• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Roon - Group Buy

HiFiMART.com

shankarcams

Hi. There is a 10% discount off the $699 lifetime license price for Roon. Do we have 2 others wishing to join me?

Wish all a Very Happy New Year

renjith lal

Hi. There is a 10% discount off the $699 lifetime license price for Roon. Do we have 2 others wishing to join me?

Wish all a Very Happy New Year
Hmm they increased 200$.
I was planning to get it in December when it was 499$, this is a substantial increase. :mad:

I have never seen this much increase in price for any product in US like this. :mad:
They wanted to discourage people from getting a lifetime subscription and push towards the yearly subscription, as I read on their forum, "it was just a way to feed our hungry business early on" ..

drkrack

They wanted to discourage people from getting a lifetime subscription and push towards the yearly subscription, as I read on their forum, "it was just a way to feed our hungry business early on" ..

Yes, when my yearly subscription was about to expire last Year November, I did read a elaborate research & discussion on Roon Forum, which I can't find now. It says if you are sure of sticking to computer audio for rest of your life ; "get the lifetime subscription, while you still can". They'd eventually stop the lifetime subscription model. Because lifetime Subscription is a very good deal when compared to annual subscription model.
Roon is a niche product, and computer audiophile community is probably one of the rapidly growing communities in otherwise very small audiophile community. If you see most of the American business models they're interested in making you a regular subscriber for rest of your life and you keep paying monthly or yearly to keep the services. Even if you buy a software version you'll be forced to upgrade eventually. Which is same for most of software or even Hardware in the market, With Lifetime subscription, imagine like you are buying MS Office 360 version for lifetime (instead of yearly) with latest version & latest features guaranteed always. But Keeping a software up to date and adding new features for rest of your life is a very big responsibility and its never going to be cheap for any software manufacturer .

Positives
If you look at the competitors which I have used, Jriver (Jr) and Audirvana(An) comes to my mind. With Jr/An You can buy an available version for life, but you need to pay up for the newer versions which is almost yearly or 2 yearly depending upon the upgrade. the only advantage with Jr/An is, your software still works lifetime even if you decide not to upgrade, whereas Roon stops working after annual subscription is over. With lifetime Roon Subscription you get lifetime of upgrades, and Roon is a multi-room solution unlike Jr/An which are limited to single PC mostly. Any Roon device can control (act as remote control) any other device playing via Roon. The GUI of Roon is far ahead of competition, so is the user friendliness. The SQ difference wasn't much & I think Audirvana has a very Slight edge over Roon in terms of dynamics. Roon has advantage of ROCK which others lack, and that's the best computer audio solution I can think of. Buying the Roon lifetime subscription makes lot of sense if you are a serious computer audiophile.

Caveats (they're subjective & mostly ifs/buts)
First of all Are you sure, that computer is going to be your prime source for playing digital audio for rest of your life ? I wasn't ; I was drifting towards a dedicated streamer , with my affinity to hardware remote instead of firing up the mobile App(I found it annoying), every time for even briefly pausing the music; this was a deciding factor. Albeit,There are some tedious workarounds to use a Universal remote AFAIK.

What if Some bigger company buys Roon and they end up sticking you with some clause in the fine print ? its a lifetime, anything can happen.

What if the whole scenario of digital music consumption changes drastically? well, quite possibly ; we are moving towards the streaming models currently, and what if more affordable streamers with less noisy mode of connection like i2s instead of USB becomes the standard? or a totally different file format tied to specific hardware becomes a standard? again quite possible.. I preferred CXN V2 directly playing Tidal via its mobile app over Roon PC playing Tidal connected via USB to CXN V2.

Roon doesn't support Spotify or Gaana or Apple Music natively as it supports Tidal.

ROCK is the best option to get the best out of Roon, but it renders the high end PC useless for any other activities (like playing video for movie buffs), including the inability to use any other Non compatible digital correction software like Dirac.

At 55k (plus another 50k for decent hardware) only for software is quite expensive, you could think of getting a dedicated streamer with its own software (and a Resale value later, if you stop listening anytime during your lifetime due to various reasons). Lifetime works as a great deal for Audio Showrooms or Audio reviewers, where the uniformity in playing software across multiple devices is a requirement. (BY THE WAY I am OK with buying Lifetime if we get a good deal ;))
Again YMMV!