Samsung 40EH5000- Terrible Ghosting and Banding

kookitan

Hey guys,

ive been using a 40EH5000 LED in my bedroom for about 6 months. (Purchased from ebay for 35k) and have been facing two issues.

1- Ghosting : When people move on screen or any fast moving scenes, the image tends to become a blurred and you can see a trail of their movement behind.

2- Uneven Bands/Patches in the display: For example during a cricket match when the ball moves across the outfield, you can see uneven patches of green across the field. Plain color backgrounds makes it really prominent.

I have a feeling that the panel might be faulty- Attached is a picture of the bands/uneven patches on a plain blue background. it may not be visible on the picture but its pretty bad when noticed up close.

- Is there anything which can be done? ive tried literally every picture mode on the tv with no luck.
- Will Samsung India honor the warranty? its a grey market piece.

Connected via HDMI to airtel HD and home PC.

Thanks

I can understand what you may be going through. Once we know there's a problem with the TV you cannot ignore it. In fact you keep looking for it.

I'm no expert on this. However, based on what I've read, I think, the problems you described are very common with LED LCD TVs (may be higher end models do better). I'm afraid, Samsung won't provide any warranty support as it's a grey market product. That's the risk associated with buying grey market products. Still worth contacting Samsung customer care just hear what they say. All the best!

I'm afraid, Samsung won't provide any warranty support as it's a grey market product. That's the risk associated with buying grey market products. Still worth contacting Samsung customer care just hear what they say. All the best!

One of my friend have faced same problem with SONY BDP & 32" LCD EX500, Contacted sony india service center. They just charged service charges as per out of warranty system & corrected the faults. Charges were nominal.
So hope Samsung will do the same with OOW systems.

It's better to contact them & get your TV rectified.;)

Last edited:
I really hope it's a minor problem. Though the symptoms do not indicate so.

Last edited:
@OP, the symptoms may be because of lower refresh rate hence the pixels are not fast enough to respond to fast changing scenes. Try watching a move or a serial and look for similar symptoms. Look at the manual and set the highest refresh rate before calling the service. An older post here tells that the refresh rate is only 60Hz. In that case this may be the problem.

http://www.hifivision.com/television/26721-need-opinion-samsung-40eh5300.html#post374701

Ghosting on my Samsung led was the main reason I went for plasma technology.
You can try tweaking the motion processing of the set.
Also try the "movie mode". I found that the ghosting was bearable in this mode.

my LG 55LM7600 has similar problem.... Banding and dirty screen is prominent in test cricket.... and yes fast motion.... 3 cricket balls .... +/- ghosting...

dear all.. thanks for all ur inputs.. am in big time confusion.. please conclude my research..
1. Samsung 40EH5000
or
2. Sony 40EX430
or any other preferred model by you guys ?

been doing lot of research but could not conclude.. am n gulf, and am getting both are in cheap prices. (Sammy 40EH5000 - 28675 Rs and Sony 40EX430 - 32250 Rs). i am scared with the playable format in sony. other than sony looking owsome to me.
and also am not that tech savyv to use the tv enough, am not aware of the picture quality too. so pls conclude me with your valuable reasons and suggestions for the money am going to pay.. need ur help guys.
basically tv is to watch cable tv channels for my parents. and sometimes, i ll play animated 1080p movies n tv, den good audio ll be enough. so as of now another concern is we are getting local cable tv set top box, so, watever the tv am gong to buy should deliver good video/PQ. so pls guys, conclude it for me.
awaiting your valuable reponses. kindly. thanks again, sharfudeen.

Back