SABA Papillon Cabinets

shafic

My SABA Papillon resonant cabinets project.
Couple of years back I got these saba oval green cones and matching saba tweeters.
These sabas are very popular in the DIY community abroad. People have used in many different type of configurations like different type of open baffles, reso cabinets etc etc.

I was of thinking of making cabinets for them on the lines of saba reso cabinets. There is a long thread in audiokarma regarding these projects. Many type of saba reso cabinets are made by people. I also was thinking of making one such cabinet.

When I came across the Saba Butterfly cabinets mentioned in this link,

they caught my fantasy. I thought if I do, then I should make something like this.

I was searching for a skilled carpenter who would be able to give shape to my ideas and designs.

I wanted my cabinets should not be just 'boxes' but a work of art and musical instrument. Made from imported Baltic birch plywood ( 12 mm, 4mm, and 8mm), old dry light pine wood, Spruce wood ( sourced from local guitar manufacturer), Natural glue ( brought from Haryana) and Fevicol marine etc etc.

I am presenting here my SABA Papillon Cabinets.

Papillon is the French word for Butterfly. Henri Charriere's memoir 'Papillon' has been inspiration to me since I read the Tamil translation by R.K. Rangarajan, at the age of 10. So I gave the name to my dream project Papillon.

I have learnt a lot of things from this wonderful forum and fellow DIYers.
Thanks guys.

Here are some pics of this project.

Regards,
Shafic

Last edited:
Test recordings with Dual CV 40 SS amplifier.
Will connect with suitable tube amps later.
These are just intial test recording. Will tune the cabs, placement etc according to the response.
Excuse me for the poor mobile recording.

Last edited:
They look awesome Shafic

Thank you sir

Stunning Beauties
Thank you sir

Friends thank you for the appreciation ❤️. This project got delayed due to the lock down. Some finishing works still remained which I couldn't handle alone.

With the help of my daughter I was able to do the finishing works like fitting of drivers and soldering. I feel it is a best father's day gift.

Attachments

• IMG_20200618_014425.jpg
    IMG_20200618_014425.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 104
They look very good!
Kudos to you for undertaking this beautiful project.
Kudos to your carpenter for creating this!

Excellent work! :D they look really good.

I'm curious to know about how placing them so close to the wall is working for you. Have you accounted for the room correction any other way?

Do let me know.

They look very good!
Kudos to you for undertaking this beautiful project.
Kudos to your carpenter for creating this!
Thank you Keith for your kind words.
Yes, he has done a good job.
I am just warming up with this project;)
Some more projects are on their way.
Regards

Superb work, Shafic

Thank you sir

My SABA Papillon resonant cabinets project.
Couple of years back I got these saba oval green cones and matching saba tweeters.
These sabas are very popular in the DIY community abroad. People have used in many different type of configurations like different type of open baffles, reso cabinets etc etc.

I was of thinking of making cabinets for them on the lines of saba reso cabinets. There is a long thread in audiokarma regarding these projects. Many type of saba reso cabinets are made by people. I also was thinking of making one such cabinet.

When I came across the Saba Butterfly cabinets mentioned in this link,

they caught my fantasy. I thought if I do, then I should make something like this.

I was searching for a skilled carpenter who would be able to give shape to my ideas and designs.

I wanted my cabinets should not be just 'boxes' but a work of art and musical instrument. Made from imported Baltic birch plywood ( 12 mm, 4mm, and 8mm), old dry light pine wood, Spruce wood ( sourced from local guitar manufacturer), Natural glue ( brought from Haryana) and Fevicol marine etc etc.

I am presenting here my SABA Papillon Cabinets.

Papillon is the French word for Butterfly. Henri Charriere's memoir 'Papillon' has been inspiration to me since I read the Tamil translation by R.K. Rangarajan, at the age of 10. So I gave the name to my dream project Papillon.

I have learnt a lot of things from this wonderful forum and fellow DIYers.
Thanks guys.

Here are some pics of this project.

Regards,
Shafic

Beautiful ! Looks like a piece of Art.

Excellent work! :D they look really good.

I'm curious to know about how placing them so close to the wall is working for you. Have you accounted for the room correction any other way?

Do let me know.
Hi buddy,
Thanks for the appreciation.

Music listening in a city like Bombay ( in Flats) is a compromise. You can't make a house suited to your music preferences, you have to adjust your music system according to your listening area. I am not talking about the super rich. ;)

My living room is only 13×12 sq ft. And has doors on three sides. I get only one full wall to setup my system. From my listening position to the speakers, there is only 8ft distance. I can't move the speakers away from the wall during the day as they will be in the way. If I want to position them to get perfect soundstage, I can do it only at night after 11pm. :) So there is not much room for any room correction.

I am in the process of readying another room dedicated to my music experiments. I am a afficianado of horn based vintage music systems. Some more projects are getting shape. Will post details in separate thread.

BTW they are singing beautifully in this position too.
These are the first pics n recordings.
I feel the highs are little edgy and the bass needs to be tightened. Actually they can't go below 60hz. So I need a good subwoofer to compensate that area.

These Sabas are unique. Their lush and transparent mid-range are magical, something Audiophiles die for.

I am planning to dampen the tweeter ( it is in separate JBL paper mache box) with different materials to tame down the highs a little bit. I am going to enjoy listening to them as they are for some time before any kidagiri.:D

Will update from time to time.

Once again thank you for your post.
Regards

Beautiful ! Looks like a piece of Art.

Hello sir,
How are you?
Thanks for the appreciation.
For me it is like a Guru praising a Shishya.

You are such a knowledgeble person, I have learnt quite a few things regarding audio from you.
I am thankful for that.

Regards

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back