Sad & Shocking News: Panasonic to stop Plasma TVs from 2013

madbullram

Team: heard from a very dependable source that Panasonic will not sell Plasma's in India (and mostly outside too) from Jan 2013. That's the reason you see shortage of Plasma and they are currently clearing stocks (they have anyway very little).

If you are planing on buying the Panasonic plasma's better wait and watch as I will be worried with service and availability of parts.:mad:

Damn, I just bought one a few months back! Hope service doesn't become a big issue.
Plasmas are still available here, but in limited stock.

Oh that's pretty bad news coming in!! As iaudio cited hope service doesnt become an issue, and somehow wish they didnt go ahead with doing this!!

Hope other's don't follow Pana, Samsung would get good market share if Pana stops selling plasmas in India.

I am really worried about service. Already have read a few shockers about Panasonic service, cannot imagine how it will be after they stop selling plasmas. Worse I have a 2011 st30 bought mid of this year. So it will be a 2 generations old model next year. :(

i warned several times ..dont fall into the trap of dealers promoting non selling stock
ha ha :) ... damaged museums will buy dont worry

Not questioning the reliability of the source mentioned in OP but at least for the US market, Panasonic is not discontinuing Plasma TVs in 2013. There is going to be a VT60 for 2013 and new screen sizes as well. :)

This comes from a Panasonic employee at Avsforums.

Not questioning the reliability of the source mentioned in OP but at least for the US market, Panasonic is not discontinuing Plasma TVs in 2013. There is going to be a VT60 for 2013 and new screen sizes as well. :)

This comes from a Panasonic employee at Avsforums.
Need to wait and watch for 2013 announcements. Time alone will tell ...

For me, it's a sad but not shocking news. We could see it coming for some time. Plasma television sales have been on decline for some years now. Other manufacturers have already exited plasma TV segment. However, I don't think, Panasonic will exit plasma TV segment in 2013 itself. Plasma TV technology leadership is what separates them from the competetors. I don't think, they can really compete with South Korean manufacturers in LED LCD TV segment. My guess is, Panasonic and others will ultimately exit the Plasma TV segment but not so soon. I think, manufactureres will consolidate number of plasma TV models on offer in 2013 and we may see new (fewer) plasma TV models in 2013 from Panasonic, Samsung and LG as well. Just my guess and hope. I'm no expert on this subject.

I think, we may not see plasma TVs from any manufacturer in 2015. I'm not sure how Panasonic is in terms of customer service and supporting their products. Do they stand firmly behind their products and customers? I'm asking because as customers we need assurance that the company will provide support even if they discontinue the product, before we buy the product from the company. I think, if someone wants to buy a plasma TV now, s/he should buy it from a manufacturer who has a reputation of good customer service and who stands firmly behind the products they manufacture.

Last edited:
what may be the reason for this decision. Low cost, larger panel, and better picture(IMO) is a winner all the way and people like me ready to ignore a bit more watt and thick panel.

For me, it's a sad but not shocking news. We could see it coming for some time. Plasma television sales have been on decline for some years now. Other manufacturers have already exited plasma TV segment. However, I don't think, Panasonic will exit plasma TV segment in 2013 itself. Plasma TV technology leadership is what separates them from the competetors. I don't think, they can really compete with South Korean manufacturers in LED LCD TV segment. My guess is, Panasonic and others will ultimately exit the Plasma TV segment but not so soon. I think, manufactureres will consolidate number of plasma TV models on offer in 2013 and we may see new (fewer) plasma TV models in 2013 from Panasonic, Samsung and LG as well. Just my guess and hope. I'm no expert on this subject.

I think, we may not see plasma TVs from any manufacturer in 2015. I'm not sure how Panasonic is in terms of customer service and supporting their products. Do they stand firmly behind their products and customers? I'm asking because as customers we need assurance that the company will provide support even if they discontinue the product, before we buy the product from the company. I think, if someone wants to buy a plasma TV now, s/he should buy it from a manufacturer who has a reputation of good customer service and who stands firmly behind the products they manufacture.

All reasoning sound reasonable to me. A brand like panasonic would damage itself more than anybody else by backing out on support of the products they sold. it will give impression that it may happen with other product as well. So it is damage to their own brand name more than anything else.

They are getting out of consumer plasmas. They will continue to work with Commercial displays.

If reports are to be believed, Panasonic is mulling to exit the entire TV business.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back