RPi + HAT or....

Subbu68

My current sources are a CDP, tape deck and a iFi Nano DSD USB DAC all feeding a tube preamp Elekit TU8500. Amp is a pair of ACA in bridged mono OR Elekit TU 8200.

Music is on a Synology NAS..also residing on the HDD of laptop. Also using YT Music.

Earlier I had been using a Mac Mini feeding the DAC. The TV was the screen. That was cumbersome. So many things to switch on and a wireless KB and mouse to store extra.

Then started using a Surface Pro tab instead and now a laptop instead of Mac Mini.

The issue is, there is no remote control for the music i.e, selections, play, pause, volume etc.etc. So a long USB cable connection to the DAC from the PC is a must from the sofa I sit on. Cannot leave that cable there after the sessions - trip hazard.

Sorry for the long rant but had to state the problem and background.

If I made a RPi + HAT DAC or use a RPi with existing DAC can it be controlled with a phone? Or is there any other solution that can be used with mobile phone or a tab? Prefer a DIY. I am not in for a BT receiver at the preamp.

I use Android (Pixel, Nokia 8.3) on Droid 12.

Allo Digione Signature is excellent coax based transport. Nuetral, extremely low noise floor. Supports several mpds like MoOde, Volumio, picoreplayer etc. Control from any browser.
Absolute value for money. Run off RPI4. Add a linear power supply.

Isn't there an app to control your media player that's running on your laptop?
BTW, which media player are you using on your laptop?
Running Windows?

Isn't there an app to control your media player that's running on your laptop?
BTW, which media player are you using on your laptop?
Running Windows?
It's iTunes or Win MP or Foobar I use.. it's a Win 11 laptop
Can any be controlled by a remote device?

Allo Digione Signature is excellent coax based transport. Nuetral, extremely low noise floor. Supports several mpds like MoOde, Volumio, picoreplayer etc. Control from any browser.
Absolute value for money. Run off RPI4. Add a linear power supply.
It's all Greek and Latin for me..need to learn..
Can it be explained how do I implement it?

My current sources are a CDP, tape deck and a iFi Nano DSD USB DAC all feeding a tube preamp Elekit TU8500. Amp is a pair of ACA in bridged mono OR Elekit TU 8200.

Music is on a Synology NAS..also residing on the HDD of laptop. Also using YT Music.
OK
Earlier I had been using a Mac Mini feeding the DAC. The TV was the screen. That was cumbersome. So many things to switch on and a wireless KB and mouse to store extra.
This need not be cumbersome. I too have a mac mini dedicated just for apple music. It is easily controllable in the following ways. First you have to enable 'Screen Sharing' in settings. Once you have done that you use vnc on your laptop to access the mac mini. In case your laptop is macbook then you can simply click on finder --> network --> your mac mini will be shown there. Click on share screen and voila you will get your mac mini desktop on your laptop / macbook. So on macbook you don't need a vnc client. On windows, you just have to install a vnc client. I think tigervnc is a free app on windows IIRC

Here is a screenshot of my linux laptop being accessed on my macbook pro. Using vnc you can access any computer on the network. By access I mean the entire desktop along with full graphics
Untitled.jpg

Then started using a Surface Pro tab instead and now a laptop instead of Mac Mini.

The issue is, there is no remote control for the music i.e, selections, play, pause, volume etc.etc. So a long USB cable connection to the DAC from the PC is a must from the sofa I sit on. Cannot leave that cable there after the sessions - trip hazard.
You can continue to use mac mini and use the remote apps suggested by Keith. I think even apple's own itunes remote will work on windows. So you can install that on your laptop

BTW you can install vnc on surface pro too and access your mac mini.

Sorry for the long rant but had to state the problem and background.

If I made a RPi + HAT DAC or use a RPi with existing DAC can it be controlled with a phone? Or is there any other solution that can be used with mobile phone or a tab? Prefer a DIY. I am not in for a BT receiver at the preamp.

