Samsung 2012 PS43E470 review - The budget performer.

Tigerstyle9

Hi there everyone,
With so much time and effort i purchased my first HDTV. I was in search of a good budget plasma tv since january. But due to some reasons couldn't purchased it then. So, finally thought i would go for a 2012 model. 3D was not on my list and my parents said the more feaatures the tv has, there will be more cost of repair if anything goes wrong (in short, my parents didn't want 3D :p). So, long story short, i decided to buy a 2012 2D model. I knew Panasonic made best plasmas but in the lower segment Samsung was equally competitive with some very eye catchy designs and better codec support. So, i waited for Samsung 2012 "E" series to be launched in India. Finally, i came across this model PS43E470. The only thing i knew about this was that it is the successor of the popular PS43D450. I never demoed this TV. and took a risk of purchasing it. And boy, i am glad i made the best decision. :).
This TV has the best design of any plasma i have seen till now. My friends are mistaken that it is an LED. :p The blacks on this TV are just awesome for the price and the PQ just blows everything away. The normal SD channels look good. And regarding HD content, this thing is stunning. The reflections from the panel is there but is reduced from the previous generation.
Pros:
-Awesome Clarity in HD content. The SD upscaling is far better than Panasonic specifically the X30D.
-Real Black panel which was only found in the last years upper range. (D550 and above)
-Less reflections as compared to D450.
-More loudness than previous generation.
-Too sexy for a plasma and its so thin.
-Better codec support than Panasonic's lower end offerings.
-Less bulky~ 18Kgs.
-No fuss remote. :p
-Value for money. I got it for 39.2K :)

Cons:
-There are no controls on the TV. Not even the touch ones. There's a single button at the bottom which switches on the tv, controls volume and channels. Though not much of a concern but you will eventually get used to it.
-Dust magnet. And it really catches dust, no matter how clean the room is.

Well, currently i have not got my Tata Sky HD. I will get i by tomorrow and then update the post.

Here's a link to my Picasa album. Enjoy and comment!! :) :clapping:
https://plus.google.com/photos/113128869825968849518/albums/5733432176610425953?banner=pwa&authkey=CKyFutehp4DEYw

PS- Images are taken using my HTC Sensation and resized to 50%. And if you wanna know anything just comment! :D

Last edited:
Do post pics as soon as u can... BTW this perception that Panasonic makes the best plasma is only true in the higher end of the market... In the entry lvl sammy wins hands down... Also as we have very few HD channels the fact that Samsung has fantastic SD channel upscaling is a major plus... Congrats on ur purchase & do post the pics soon

Sad that Samsung doesn't have a Full HD at 43 inches.. A full HD for 4-5k more would be a stunner.. given the world of 1080p content coming by, most minds are wary for 720p :(

Congratulations Bro...... Yesterday I asked to Samsung dealer and he confirmed 43E490 3D model is also available.. Price not confirmed but he will arrange on order.

Please share some pics and comparison with older model...

Sad that Samsung doesn't have a Full HD at 43 inches.. A full HD for 4-5k more would be a stunner.. given the world of 1080p content coming by, most minds are wary for 720p :(
I dont know whether u hv seen Full HD and HD TV's side by side playing full HD content ...I have seen in 42'' and was unable to find any difference at a viewing distance of 6 - 8 ft ....So for all practical purposes, it would appear that at 42/43 '', FHD is not relevant.

Congratulations Bro...... Yesterday I asked to Samsung dealer and he confirmed 43E490 3D model is also available.. Price not confirmed but he will arrange on order.

Please share some pics and comparison with older model...

If you live in Delhi, i can arrange E490 from the same dealer i have purchased. Price quoted to me was 46k with two free 3D glasses.

I meant specs wise.. You can check the specs of e450 from samsung uk website. :)

Specs wise its same as E450 in UK. It has some kind of triple protection also, you can check it on the box of the TV in the images i uploaded. It has some kind of surge protection, voltage protection and blah blah blah.. the dealer told me. :p

Hi Tigerstyles9,

did you find any panel type difference or they are using same old type D450 panel???

They are using Real Black panel which was originally found on last generation higher end plasmas.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Congrats!!!:clapping:
looks like a stunning TV.
samsung wisely choose not to join the full HD bandwagon for 42" TV.
clearly it does not matter at this size.
instead they did something really cool by offering real black filter, which is more important IMHO.

Congrats!!!:clapping:
looks like a stunning TV.
samsung wisely choose not to join the full HD bandwagon for 42" TV.
clearly it does not matter at this size.
instead they did something really cool by offering real black filter, which is more important IMHO.

Yeah bro... At 43 inches and 8ft distance it doesn't matter whether a tv is hd or full hd. Real black filter is a joy though. :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

I dont know whether u hv seen Full HD and HD TV's side by side playing full HD content ...I have seen in 42'' and was unable to find any difference at a viewing distance of 6 - 8 ft ....So for all practical purposes, it would appear that at 42/43 '', FHD is not relevant.

Yes bro, I've demoed a ton of them.. and may be due to this my eye detects the difference instantly even at that distance..:eek:

And I am not against people buying HD TV's but let's honestly agree FHD is very much here and i see 4K hiding somewhere in the curtains of years :yahoo:

Yes bro, I've demoed a ton of them.. and may be due to this my eye detects the difference instantly even at that distance..:eek:
Probably you belong to a very small group of ppl who are able to see the difference, cos for most of us "normal" ppl, the difference is not visible ....As to your "eye defects", I believe the defect is really somewhere else ..

This model seem good as you have reviewed. Is this model available in India. I want to buy a plasma TV. Can you give me suggestion that why I should not go for Panasonic 42X30D and tell me also about power consumption of plasma TVs. I am planing to buy a 42 inch HD plasma within a month.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back