Ripping DVDs using DVDFab - VOB etc. question

Staxxx

Hello
I hope this is placed in the right forum.
I have just begun to rip some of my DVDs to load onto my TVix media server.
I am using the software that came with my laptop (Windows 7) called DVDFab.
It ripped using the freeware component (HD decrypter) and I was left with a bunch of VOB files and supporting IFO and BUP files.
I can play these files perfectly through my Windows Media Player, but not sure if it will work with my Media Server (TVix). I will try it this evening.
However, can someone recommend a ripper that will make the folder files in a simpler format (not sure if it is possible) while retaining the DVD format and usage.
If it a freeware that is downloadable, please post the link, otherwise I am happy to purchase somewhere in Bangalore.
Thanks for your help!

dvd is in vob format only. you can convert it to avi or mkv using appropriate softwares. quite a few free ones are available. search doom9.org, download.com etc. you can try handbrake, virtualdub, pazera etc.

There are plenty of good ripping software available some are mkvtoolknix, handbrake, DVDFab etc.

If you want to retain all the menus as in DVD, just convert the DVD into .iso image. Most of the media players (invluding tivx) support .iso, and you will get the same experience like DVD. But it will occupy the same size of the DVD (like 4.7GB or 9GB). If you are not particular about the menus and extra features of DVD, just rip it into mkv (along with chapter and subtitle) and each movies can be converted into single file. Depending the compression chosen, you may even save some space. But personally I will recommend to convert without compression.

There are plenty of good ripping software available some are mkvtoolknix, handbrake, DVDFab etc.

If you want to retain all the menus as in DVD, just convert the DVD into .iso image. Most of the media players (invluding tivx) support .iso, and you will get the same experience like DVD. But it will occupy the same size of the DVD (like 4.7GB or 9GB). If you are not particular about the menus and extra features of DVD, just rip it into mkv (along with chapter and subtitle) and each movies can be converted into single file. Depending the compression chosen, you may even save some space. But personally I will recommend to convert without compression.

+1
I too find MakeMKV the best way to rip DVDs and Bluray into a single file.
No waste of time and we can see all audio & video codec info easily.
Later, we can compress the size using 'handbrake' software.

I vote for makeMKV. I have been using it for 2 years now to rip all my DVDs to USB HDD. I use my OPlay Air to play those files. makeMKV can embed subtitles as well, if you are wondering. No problem with DTS/DD audio track. Excellent tool.

- Rajiv

Also check out RipBot. I've used it to convert Blu-rays and DVDs into MKV and personally I've found the quality to be the best. HandBrake is also good but I find its interface confusing... RipBot is easier to use.

I use AnyDVDHD from slysoft , the best tool in the market for blu ray and DVD. But mainly i use it for bluray and till now after 100s of rips I never had any issue with a single bluray. I rip the entire bluray in folder structure and then use clown BD to remove extra sound tracks and trailers. I retain untouched 1080p video and HD audio and use Popcorn hour to play it back...I never a fan of compressing the audio/video, with storage becoming cheap I prefer to have the whole HD experience.

+1 to MKV/ISO suggestion. I do the same. There are n number of freebies that do it elegantly. Headache free solution.

I have also started using StaxRip the last few days... its GUI is more complex and takes some understanding, but per online reviews its the best. Going to rip a few movies and test it for myself.

Thanks all. Wish I could just buy a whole drive full of movies ripped already and I would be set for a while :))
Of course, then I would be left with all my classical music DVDs and collection of wierd but wonderful foreign films on DVD to rip myself too, so will try some of the programs mentioned above.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back