Samsung 40" 3D LED TV- Cargo or Cabin Baggage

pardiser

Hi Friends,

I stay in USA, and I'm travelling to Ahmedabad, via Dubai on Emirates flight. I wish to buy a Samsung 40" Full HD LED TV from Dubai and I've been following the posts regarding this on customs duty etc.

I have a clarification question- For all those people who've done this before- Do you carry the TV with you as Cabin Luggage or put in Cargo baggage while checking in?

Any help from people who have done this before is really appreciated.

Thanks a lot for all the help

How will the TV ever fit in the cabin baggage? It will have to go as checked-in baggage. Make sure that you are carrying only one piece of baggage from US.

Hi
You will not allowed to carry the TV in Cabin baggage..Last time while coming to India i bought 32 inch Sony tv from Malyasia and carried to India..
I wrapped it up with a safety packing in the KLIA airport for 20 RM and I checked in the TV in Check in baggage.
I traveled in Malaysian Airlines..No one in Chennai airport asked me any questions.
The same was happened to my friend who carried 40inch fin the same airline and no one questioned him..
My kind suggestion would be is wrap the TV in Airport ,there will a separate counter or shop to do this in every airport..
Ensure TV is re-packed as it is after buying the TV from the shop..If it is not repacked properly after the demo then there is chance to get it broken..
You no need to worry about this as most of the shop will do their job properly.
Ensure a fragile sticker is pasted by the airline staff while checking in and drop your Tv in the check in the fragile check in counter.

My wife came from USA through Emirates to Chennai and carried a 40" LED for a friend and carried it through check in. However it would be considered as one baggage by the airline. No wrapping was done and no customs duty was paid. One in 10 people are carrying a LED from Dubai or other Asian countries now and seems like the customs are not bothering them now (not sure about other airports but as far as Chennai is concerned it doesn't seems to be a problem)

I don't have experience carrying TV's but about the TV, don't you think the TV's are cheaper here in US than in Dubai ( and you get variety and latest models) ? Also, folks, any of you tried bringing TV's bigger than 40? 46,50 and dealt with customs?

Hi isisira,

LED TVs in USA are cheaper and you also get a variety of models.

However the only catch is the technical configuration of the particular model and the voltage requirements. Usually people who buy TVs from US aren't satisfied with its performance because of voltage we get in India. There is a different thread being discussed here:

http://www.hifivision.com/television/4499-bringing-lcd-tv-us-worth.html

You might find this helpful.

Hi pardiser,

Did you take the TV to India? I am in same boat as you were. I will be flying Emirates, to Surat via Mumbai and Dubai.

If you did buy the TV in Dubai and took it to India, it would be very helpful if you can share your experience in doing so.

Thanks in advance, appreciate your thread.

Probably you better avoid buying LED TVs now outside India. Since Aug 2013, flat 30-35% tax you will be paying up. Imported TVs is useless right now and easily avoided.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back