Review: Panasonic Viera TH-P50X20D

nitinbose

Hi Everyone,

I'd recently purchased this plasma television and thought I could write a review and ownership experience.

I had built my home theater over three years, from the year 2008. I'd purchased a 22" LCD TV in the year 2009 as I was on a shoe-string budged but badly needed a display, as I was planning on having a dedicated room for the home theater.

Right now, I started feeling a craving need for a larger display which eventually ended up in the purchase of this plasma television.

There were several choices from Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp and Panasonic.

LG was out of the question owing to several reports and personal experience of poor after sales support. Because I had finalized on a Plasma display, Panasonic was the next obvious choice.

Thought most of my colleagues/friends pushed me for the LED display, I refrained from it primarily because of the higher costs and because its still a new technology. Plasma is highly recommended in many reviews but with a drawback of shorter life as compared to LCD/LED. However, this would not be applicable for me as this would be just dedicated to the home theater.

The next question was on how many inched and I wanted to buy the largest possible and therefore settled for 50 Inches.

Finally, there was a choice of whether to go for the HD or Full-HD. Though purchasing Full HD would give you some future proofing, I decided to stick to HD as not many content are available in 1080p. Furthermore, I could also save some costs in opting for HD. One point to note when going for HD Plasma/LCD/LED is that the circuitry should be able to handle to 1080p while the panel may handle 1024x768 or 1366x768. This way, you may still connect a 1080p source and let the display to the scaling/conversion.

Please note there are some models with the internal circuit that takes in a signal upto only 1024x768 or 1280x720 - stay away from these!

Furthermore, the savings obtained by opting for a Plasma HD display was used to buy a Blu-ray player and a rack! So have a satisfaction the funds were used well. :)

So... Finally, the choice was the Panasonic Viera TH-P50X20D!

Usage experience:

The 50 inch display is definetely an eye candy, especially when playing HD and full hd content or atleast anything that is around 720p and above. However, if you try to view something that is below 720p, you may be in for some disappointment as scaling to such a large size wont give you a real sharp picture (when compared to HD or full-HD content :) ).

The picture reproduction is excellent and there is no jagging/jitter during fast motion, unless the original content is of a poor quality.

I also realized that you do require a large room for low resolution content and a viewing distance of atleast 10 feet.

Nevertheless, I'm having a wonderful experience! The colors are vibrant, black levels are as good as a CRT, and brightness is also adequate. This Plasma display does come with a SD card slot for viewing images. This is irrelevant to me as I'd purchased a Sony Blu-ray player BDP-370 (review to be given later).

I also liked the build quality.

The integrated audio did not appeal to me much apart from the fact that its a stereo audio system.

Finally, Panasonic does give 3 Year warranty!

More details on this plasma display is available at: VIERA TH-P50X20D | X Series | Digital AV | Panasonic India

The final verdict: The Panasonic Viera TH-P50X20D is an excellent display for both HD/Full-HD/non-HD content with a host of new features. However, my personal suggestion for anybody is to go for not more than 32 inches if the viewing distance is below 10 feet! This is a golden piece of advice I've got to share.

Last edited:
Hi Nitin,

My viewing distance is gonna be 11 feet. I'm looking at 46X20D or 50X20D. Which one wud be more suitable? Also when u c fullHD content do u think it wud have been better on a fullHD tv at 10 feet distance or it wudnt matter. Ive seen the graph of distance vs inches of tv to enjoy fullhd content but i want to know the practical experience.

Also do all the 50X20d models have internal circuitry which handle 1080p or do u have to specially ask for a model which contains this circuitry?

cheers!
vishal.

Hi Nitin,

My viewing distance is gonna be 11 feet. I'm looking at 46X20D or 50X20D. Which one wud be more suitable? Also when u c fullHD content do u think it wud have been better on a fullHD tv at 10 feet distance or it wudnt matter. Ive seen the graph of distance vs inches of tv to enjoy fullhd content but i want to know the practical experience.

Also do all the 50X20d models have internal circuitry which handle 1080p or do u have to specially ask for a model which contains this circuitry?

cheers!
vishal.

Mate, the 50" will suit your requirement perfectly. No need to ask for 1080p circuity separately, all big players such as LG, Panny & samsung offer the same in their Full HD models.

Hi,

You distance is quite okay for a 50 inch TV. The choice of HD of full HD depends now on the content you are going to play and the budget. If you fee you've got a lot of full HD content (1920x1080) and if the budget is not a constraint for you, full HD is the way to go.

You do not have to specifically as for a circuitry that can handle upto 1080p, but it would be worthwhile to check on the models before buying, as there are some models, especially slighter older ones, that can only handle upto 800x600 or thereabout.

