Room dimension and acoustics question for HT

square_wave

One of my cousins is making this home theatre room. I saw the dimensions and got worried ! It is 10 x 21 ft. I know this is a recipe for disaster. He said that he has done some R&D and trying to offset the issue by dampening the room quite a bit. So the walls are all rockwool .. 4 or 6 inches deep with plywood outer covering. The plywood has some holes and on top of all this he is sticking a half inch carpet. I know this is good for sound proofing. But will this work for acoustics ( sound absorption / diffusion ) inside the room ?

The ceiling are all typical acoustic tiles with holes and glass wool packed inside. The floor will be wall to wall carpeting 1/2 inch thick.

Any of you guys has worked with long rooms like this ? Any inputs ?

Not much experience with room acoustics, very recently completed it for my HT in the living room..

One of my cousins is making this home theatre room. I saw the dimensions and got worried ! It is 10 x 21 ft. I know this is a recipe for disaster.

If it is a dedicated room, and by using two subs along the room length, he can manage to reduce the room resonance fairly upto 80/90 Hz (Speaker to sub crossover point).. Treatment would call above the subwoofer range..

One of my cousins is making this home theatre room. I saw the dimensions and got worried ! It is 10 x 21 ft. I know this is a recipe for disaster. He said that he has done some R&D and trying to offset the issue by dampening the room quite a bit. So the walls are all rockwool .. 4 or 6 inches deep with plywood outer covering. The plywood has some holes and on top of all this he is sticking a half inch carpet. I know this is good for sound proofing. But will this work for acoustics ( sound absorption / diffusion ) inside the room ?

Not very sure, if fixing carpet to walls would be good, as it may eat away the hi-freq.. I think better would be to cover the rockwool wall with bare plywood (with holes)..

Once he makes the drywall with enough rock wool filled .. there is not much required for soundproofing. If he wants he can add custom coloured panels on sides and back based on mirror trick. And a diffuser in the back wall. The more carpet he uses .. the more room shall smell esp in rainy season and shall become unlively.

Are there resources on the net that takes you step by step through a diy home theater acoustics build? A good one!

Some pics

Attachments

• IMG_20191126_100308-1248x1664.jpg
    IMG_20191126_100308-1248x1664.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20191126_100327-1248x1664.jpg
    IMG_20191126_100327-1248x1664.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 50
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back