Samsung 40"C 550/C630 confused please help

Rjeevan

Hi all, just got myself registered here this is my first post.

I'm looking for an LCD set that might meet my requirements.

budget: 65k
size: 40"
distance :10ft
uses: sundth sd ,DVD,ps3

shortlisted samsung 40'' C550 & C630.
Fortunately had a good demo of both these set at SAMSUNG Brand shop side by side and both had source from SUN DTH SD as well as HD.

both 550 &630 played .mkv formats through usb pen drive, loved it.

550 has 60Hz & 630 120Hz.

price
C550 for 55k & C630 for 65k in exchange of old crt.

any thoughts on these 2 sets from experts here
so that i can decide between the two.

will be buying in the first week of june .

thanks.

Go for c550 because of VFM factor.. check it out in other shops.. should be available for ~50K..

c630 offers a matte screen (less reflection), 100 hz and slightly better contrast.. if you can shed 10K extra for slightly better PQ then go for it.. 100hz helps only for fast moving scenes (sports and few action movies).. rest of the time you have to keep it OFF..

for SD both should perform same..

@alokbharti thanks for the response . will sure bargain . is it this 100hz thing which works when watching normal tv which brings in the soap opera effect, which i really found a bit weird to watch .

Go for C550. CNET Asia gave it's predecessor (B550 series) 8.9/10 points which is considerably higher than what they gave B650 (8.5/10). And regarding this 100hz feature, CNET Asia (they took the review from CNET UK) clearly mentions that despite the lack of 100hz on the B550 series, there was no motion blur what-so-ever even in fast moving sequences. Basically B550 gives you more value for your money. It's an incredible set. The new C550 series would just add the USB feature on it.

Last edited:
@alokbharti thanks for the response . will sure bargain . is it this 100hz thing which works when watching normal tv which brings in the soap opera effect, which i really found a bit weird to watch .

Well, Since you already know about the soap opera effect, it is easy to explain.

Yes it is there in B650 which was the predecessor of the c630 (Or is it 650?)! Don't know if it is present in the C630 but I have no reason to believe it does not.

Having said that, even when 100Hz is switched off, 650 is better in terms of other things such as contrast, and colour reproduction. Amoung these, the contrast difference is minimal but colour accuracy is well noticiable. There was a bit of detail enhancement too in HD.

One more thing, the B550 did not have any usb playback but the C550 has it. Is looks like a good buy for 55k considering B550 was ~50k.

Regarding C630's price, the B650 was selling around 62k until recently with sun HD thrown in for free. Considering that, the C630's price seem a bit on the higher side. See if you can find a B650 for <60k. If yes, pick that up instead. As I see in the specs, there is no feature enhancements in C compared to B. Only it got slimmer and lighter.

Finally I never got a chance yet to see the C series and all my comments are based on the B. I assume there aren't much PQ level changes between C and B.

Last edited:
A review to help you decide thought it is not the C550 or C630.

Samsung LE40C650/ LE40C652/ LE40C654/ LE40C630 Review

I have seen the 2009 B550, B50650 model in showrooms and felt they were very good displays. 2010 models should only be marginally better.

Demo all your shortlisted displays:
1. carry your own DVD and HDMI
2. adjust as per the calibrated settings from sites like above
3. see what best pleases your eye, room size and budget

I decided on my purchase couple of years back in similar way.

Two things definitely to remember:
1. amount of light in your room
2. viewing angle - it may spoil all the colors and blacks

I have a Samsung LCD but want to replace it with a 2010 Plasma (thanks to all the Plasma advantanges I have been reading).

Happy purchasing!!! :)

Go for C550. CNET Asia gave it's predecessor (B550 series) 8.9/10 points which is considerably higher than what they gave B650 (8.5/10). And regarding this 100hz feature, CNET Asia (they took the review from CNET UK) clearly mentions that despite the lack of 100hz on the B550 series, there was no motion blur what-so-ever even in fast moving sequences. Basically B550 gives you more value for your money. It's an incredible set. The new C550 series would just add the USB feature on it.

deleted after some thought

Last edited:
The 60 or 120Hz Motion Flo as no real consequence on the PQ as of now in the real sense. These figures so say deal with smoothening the motion over the frames which is quite different from the Judder that you experience while watching movies. So essentially you should be look at Anti Judder capability of a TV rather than its motion flow capability. Motion Flo only makes sense only when you are watching a lot of sports in you TV like football,squash etc.
So i would say get the cheaper one.
Hope this helps

I purchased the C530 (which is essentially same as the C550 lacking 1 HDMi, Crystal Design and Allshare technology) and I can whole-heartedly recommend it for SD viewing, PS3 gaming and DVD watching. Also the mkv play ability rocks !

Best of luck for your purchase

You can also consider the sony EX400 available for 45k in grey market and ebay.in(with dealer warranty) ,if you want the 100hz the EX500 again priced at 55k in grey market.

It might be having limited coded support.. it will not play all mkvs..
will play only with supported codecs.. same issue I found with b650 model..
ok ! another mkv worked. but not getting subtitles option :)
any idea on how to turn subs on ?

thanks

:indifferent14::confused:

Last edited:
ok ! another mkv worked. but not getting subtitles option :)
any idea on how to turn subs on ?

thanks

:indifferent14::confused:

Just make sure that the movie file and the sub file are in the same folder in ur usb drive. Also make sure that they have the same name. I've tried this many times and it works perfectly. U don't need to change any settings. The subs will appear automatically.

So what is the final command c530 or c630.The price is almost 10 k different and I am also in same dilemma.I am not able to find a show where this two are displayed together some how to compare.spec wise yes 630 is good but is it worth or shall I invest some where else.

So rjeevan what was ur final call ?

Also which panels we are getting in india? (SQ,AA,CN)

So what is the final command c530 or c630.The price is almost 10 k different and I am also in same dilemma.I am not able to find a show where this two are displayed together some how to compare.spec wise yes 630 is good but is it worth or shall I invest some where else.

So rjeevan what was ur final call ?

Also which panels we are getting in india? (SQ,AA,CN)

Well imo i think it worth the difference,although i really hope the price difference comes down.
You can always get a similar specked sony EX500 with a SPVA panel or SQ in samsung terms for 54k to 55k in grey market if you want save cash.
In india or anywhere else the samsung can come with any panel.

Hey Adder,
Do you know how to check the panel series where to look for ?.
What you think would be the + of 630, I can think of contrast/100hz (lot of hmmm here),USB playback(Which any way my DVD supports)

Hey Adder,
Do you know how to check the panel series where to look for ?.
What you think would be the + of 630, I can think of contrast/100hz (lot of hmmm here),USB playback(Which any way my DVD supports)

Well i never check about tvs with USB playback.
I check the panel type with a magnifying glass ,to be specific i use a magnifying glass that has a second smaller lens for macro viewing and see a pixel which is emitting white light.

Thanks adder a lot for the reply.So you mean to say the contrast and 100 hz is worth the difference,I am so confused becoz I am unable to view them next to each other.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back