plethora of settings including shutting of the indicator lights. And all those features work like a charm.
There are Digital Signal Processing functions in the amp accessible via the screen using control buttons, BUT I am not dwelling on them because my review is about the amp in a stereo environment.

I played a FLAC song on the Oppo. I took a deep breathe with anticipation & I was..... well, Underwhelmed!!!
The audio sounded sterile, tame, uninteresting.
I promptly called Uday, who advised me to connect my preamp (Yamaha C2) tweak the amp's input signal sensitivity from 1.4v to 775mv (High Sensitivity) setting & then listen to the music. I connected the Oppo's unbalanced RCA outs>C2's preamp input>C2 Preout>Crown 1502.

What I heard put a smile on my face :)
Note to myself & to folks who might want to consider credible Class D power amps like a Crown, its PARAMOUNT to have a preamp (Tube, solid take your pick).
& Theres a good reason for that - The 1502 has no audio signature of its own. BUT a good, decent preamp (Even a DIY from Aniket) will markedly improve the audio sonics in the 1502.

The 1502 has front gain controls. Rememeber this is NOT a conventional Class AB linear amplifier. Ergo, it makes no sense to dial up the gain controls for each of the channels to the max. Because this is a switching amplifier, which means max. Gain setting could generate speaker hiss on unbalanced RCA ins in the 1502. BUT depending on the speaker efficiency the hiss will be virtually undetectable or very muted.
BUT.... A complete balanced XLR connectivity between the audio source & the 1502 yields absolute silence. No noise floor whatsoever in the audio domain. Inky blank.
BUT then again, my Yamaha C2 preamp only has unbalanced RCA outs. And it makes the Crown 1502 amp sound absolutely "sweet", "musical", & "sparkling."
The reason I put them in quotes because individual preferences may vary.I

I connected the CC Audio to the C2 preamp & I was stunned listening to what I heard. Like, OMG!!!
Let me sum it up - The Crown XLS 1502's audio performance is not that far from say, even my Yamaha B2 & Yamaha A-S2100. Let that sink in - A Rs. 23,000/- worth Class D amp (that is euphemistically considered a Public Announcement amp system) is exuding performance that is not far away from credible Hi-Fi systems that have price stickers that are atleast 4X of the Crown XLS 1502.

AND.... The fact that you DO NOT have to worry about ANY HEAT ISSUES whatsoever!
The Yamaha B2 runs hot all the time & Mumbai's oppressive weather doesnt help. Neither does the electricity bill :)
But the audio is sublime. I am NOT going to say that the Crown XLS 1502 comes close to the B2's performance. But neither is the Crown's performance far from the Yamaha B2 or the A-S2100.

One thing you have to remember that the Crown XLS 1502 converts the analogue signal from the source (In this instance the Yamaha C2 preamp) into the digital domain at 48 Khz; Is then chopped into the switching frequency; & then reconverted back to analogue using a passive filter and into the speakers.
NOW this is where things become weird - If you are going to play High Definition audio content that's more than 48 Khz - For example I was playing Temple of The Dog's - Say Hello To Heaven that is a High Definition PCM audio file that's 24-bit/192 Khz on the Oppo 105D - And the audio sounded super weird. It was like as if the audio has subtlety gone haywire in the time domain. And it is detectable.
Especially when the same song in the conventional FLAC or MP3 format sounds absolutely fine on the Crown.
This is a caveat of the Crown XLS 1502 - It digitizes the incoming analog audio signal (Analog to Digital) & then does the switching magic & converts the digitized switching signal back to analog (Digital to Analog). It's not bad. It may not be good either (Especially if you run High Definition Audio Content sampled beyond 48 Khz).

BUT what matters is the Crown XLS 1502's power output.
And for a so-called PA system amp & the price point that it sells for, the Crown XLS 1502 is truly bang for the back.
I would dare say this amp is the perfect beginner amp for a stereophile.
Back in 2011, I ended up paying dearly for a shitty Class AB amp from Advance Acoustic, whose performance was wholly inadequate even for the price that I paid. I learnt two things - Never trust cranky old men running boutique audio setups & DO NOT ever trust brandless Speakers that said boutique owners will try to saddle you with.
These horrible sounding speakers are usually made by some local bozo entity whose owner thinks he's the next Andrew Jones or Peter Comeau of India. Assuredly he is NOT.
And if anyone tells you that there are "Amazing" DIY speaker builders in India, please do your due dilligence.

All in all - For Rs. 23,000/- the Crown XLS 1502 amp is NOT a High-end Class D amp (that would potentially cost you in excess of Rs. 75,000+) BUT it delivers absolute bang-for-the-buck in a stereo environment. Running cool like a cucumber. With barely 10 watts draw from the main lines at rest.

Bang-For-The-Buck. That's the key phrase for the Crown XLS 1502 (DriveCore 2 Series).

Thanks Tuff for all the support & for lending a patient ear to my all my queries.

