Reviews about Panny 42X30 plasma

Hi karthi

i already bought dis tv
dint find any reviews online
so i went for it taking risk

Congrats on your purchase. Can I know the price. As a owner, your review/experience will be very very useful for a prospective buyer like me. I hope to see your review soon..

I also posted this in another thread. At the risk of repeatation (and attracting the moderator's wrath), I shall post again.

Two weeks ago, I was on the lookout for a 50" TV - I still am but that is another story. I went to a local shopping festival. Panasonic had a stall in the exhibition. I was primary looking at full-HD or 50V20D to be precise. The 50X30D was placed directly below the 50V20D while the 50U20D was placed alongside the V20. I had a good 30-40 minute preview of all three and my observations were as under:
  • While V20 was beyond comparison, it was very overpriced for my liking.
  • The black level and colour reproduction on X30 was near par to V20; the U20 was much "duller" in that respect.
  • At a distance of 6' or more, the full-HD panel of V20 and HD-ready panel of X30 did not make the slightest difference; you needed to be as close as 3' to notice something.
  • The above was for moving picture; when it came to text (white on black or vice versa), the difference is noticeable even at 10'+. So it needs pure contrast (such as while on black) and absolute sharp objects (viz. alphabets/numbers) to make the difference noticeable.
  • The observations were on a demo blu ray disk playing on a Panasonic BDP.
  • The G14 PDP of X30 compares favourably to the neo PDP of V20
So while I am waiting for the 50U30 (with G14 PDP), if you are inclined, you can go for the X30. I think the 42X30 should be around 38~39K.

Hi,

The price i bought it for was 39k in pany brand shop, hyderabad, after a long bargain.
but i have seen in some thread here that somebody bought it for 38k in hyd inorbit mall....
When it comes to review... am not a very good reviewer but try to give some basic inputs
I took a 42 inch X30 and this is my first plasma
Past i had a samsung 26inch lcd
So the first difference i could make was black levels of plasma
I really felt very much satisfied at this aspect
And full hd or hd ready doesnt matter at all unless we watch a bluray dvd with a bluray player with a hdmi connection
I dont have any of them but a philips home theatre which doesnt have hdmi even...:sad:

even then am very much satisfied with the PQ when i watched a normal 5.1 480i input from a normal dvd...
i watched avatar 720p rip which is really very very good from a 500gb hard disk...:licklips:

The only concern i have is the glaring screen :annoyed:
I had a tube light in my hall which is disturbing my viewing experience... All da time we cannot watch in dark.. right?

Except this glaring screen, i think this tv is a very good deal at dat price.

If u want anything specific u can ask me....:)

Hey Phani,
Nice review, I would suggest try to get a CFL fixed on the same wall where you have your plasma. That would remove the possibility of getting light reflected through plasma screen.

Thanks to all comments/reviews in here! I picked up a P50U30D yesterday from the Rajajinagar Panasonic brandshop for 65K. It was on display directly below a 50V20, and I have to admit that seeing them together makes the V20 really stand out. However, on an absolute scale I found the U30 to be pretty good by itself (after all, how often are we going to be looking at both side-by-side?), and the price difference (1.05L for the V20) clinched it in favour of the U30.
I did consider the X30 for a while, but the lower resolution definitely shows up when text is being displayed. Otherwise the picture quality looks quite good.

The U30/X30 screen is slightly more reflective than the V20, but no more, or perhaps slightly less, than a CRT.

Viewing angle: outstanding. There was a distinct degradation in colour/contrast when watching an LCD from the side, whereas there was no perceptible difference at all on the U30/X30 when seen from the same angle.

Am yet to hook up some good signal to the TV, so may come back with more inputs on that later.

Whats the major difference between 42V20 and 42X30? Is it only the 3D ready feature? Both of them support Full HD. I think majority of features are cosmetic. Am I missing something here? I think I am as the price difference is about 20k.

The V20 is a full-HD (1920x1080), 5mil:1 contrast ratio neo-PDP panel unit.
The U30 is full-HD (1920x1080, 900-line MPR), 2mil:1 contrast ratio G14 panel unit.
The X30 is HD (1024x768), 2mil:1 contrast ratio G14 panel unit.
Apart from that there are a few differences in connectors, Internet etc.
Check out www.panasonic.co.in for all specs.

Whats the major difference between 42V20 and 42X30? Is it only the 3D ready feature? Both of them support Full HD. I think majority of features are cosmetic. Am I missing something here? I think I am as the price difference is about 20k.

The U30 is full-HD (1920x1080, 900-line MPR), 2mil:1 contrast ratio G14 panel unit.
Check out Panasonic for all specs.

srix is correct. But apart from that, there are more differences:

- 42V20D has 1080 moving lines resolution and has "infinite black levels"
- 42U30D has 900 moving lines resolution
- 42X30D has 720 moving lines resolution

Check out Panasonic for all specs.

Specs only say very little.
V20 is atleast 2 notches above the X and U series TVs. It was the best plasma TV of the 2010. Well worth the 20k difference.

Thanks BLASTO.

This is what I wanted to know. The perceivable difference and not the specs difference.
To see perceivable differences, I would recommend having a live side by side demo.

For instance, I could not observe a difference that is worth nearly 50K between 50X30D and 50V20D. Yes there was a difference. Is it worth paying nearly 50k extra? Not in my opinion. I love the Pana V Series for the quality. I would dearly love to own one. But I feel that the 50V20D is highly overpriced (by at least 20k).

But that is solely my opinion. Someone would vehemently disagree.

To see perceivable differences, I would recommend having a live side by side demo.

For instance, I could not observe a difference that is worth nearly 50K between 50X30D and 50V20D. Yes there was a difference. Is it worth paying nearly 50k extra? Not in my opinion. I love the Pana V Series for the quality. I would dearly love to own one. But I feel that the 50V20D is highly overpriced (by at least 20k).

But that is solely my opinion. Someone would vehemently disagree.

I was talking about the 42" ones (which is the same tarun was talking about). 50" V20 are very very overpriced in india. You are absolutely correct, the difference is not worth 50k.

The difference in 42" is ~20k which is worth. If you were looking for a 42" TV, Iam sure you would have gone for the V20.

Last edited:
Sir
Will I go for 42X30D?
don't lose heart, life may seem uncertain at times. i suggest you wait and let things sort themselves out. the answer will be very clear in the future...
jokes aside, its a very good tv, and if you aren't a huge videophile, and are mainly going to watch duh, dads and a few blu rays, its going to suffice...

I bought the x30d yesterday for 35000 in Bangalore. Its aN EXCELLENT TV. I had checked samsung 43d450 and 43d490. I still preferred the PQ of panasonic even though the samsung looked BETTER. My advise would go for the TV and plus you will get 3 years warranty on the panel which directly relates to peace of mind as I have stories of samsumg units developing lines after first year and to replace the panel it would cost 30000-50000 depending on the size. In this case panasonic will do it free for u. No other manufacturer gives 3 year warranty on the panel. Hope this was helpfull. I am very happy with my purchase but have not yet taken the delivery as I will be out of town for 20 days. They will install when I come back.

I bought this Plasma arround 20 days back....got it for 31500 in kolhapur with both table and wall mount stand with it and 3 yrs warranty...company person came with me, installed it, familiarized with every function..gave me details of everything, whom to contact in case of any problem...I compared this with Samsung 43 inch plasma and LG 42 inch plasma...I found this one superior.I must say this is real good plasma for entry level...i enjoy watching sports and music especially on this tv..quality of picture, depth of colors..sharpness..everything is amazing

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back