RT 60 measurement of my room

Hari Iyer

This post is in continuation of the below post discussing about Kii room placement and thought of creating a new thread to avoid dilution of the original post.

The below measurements were taken from my usual listening position just near my window with both speakers playing.
Decay - Usual Listening positiion.jpg

As you can observe the decay plot (which is seen in all other speakers in my room), there is a huge build-up of energy around 74Hz region which does not decay easily. This is the room mode which converted to wave-length corresponds to 15.5 feet which is exactly my room length. Nothing much can be done about this unless i use very heavy foam (thicker than 4") to absorb this on one of the wall. This is not possible due to poor WAF.

There is some more clutter in the octaves of these frequencies at 150Hz, 225Hz, 350Hz, 425Hz and so on and it continues till 1150Hz. After that one more peak at 9500Hz with build up of energy which i am not able to localize to any object.

Below is the RT60 of the same mic position.

RT60-Usual listening position.jpg

You can see the decay is as high as 5sec for the room mode which needs correction. Ironically it does not sound as bad as it measures. For other frequencies between 150Hz till 10KHz the decay is within 0.5s to 0.65s which is kind of okay and very much flat too.

So i am thinking of measuring once again at the sweet spot today evening. My sweet spot is 6 feet away from the speaker. The speakers are 6 feet away from the front wall. This gives me another 5 feet from the rear wall. Also have toed the speakers slightly inward to reduce the first reflection point. It sounds quite good at this position when checked yesterday. Need to confirm with measurements too why so.

If you check the frequency response of this speaker, then its ruler flat as below and is also a minimum phase speaker system,

Frequency Response-Usual listening position.jpg

Addition Note: These are measured for my OB speakers and you will typically find T60 to be relatively higher in open baffle designs. But their interaction with the side walls are minimal due to their dipole behavior.

Last edited:
No hands-on with these measurements in my room,.. Just stuck to freq response for now :p ..

Appreciate if you could detail on importance of RT60 measurements in the room & the next steps, would be of help to me and other users.. I would also read up on this topic..

I don't have the measurement / graphs with me, but I have a similar issue in about the same frequency

I am planning to get a 4'x2' x 4" panel diagonally placed in an air tight box at the top corners of the front wall and then re measure. WIP. Suggestions/ corrections welcome

Ciao
GR

I am trying to take a different approach this time,
1. As low frequency will be difficult to tame because of size of panel, cost and WAF, i have located the anti-node point on the room which also happens to be my sweet spot for my listening position.
2. I have given a 5 deg toe-in to the speaker inward to reduce early first reflections if any from the speaker hitting the side walls. Since my speaker happens to be an OB, its interaction with side-walls is minimal consider to box speakers, this is evident from the RT60 measurements.
3. Having your seating position in the anti-node point helps to reduce the boom associated with node points. I am placing somewhere inbetween the anti-node and node positing mid-way. Considering my room length of 16feet, the exact anti-node is at 8 feet and midway is around 12 feet. So this gives me exact 6 feet way from the speakers where bass will not boom and it doesnt. Can listen just the fundamental and harmonic content without the reverb.

I will need to confirm once again by measuring is what i am listening is same as measured. Let me see if i can find time today evening.

one more option will be to keep the rear window open on one-side and check if pressure build up is reduced, but that option is not practical due to busy street outside.

Last edited:
No hands-on with these measurements in my room,.. Just stuck to freq response for now :p ..

Appreciate if you could detail on importance of RT60 measurements in the room & the next steps, would be of help to me and other users.. I would also read up on this topic..
The measurement above were of my usual listening position. i will be measuring in midway anti-node position which is around 10 feet from my front wall and see if i am able to get a better room mode. If yes, then i will sit at this position for listening. I have already verified subjectively and did not find any reverberation boom at this location. Only the fundamental and harmonics with no buildup of bass was observed. Need to check if the same is measured.

Panels in air tight box?.. Is it to target a particular frequency range?..
That is the goal ideally but I don't have the diy skills/ ability to do that. I will therefore try to use materials and design I have to work *somewhat* better. It won't be pretty.

Ciao
GR

I am now experimenting on controlled dispersion for my open baffle speakers mostly to tackle baffle diffraction effects from my side baffle and reducing the rare wave dispersion. The out of phase sound from behind the speaker will be used to cancel the diffracted waves by directing the rare wave to the front at the baffle edge. The mid to high frequency from the rare baffle will be damped with absorption material and only frequency below 1 KHz will be directed towards the baffle edge.

As in an open baffle, beyond the baffle width aiding the front and rare wave cancellation give perfect figure 8 Dipole response and ensures less reflection from the room .

I have tested a prototype last weekend and liked what I listened. There was less confusion on the midrange the center image was spot on and overall sound stage width was good. Also clutter in the midrange has reduced a lot and overall energy levels were perfect. Planning for a permanent implementation this weekend.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back