• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Roon - Group Buy

QUAD

shankarcams

Hi. There is a 10% discount off the $699 lifetime license price for Roon. Do we have 2 others wishing to join me?

Wish all a Very Happy New Year

renjith lal

Hi. There is a 10% discount off the $699 lifetime license price for Roon. Do we have 2 others wishing to join me?

Wish all a Very Happy New Year
Hmm they increased 200$.
I was planning to get it in December when it was 499$, this is a substantial increase. :mad:

I have never seen this much increase in price for any product in US like this. :mad:
They wanted to discourage people from getting a lifetime subscription and push towards the yearly subscription, as I read on their forum, "it was just a way to feed our hungry business early on" ..

drkrack

They wanted to discourage people from getting a lifetime subscription and push towards the yearly subscription, as I read on their forum, "it was just a way to feed our hungry business early on" ..

Yes, when my yearly subscription was about to expire last Year November, I did read a elaborate research & discussion on Roon Forum, which I can't find now. It says if you are sure of sticking to computer audio for rest of your life ; "get the lifetime subscription, while you still can". They'd eventually stop the lifetime subscription model. Because lifetime Subscription is a very good deal when compared to annual subscription model.
Roon is a niche product, and computer audiophile community is probably one of the rapidly growing communities in otherwise very small audiophile community. If you see most of the American business models they're interested in making you a regular subscriber for rest of your life and you keep paying monthly or yearly to keep the services. Even if you buy a software version you'll be forced to upgrade eventually. Which is same for most of software or even Hardware in the market, With Lifetime subscription, imagine like you are buying MS Office 360 version for lifetime (instead of yearly) with latest version & latest features guaranteed always. But Keeping a software up to date and adding new features for rest of your life is a very big responsibility and its never going to be cheap for any software manufacturer .

Positives
If you look at the competitors which I have used, Jriver (Jr) and Audirvana(An) comes to my mind. With Jr/An You can buy an available version for life, but you need to pay up for the newer versions which is almost yearly or 2 yearly depending upon the upgrade. the only advantage with Jr/An is, your software still works lifetime even if you decide not to upgrade, whereas Roon stops working after annual subscription is over. With lifetime Roon Subscription you get lifetime of upgrades, and Roon is a multi-room solution unlike Jr/An which are limited to single PC mostly. Any Roon device can control (act as remote control) any other device playing via Roon. The GUI of Roon is far ahead of competition, so is the user friendliness. The SQ difference wasn't much & I think Audirvana has a very Slight edge over Roon in terms of dynamics. Roon has advantage of ROCK which others lack, and that's the best computer audio solution I can think of. Buying the Roon lifetime subscription makes lot of sense if you are a serious computer audiophile.

Caveats (they're subjective & mostly ifs/buts)
First of all Are you sure, that computer is going to be your prime source for playing digital audio for rest of your life ? I wasn't ; I was drifting towards a dedicated streamer , with my affinity to hardware remote instead of firing up the mobile App(I found it annoying), every time for even briefly pausing the music; this was a deciding factor. Albeit,There are some tedious workarounds to use a Universal remote AFAIK.

What if Some bigger company buys Roon and they end up sticking you with some clause in the fine print ? its a lifetime, anything can happen.

What if the whole scenario of digital music consumption changes drastically? well, quite possibly ; we are moving towards the streaming models currently, and what if more affordable streamers with less noisy mode of connection like i2s instead of USB becomes the standard? or a totally different file format tied to specific hardware becomes a standard? again quite possible.. I preferred CXN V2 directly playing Tidal via its mobile app over Roon PC playing Tidal connected via USB to CXN V2.

Roon doesn't support Spotify or Gaana or Apple Music natively as it supports Tidal.

ROCK is the best option to get the best out of Roon, but it renders the high end PC useless for any other activities (like playing video for movie buffs), including the inability to use any other Non compatible digital correction software like Dirac.

