Reviving a Titanium (Apple) Powerbook for music

Divakar7

Hi folks,

I have a old Apple laptop from 2001 that doesn't power-on. When it last worked there were many dead pixels. The specs are below.

I would like your advice on whether it is worthwhile spending money to get this machine up and running to be used for playing all my music files that were recorded at 24 bits and 48khz+?

If someone can recommend anyone in Hyderabad who can fix old Macs, I would be very grateful.

Processor: 550 MHz or 667 MHz PowerPC G4 with 256 KB backside L2 cache
Memory: 256 MB (two 128 MB) of PC133 SDRAM
Harddisk: 30 GB Ultra ATA/66
2x DVD-ROM
Connections: 2 x USB 1.1; 1 x FireWire 400; 1/8" audio output; 10/100 Fast Ethernet

Thanks much.

divakar

Hi Divakar,

Interesting!! I too have a similiar Mac Powerbook from 2003 (667 MHz PPC G4 with 640MB RAM and 40 GB HDD). It still works and I use it for general internet browsing and viewing pictures (you still cannot beat a Mac for the quality of graphics).

A couple of years ago, I had gone to the Apple store in Gurgaon (I was based in Gurgaon at that point of time) for their help to upgrade the OS to a later version. At that time I had found the staff to be reasonably knowledgable on the older Macs. Ultimately, I did not use their service, and ended up changing the OS to Ubuntu on my own. I am running on Ubuntu now.

Not sure if you have already done this; I would recommend making a visit to an authorized Mac showroom to have them atleast evaluate the Mac, and any chances of revival.

Regards,
Anand.

Hi Divakar

Try Conquer Technologies. 510, 5th floor,. Aditya Trade Center,. Ameerpet. Hyderabad - 500038. Phone, : +91 40 6683 4545

They are authorised dealers for macs now.

Also try Ajit @Compuserve 305, 3rd Floor, Surya Kiran, S D Road, Secunderabad - 500003 Telephone: 2781-7974, 98490-49377

Cheers. Raghuram

Apk and Raghu, thanks much. I will try the contacts you provided and see what it would mean to revive this baby.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back