P.S. - I dont have any empirical & conclusive data on this amp supporting this weird belief that said amp will become more "musical" after 100 hours of use.
It sounded musical, right out of the box.
I got myself a Crown 1502 last month and i hated what i heard. There is no body in the mid range any longer and they made all my speakers sound like cheap supermarket ones! Sound is truly subjective! However, I'll give your method a try and lower amp's input signal sensitivity from 1.4v to 775mv setting to see of it helps regain the body of the sound. Thanks for the detailed insight!

Last edited:
I got myself a Crown 1502 last month and i hated what i heard. There is no body in the mid range any longer and they made all my speakers sound like cheap supermarket ones! Sound is truly subjective!
Audio/Sound is truly subjective. So are negative claims. So are one's ears as well.

I got myself a Crown 1502 last month and i hated what i heard. There is no body in the mid range any longer and they made all my speakers sound like cheap supermarket ones! Sound is truly subjective! However, I'll give your method a try and lower amp's input signal sensitivity from 1.4v to 775mv setting to see of it helps regain the body of the sound. Thanks for the detailed insight!
Are you planning to sell it?
Count me in...

@aarmath very good review ; I played dsd from Cxn v2 as digital preamp and streamer, also with AP preamp but never felt the discordance due to high bitrate files. What did you experience exactly?
The VFM appeal of crown XLS series overshadows its many drawbacks, it works great for HT.

Are you planning to sell it?
Count me in...

@aarmath very good review ; I played dsd from Cxn v2 as digital preamp and streamer, also with AP preamp but never felt the discordance due to high bitrate files. What did you experience exactly?
The VFM appeal of crown XLS series overshadows its many drawbacks, it works great for HT.
Hello Dr. Krack! I was inspired by your detailed review of the Crown 2502 as well.
As far as DSD is concerned, the amp performs admirably.
This anomaly I noticed in 24-bit/192 Khz files. I will try procuring more and revisit this phenomenon.
Overall, it's an amazing VFM through and through. :)

There is another convert...:p. I think for the price to performance, once cannot beat it. Also as suggested, the pre amplifier is the key to get the right sound. Congratulations.

There is a funny anecdote I forgot to mention - When the Crown XLS 1502 arrived thanks to Amazon Prime delivery, I carried it, effortlessly climbing 13 floors.
Exactly a year ago, because of lift maintenance, I had to cajole two of my building maintenance workers to lug the Yamaha B2 power amp climbing all the way to 13th floor. It was a long climb.

The wonders of technology....

My 2 cents would be that if anyone is wishing to go for a Crown, they should just get the 1502.. At 23K it is still some value..

The 2502 at 33-34K doesn't make any sense..

Especially when a good A/B Amp like Swara Poweramp (dual Mono 80wpc) can be had for 33K or the Basx-300 for 44K.

My 2 cents would be that if anyone is wishing to go for a Crown, they should just get the 1502.. At 23K it is still some value..

Especially when a good A/B Amp like Swara Poweramp (dual Mono 80wpc) can be had for 33K or the Basx-300 for 44K.
Prima facie, for home audio I absolutely agree with you on the price/value of 1502 vis-a-vis home use. Also, strangely, the price of 1502 is slowly sliding towards 22.5 K in the past 2 weeks, but barely a budge in the price of the 2502.
I think the dealers out here have figured that 2502 is the sweet spot of preference for commercial establishments & DJ setups. Those folks rarely quibble on prices if they have an urgent demand & never compromise on power watts.
Or maybe the SKUs on 2502 are way lesser than that of 1502.

I have a question regarding this and hoping you or FM Tuff can kindly clarify. is there a difference between leaving input sensitivity at 1.4v and turning up the gain knobs on front vs 775mv with gain knobs lowered to match the sound level?

2502 is useful if it is to power subwoofer like I'm doing.

After returning two 2502 to amazon I'm finally satisfied with the 3rd one bought from different seller.

I'm using only one channel for 12" Morel Ultimo SVC 2ohm subwoofer which I was using in car.

@DB1989 count me in too when you plan to sell 1502

Price of 2502 is always exaggerated on Amazon.
Mintoo Electronics in Bhagirath Palace, Delhi is authorized dealer of Crown and JBL amps. They retail it for 28300/-. Anyone looking for one can give them a call.

I have a question regarding this and hoping you or FM Tuff can kindly clarify. is there a difference between leaving input sensitivity at 1.4v and turning up the gain knobs on front vs 775mv with gain knobs lowered to match the sound level?
If it's XLR input keep it at 1.4v
For RCA inputs keep it at 775mv.
If you're getting lots of background noise, hiss etc with high gain preamps, you can keep it at 1.4v even with RCA inputs.

That depends on the application, if you have pretty hard to drive speakers like Maggie's, or using for HT, you're better off with Crown. Btw offline price difference is not more than 5k.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back