At 55k (plus another 50k for decent hardware) only for software is quite expensive, you could think of getting a dedicated streamer with its own software (and a Resale value later, if you stop listening anytime during your lifetime due to various reasons). Lifetime works as a great deal for Audio Showrooms or Audio reviewers, where the uniformity in playing software across multiple devices is a requirement. (BY THE WAY I am OK with buying Lifetime if we get a good deal ;))
Again YMMV!

Kannan

I seriously wonder if it is worth that much money when there are so many other options.

kapvin

I seriously wonder if it is worth that much money when there are so many other options.
what is a good alternative? I need something for an office system I am planning.

was therefore curious as to how a group buy will work.

manniraj

@Kannan please do share alternatives. I am genuinely interested as I don’t want to spend on another Roon license
I have not see any other player so far which is as good as Roon in terms of the album organization and searching the tracks :)
I think the USP of Roon is its ability to keep the data (music content) as clean and crisp with better understanding of the search capabilities predicting what the user intends to search. I have not see that in any of the other players so far just too good. My very old Foxconn PC which I have put for sale in the year 2016 and did not generate enough interest is now very useful for me as I installed Win10 Pro and running RoonServer and even with Intel Atom 1.8GHz processor with pretty old hardware just with 4GB RAM stick and 120GB SSD is able to hold on to the core processing.

I was worried that Roon labs recommends minimum hardware being i3 processor with 8GB RAM and a SSD, but I think it can work even with lower hardware configuration. I think the 4GB as the bare minimum RAM and definitely at least 64GB SSD is required for its hardcore processing that happens when the library is being manged. By the way when I tried the full Roon on this PC it did not open up at all as I could not get the OpenGL drivers of my Intel chipset being legacy by today's standards.

Kannan

@Kannan please do share alternatives. I am genuinely interested as I don’t want to spend on another Roon license
Though I have not used Roon, it is still hard to justify the pricing. Some that I can think of include Plex, Daphile, Audirvana (for mac), JRiver, foobar, Music 21 (again Mac), MPD, picoplayer, MoOde, Volumio to name some.

kapvin

Though I have not used Roon, it is still hard to justify the pricing. Some that I can think of include Plex, Daphile, Audirvana (for mac), JRiver, foobar, Music 21 (again Mac), MPD, picoplayer, MoOde, Volumio to name some.
i must try the others that you mentioned. But of the ones I have used

Jriver - I have a multi platform license. I guess it is better value if your only use is a single platform Music PC with a single database, In any other Use case, I see more limitations. I moved from jriver to Roon as it well worth the premium

volumio- I use volumio to my RPis. I basically run a roon bridge on them, but have used the Voluminous interface from time to time. It’s fairly limited and if you take a my volumio subscription then there is not much price difference for far less functionality.

foobar. - you cant argue with free and I still use it more than occasionally. It is a wonderful piece of software. But it’s really not a Substitute for Roon.

@Kannan are you giving examples of a single PC music player? Because of the ones I’ve used, to the best of my knowledge, none of them work like Roon, the closest is jriver with JRemote, but still not As user friendly . perhaps Plex. but it not really optimised for music is it? Could you share your experience on the ones you have used and how you used it? And your experience of sound quality. This would be very useful.

surfatwork

Picoreplayer + Logitech media server works very well in a client server configuration.
You "could" deploy the server and player on the same pc/raspi, but not necessarily.
Very quick with cataloging. Interface is pretty functional. Maybe not as pretty as roon.

surfatwork

I tried moode and volumio, found them super super slow. Mpd by itself is a bit barebones for my liking. Plex needs lot of horsepower. Haven't tried daphile and windows based stuff

manniraj

I tried moode and volumio, found them super super slow. Mpd by itself is a bit barebones for my liking. Plex needs lot of horsepower. Haven't tried daphile and windows based stuff
Daphile is very good for a regular PC, simple and can be run via either a small Pen drive or even a SD card. I think this also works on LMS just like other distros. I have tried it some years back and it was very nice and simple.