ROON ARC

ssf

ROON update version 2.0 now has something they call ROON ARC.

With this, one can get access to the ROON server on their mobile either while on the same network or on any other network outside the home too. Have a lot of FLAC files on the hard disk, great way to access them on the move. Did not work for me though. Some issue with multiple NATs. I don't have much use for it, so did not bother to set it right.

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/arc-port-forwarding

Last edited:
i have been on the roon 2.0 tester program, and yes ARC wont work with multiple NATs , you need a static IP from your ISP for it to work flawlessly, i had this issue and requested ACT for a static IP and they assigned me for 200bucks a month

Best free setup on laptop will be Foobar2000, you can do DLNA remote app available on mobile for PC control. Plex if you have shared library.

i have been on the roon 2.0 tester program, and yes ARC wont work with multiple NATs , you need a static IP from your ISP for it to work flawlessly, i had this issue and requested ACT for a static IP and they assigned me for 200bucks a month
ARC is a great feature on Roon, sadly I am unable to use it as Jio fiber does not give static IP s to users on my ( 100mbps) plan.I believe on the business plan, its possible. Thankfully I don't travel and it hasn't affected me.

Thanks for info...
However 200 INR is lot as reoccurring expense besides Roon monthly membership :)
Not really worth it, IMHO. It's best to just use the Tidal/Qobuz App for use when we're away from the Roon Core. (Or keep an Apple Music/Spotify subscription).

That won't help with any rare/esoteric/bootleg offline music that we may have stored, but it'll cover virtually most of what we need.

Agree on Piexamp but it requires PC or Mac. My plan to install Roon on the streamer
So does roon, if I am not mistaken you cannot use it with the core being switched off. How does one install roon on the streamer?

Yes, Plex media server creates a local network, and Roon also requires the core to be running on a PC/Mac or NUC to play your songs. I have access to my friend's NAS drive and I can stream his songs ( around 52k songs, mostly FLAC) using plexamp. Roon ARC is a step towards this path.

So does roon, if I am not mistaken you cannot use it with the core being switched off. How does one install roon on the streamer?
There are few Streamer which called as Roon ready, one can install roon on those
My point on Plex was on the similar line where I can't install plex on my Audio Streamer hence require PC, Mac or hardware that can allow plex to install

There are few Streamer which called as Roon ready, one can install roon on those
My point on Plex was on the similar line where I can't install plex on my Audio Streamer hence require PC, Mac or hardware that can allow plex to install
One cannot install roon on a roon ready device, it needs to be done on a core(pc/mac/nuc). Another way is by getting something like a silent angel Rhein which can function as a streamer/core minus an inbuilt dac thus eliminating the need for a pc/mac.

ROON Ready simply means that a streamer will work as a ROON endpoint and stream (offline music/Tidal/Qobuz/KkBox) from a ROON Core.

The ROON Server is to be installed on a computer (or Qnap/Synology NAS). There's also a ROON ROCK, which is a dedicated NUC solution. There are a few ready made solutions for the Roon Core like the Roon Nucleus, the Silent Angel Rhein Z1, etc etc. But those are expensive solutions.

Basically, you need a Core/Server, for the Endpoint to work. (Some Cores/Servers can be used as endpoints too, but ROON does not recommend that).

Back