I use Android (Pixel, Nokia 8.3) on Droid 12.
Yes you can have a RPI with any of the distributions that Kannan mentioned and install mpddroid remote on android to control music playback from RPI, MPDctrl on windows, cantata on mac/linux, etc

Last edited:
I am surprised y don't u use jriver media center for music playback. It's the best sounding on PC.

If you can get the latest or any available version of powerdvd, it can be controlled via phone over network. It will show u a 4 digit pin on ur screen to add to the mobile app of powerdvd. Done!

*Note: add all ur Nas library to power dvd library first. Then u can browse via phone

Wow... This is the forum to be on.. so many options to explore these before swiping the card 😃

@Kannan my DAC has only a USB IN.

@mbhangui my Mac Mini is Late 2012 i7 quad core. It has been in the drawers for nearly two years. Would the older OS still work or better to scrap it? Not sure what is in it. Need to power up and check.

Dont go with RPI and Nix based OS, laptop with win 11 with any player using native device or wasapi or asio is way superior i tried rpi/usbridge sig/pi2aes and windows 11 is far better

Wow... This is the forum to be on.. so many options to explore these before swiping the card 😃

@Kannan my DAC has only a USB IN.

@mbhangui my Mac Mini is Late 2012 i7 quad core. It has been in the drawers for nearly two years. Would the older OS still work or better to scrap it? Not sure what is in it. Need to power up and check.
My too is 2012. You just need to install opencore boot loader on macmini. The steps are
1) Download the install for Monterey
2) Install it to a 16 Gb usb drive
3) Boot your mac mini with the usb drive and start the installation

If you have a hard drive inside your mac mini, replace it with a SSD.

Dont go with RPI and Nix based OS, laptop with win 11 with any player using native device or wasapi or asio is way superior i tried rpi/usbridge sig/pi2aes and windows 11 is far better
How do you control it from remote if win 11 laptop? My issue is that. Just to avoid the "cross country" cable to the USB DAC from laptop.

If you want free up your laptop, you may use an RPi + USB transport.
@Kannan mentioned Allo DigiOne (SPDIF out). You may also explore Allo USBridge (USB out)

Or explore what @keith_correa has suggested if keeping laptop as your player.

Cheers,
Raghu

My too is 2012. You just need to install opencore boot loader on macmini. The steps are
1) Download the install for Monterey
2) Install it to a 16 Gb usb drive
3) Boot your mac mini with the usb drive and start the installation

If you have a hard drive inside your mac mini, replace it with a SSD.
I have the hardware.

Need to update my software (my brain). Got used to Mac, then COVID and remote working..Mac Mini was not enough to access the work ... Went to reboot a Win 8 Vaio with Chrome OS ..... Back to Win 11.

Any solution on Chrome? That old Vaio with i5 2nd gen was blazing fast with Chrome.

So you aren't happy with your pi2aes? Let me know if it ever goes 'For sale' 🤪

How do you control it from remote if win 11 laptop? My issue is that. Just to avoid the "cross country" cable to the USB DAC from laptop.
In near future u will be needing a stand alone network music streamer. It will do it all wirelessly.

oh wait...can u install bubble upnp or hificast? U may have a bit perfect solution right away as long as ur HDD is on network. U may not need anything at all if ur dac/receiver has network capability

I have the hardware.

Need to update my software (my brain). Got used to Mac, then COVID and remote working..Mac Mini was not enough to access the work ... Went to reboot a Win 8 Vaio with Chrome OS ..... Back to Win 11.

Any solution on Chrome? That old Vaio with i5 2nd gen was blazing fast with Chrome.
Sorry. No experience with windows or chrome os.

In near future u will be needing a stand alone network music streamer. It will do it all wirelessly.

oh wait...can u install bubble upnp or hificast? U may have a bit perfect solution right away as long as ur HDD is on network. U may not need anything at all if ur dac/receiver has network capability
Kya karoom...

It's all analog devices. DAC also has two tails - USB IN and RCA..

Had tried Mi Box. It worked very well to cast NAS with DS Audio or YT Music. Later it started stalling..

Back