Roku streaming in india

Tracer29

Hi,

I have been fiddling for the past few weeks to be able to stream roku using ddwrt config for my cisco router along with a VPN connection and its been a week on pilot and i had been able to stream netflix and hulu plus like a charm with some initial bandwidth issues.Had my broadband upgraded to 4 mbps plan from 2 mbps and successfully watched a movie without any glitches.
Setup and pictures to follow shortly.Anybody else in the forum streaming media?

Yaa, VPN is most straightforward option.

Wihtout VPN (and USA IP address) most of streaming like Youtube rentals/ Amazon/ Netflix do not work.

A slight tweak is to buy a router specifically for TV/Media player. This way it would not affect rest of home network. Otherwise, US IP would sloe down things because sites will pick up a US CDN instead of India CDN.

i was interested in setting up the same but due to time limitations have dropped the idea for now.But it would be great if you can share the details of how exactly you have set it up as it will help other users.

Easiest way:

1. Purchase VPN service ($5 per month onwards)
2. Purchase router with VPN support (3k)
3. Enter VPN details (provided by VPN Service) in router
4. Connect media player / TV / Laptop to router via WiFi or LAN

After this, Youtube/ Amazon / Roku will think that you are in US and will not block video content.

Easiest way:

1. Purchase VPN service ($5 per month onwards)
2. Purchase router with VPN support (3k)
3. Enter VPN details (provided by VPN Service) in router
4. Connect media player / TV / Laptop to router via WiFi or LAN

After this, Youtube/ Amazon / Roku will think that you are in US and will not block video content.

This VPN service we have to is from US or from India?
Thanks.

Also the cost for the same as see there are some that charge 5$ and some charging 10$ per month.

Does Airport Extreme Support VPN? If not then which would be a good router to use it for Streaming Netflix in Bombay. Thanks

Sameer

Thank you very much, let me try this first. Currently I don't have a streaming media player but i have US PS3 which has Netflix streaming...I will ping you once i purchase the VPN...thanks again :)

Hi, Need one urgent information. Before i purchase the VPN account i wanted to check if I can configure VPN directly in my modem cum router. I am having Cisco Wireless-N Home ADSL2+ Modem Router and the model no is WAG120N. I wanted to stream media directly to my PS3 and in future medial player without keeping the laptop on, will i able to do this? thanks a lot in advance.

I checked in the FAQ section,

3. Does WAG120N allow VPN protocols (IPSec, L2TP, or PPTP) to pass-through the router?
Yes.

I guess i should be able to configure my modem then. Between I have BSNL connection and i get 2 Mbps , is this connection good enough for streaming? Thanks again

That depends on many factors. I would suggest that your try this on your laptop first. If it works on Laptop then you can try setting it up on your router.

I did the setup in my office laptop (XP), works like a charm....i did not try netflix but was able to stream planet earth free preview in amazon.com....please let me know how i can set this up in my router/modem, will try with PS3....

Hi, Tried Hulu over the weekend and streamed "The Windtalkers" without any problem in my laptop....I searched in Google on setting up my Routers without any luck....can you please help..I purchased HideVPN for a month @ $5.99.....

It seems that this router just supports VPN passthorugh. You would need a router that support VPN.

You can buy another router that supports VPN (should cost 1 - 2k) and use it along with exiting router.

Devices that need India IP can connect to existing router and devices that need US address would connect to the router that supports VPN.

Wonderful, will do that....thanks a bunch. Its a great idea , this way i don't have to connect my laptop to the VPN since it's office issued....will go and shop for router today, if u know any good one please let me know....

Back