My personal suggestion is for the HD model and save some money which you may use for a blu-ray player. I saved this way and purchased a sony BDP-370 player!

I didnt have much of a choice but to go for a fullHD Plasma (LG 50Pk550). Thats because I hook up my gaming PC which has a beefy video card which can handle the most demanding games and massive 1080p files at 1920 x 1080. With computer monitors, you can scale up/down to various resolutions (1440 x 900, 1680 x 1024 etc) No so in a TV. so it's either 1920 x 1080 or zilch. So for computer connectivity FullHD is must, if your Pc supports it of course. Else you'll have to settle for 1024/1365 x 768, which isn't bad for a 32 incher, but inadequate for a 50" set.

Last edited:
congrats nitin for your x20.

i am also planning to buy a plasma and my consideration for (80% DTH + 15% movies + 5% games) are
1. 42" panasonic x10 - 34000
2. 42" panasonic x20 - 36000
3. 42" samsung c450 plasma - around 39000

i have a small query, during ur search did you checked out x10 also. i have searched through this forum and some guys are saying that x20 is a stepdown model of x10. the difference i spotted are:
1. x20 has 4096 equivalent steps of gradation and x10 has 5120 equivalent steps of gradation. i know panasonic high end models have more equivalent steps of gradation.
2. x10 has capability of playing mpeg from sd slot but x20 doesnt have as per specification of thier site(correct me if i am wrong)
3. x10 had surround sound and x20 doesnt have.

please give input on these as i am also planning to buy a plasma very soon. and if you have auditioned samsung c450 plasma also please share ur experience as well.

Guys, I am confused. Please help me out. VIERA TH-P42X20D is available at 37K in PUNE. I was planning on a SAMSUNG LA 40C650. Now this VIERA TH-P42X20D is available at 37K. Why are plasmas priced so low ? Is it worth going for a plasma.

Guys, I am confused. Please help me out. VIERA TH-P42X20D is available at 37K in PUNE. I was planning on a SAMSUNG LA 40C650. Now this VIERA TH-P42X20D is available at 37K. Why are plasmas priced so low ? Is it worth going for a plasma.

Consider P42V20D, if you are looking for expensive plasma TV.

I am not looking for expensive plasma, I want 40" TV, which is FULL HD and plays movies/TATA SKY HD without lag or blurr.

All Panny plasmas comes with 3 Years warranty without any doubt. But you should insist the dealer for the 3 Year warranty card.

Hi Nitin,
Mate, I need your help.
I am living in Australia, planning to migrate to Bangalore in a month.
Since most of my usage will be TV=70% Movies=20% PC=10%.
The Viewing distance will be between 2.5 mts to 4 mts.
I am planning to buy Panasonic 50"X20.

What i want to know is:

How will the normal quality of normal SD chanels in India using this TV?
Do i have to go for smaller TV?
Do i have to go for FULL HD TV?

Thanks.
Tony

Last edited:
The Viewing distance will be between 2.5 mts to 4 mts.
Anything smaller than a 50" at those distances will be rather small. At these distances mentioned by you, specially towards the outside range of the viewing distance, Full HD will not matter much.
I am planning to buy Panasonic 50"X20.

What i want to know is:

How will the normal quality of normal SD chanels in India using this TV?
The quality will be just fine and comparable to, if not better than, any other TV in it's price range.
Do i have to go for smaller TV?
No, do not go in for a smaller TV.
Do i have to go for FULL HD TV?
No, you do not have to go in for a FULL HD TV.

PS: Do keep in mind though, that a FULL HD TV, due to being a higher model and price, will 'usually' be better in other aspects of picture quality too and not neccesarily just in higher resolution. So, although the FULL HD resolution may not matter, the advantages of other improvements in picture quality would still remain.

Last edited:
Thanks Sanjay for your reply.
One more Question,
If the viewing distance is 2.5 mts and input is an SD channel,
Will the pixelation be noticeable for a 50" TV?
Also will the pixelation be more noticeable if i buy 50" FULLHD for 2.5mts,SD channel?

Why i am worried so much I watched Sun TV thru satellite(delayed Transmission) in my friends place on a 52" TV, the pixelation was very noticeable at 2.5mts.
Please correct me if i am wrong.Not sure whether sat signal in Australia is that bad.
Thanks in Advance.

I am planning to buy Panasonic 42X20 soon. But the viewing distance will be a max of 8 feet. I will mostly watch 720P and some times lower resolution DVD Rips on it. Do you think viewing distance is too less for the 42" X20? I always thought it would be ideal but after reading your original post, I am having doubts.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back