Review: Setting up WiFi using Ethernet and using TS App as WiFi Remote

Vishu_fbd

I have been searching the net for a long time to get my hands on a IR Repeater/Transmitter. The reason being I wanted to control my TS HD+ box from the comforts of my bedroom which had a LED monitor as 2nd TV since we do not use the living room to watch TV (read no AC) in this humid weather.

With the new software update along with updated TS Mobile App, I was very excited to see if this resolves my problem.

I had earlier got the ethernet connection from TS executive but it was not being used however as I read that the TS+ HD recommends ethernet cable as the preferred connection I gave it a try instead of ordering a Wifi dongle.

Soon the connection was made between modem and TS box using the ethernet cable and the settings were done within a minute. Next was the installation of TS mobile app on my Nexus 4 and it was a breezy affair too.

The app instantly recognized the wifi connection I had setup on my STB and soon I was able to control the STB using the mobile app from my bedroom. Because of the wall partition the IR remote never worked however the WiFi setup has enabled me to use the 2nd monitor equivalent to my primary TV connection.

Patience helped me really that I did not order the IR repeater/Transmitter from Amazon or Ebay and would like to thank TS to come up with an extremely easy, stable and reliable solution. :yahoo: :clapping:

I am sure others would have also benefited with this update. :eek:hyeah:

Hi There,

I had also connected TS HD+ using ethernet port to my wifi router. There was a power surge in the hathway internet cable touching high tension wire resulting which everything got burnt. First the wifi router got burnt. Then tatasky got burnt through the ethernet cable. Because my tv was connected to TS HD+ using hdmi, tv display board got burnt. A media player was connected to the same hdmi board on TV even that got burnt.

I am still searching for the display board of the TV. Just thought will appraise you of consequences of my bad decision.

Hi There,

I had also connected TS HD+ using ethernet port to my wifi router. There was a power surge in the hathway internet cable touching high tension wire resulting which everything got burnt. First the wifi router got burnt. Then tatasky got burnt through the ethernet cable. Because my tv was connected to TS HD+ using hdmi, tv display board got burnt. A media player was connected to the same hdmi board on TV even that got burnt.

I am still searching for the display board of the TV. Just thought will appraise you of consequences of my bad decision.

Oops sorry to hear about the incident. :sad: I am using Airtel connection and touchwood it has been incident free till date. Arent the broadband cable underground? Ours are.

Not sure if surge protector would have taken care of this.

i have a inverter. all equipment were was off. but even then they got burnt including inverter. even mobile chargers included. the MCB in the panels had tripped but nothing could stop a 66KV line touching or even coming very close to broadband line damaging equipments.

my advice. invest in a wifi module for your TV. minimize risk with anything wired from outside. install ELCB. costs around 1300 per switch near main panel but worth the money. you cannot even check earth voltage it will trip, ELCB is that sensitive.
else you can go all out and take insurance for everything covered :)

Last edited:
i have a inverter. all equipment were was off. but even then they got burnt including inverter. even mobile chargers included. the MCB in the panels had tripped but nothing could stop a 66KV line touching or even coming very close to broadband line damaging equipments.

my advice. invest in a wifi module for your TV. minimize risk with anything wired from outside. install ELCB. costs around 1300 per switch near main panel but worth the money. you cannot even check earth voltage it will trip, ELCB is that sensitive.
else you can go all out and take insurance for everything covered :)

Was it just you or someone else had same damages?

Do I still run a risk even if my broadband line is underground? The junction/wiring box is inside my house for the BB line which itself is separate from power lines.

The idea of ELCB is great. I will try to see what the electrician has to say about it. I have a main line power conditioner installed and then standard MCBs on the power board.

I may switch to dongle once the hype around the wifi and its scam as reported by others is fixed. I have couple of wifi dongles which I will give a try. Fingers crossed;)

many people have thier TVs conked out but majority were CRTs.
i guess the risk is less if the cable is underground. my concern is that voltage surges will spread through the co-axial able even if it has occurred in another home.
MCBs in the part of the home where i had the TV had tripped but surge happend through the hathway cable also. the part of the home where MCBs had not tripped, i lost inverters, chargers, a decorative light placed in the pooja room, a hanging decorative light in the hall which was off..
so i guess, when it is "time for a loss", it just happens!!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back