Samsung BD-H6500 vs BD-H5500; Audio decoding??

noblejose

I'm in confusion between Samsung BD-H6500 and BD-H5500 models. I have a 3D SMART TV, so no specific need for that wifi/ or SMART HUB features in player. When I closely watched the specifications, the main difference that confuses me is in the AUDIO department:

H6500 has DTS-HD Master Audio Decoding and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio Decoding with Audio decoding output Dolby Decoding 7.1 Channel while the H5500 don't have DTS-HD MA and only 2.1 decoding??

I'm planning to pair it with a AVR capable of decoding DTS-HD MA ... Both of the above players has DTS-HD Bitstream Output and LPCM. I think both of these will send true uncompressed Master Audio to AVR through HDMI; so AVR do the decoding.. :confused::confused:

Please guide me...

Bitstream to AVR and let it do the decoding. Which AVR do you plan?

Hi Shaiju,
I'm planning to get Yamaha YHT-2910 (HTiB); had plans to get a DENON AVR + Andrew jones 5.1 combo.. but budget constrains.. just recently bought my TV.

Btw: I've bought Samsung blu ray plaber BD-H6500 for 9.4K. So far very good.. just finished Pacific Rim 3D :clapping:

Congratulations. That's an absolutely fantastic player.

Blu-ray Disc Player Audio Settings - Bitstream vs PCM

Thanks for the heads up on Bitstream-Vs-Pcm

I'm in confusion, Have an old model AVR which only supports Optical and Coaxial. What is the best way to connect it to my blu-ray, TV setup.
HDMI from Blu-ray>TV and Optical from TV>AVR OR Optical from Blu-ray>AVR

I believe its better to connect HDMI to TV and then take TV Optical out to AVR?? :confused:

I should choose Bitstream on both cases - I believe .

Hello,
The TV will send 5.1 output only from data stored in USB, like MKV, MP4, etc. But if the source is from outside, i.e. BR Player / STB / PS3, the TV will send only stereo output through OPTICAL. Hence use Optical out from BR Player.

For new AVR, try this one. PIONEER VSX 924 with ONKYO SKF 4700 5.1 package. AVR may be available for Rs.27000/- in grey market and the speakers @ Rs.31,000 in Snapdeal.

Connections:
1. BD-Player to AVR
2. AVR Out to TV In

Medium: HDMI because Optical (TOSLINK or SPDIF) does not support more than DD or DD+ and it has limit of 5.1 only

Output: Always Bitstream unprocessed. Let AVR do its job .

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back