Samsung blu-ray 3d/dvd player bd - e5500

jaivelu

Hi Friends,

How about this SAMSUNG BLU-RAY 3D/DVD PLAYER BD - E5500 ?
I am planning to buy one of this 3D player because in the near future I'm also planning to buy a 3D TV. So, please give your valuable suggestions.

1) Is it a good BD Player which can play most of MKV movies off the USB?

2) Whether it recognizes the NTFS or FAT32 or exfat formatted external HDD?

3) How is the audio/video/3D performance of this player?

4) Also tell me whether it has Cinavia Protection?

Please share your valuable suggestions.... :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys, even after 74 views there is not one single suggestion....

Even in web I couldn't find any reviews. Only general spec and overview.

So, please help me guys..

Are you planning to play original blu-ray discs and DVDs? If yes, then you should be aware that this player is Region C for BD and Region 5 for DVD. I do not think that it can be made region free.

Otherwise there is no issue as far as I believe. Playing capability and upconversion (if required) will be at par with the entry level BDPs.

As regards to video formats compatibility, if the website mentions it then "yes". But it will be best to test it. Most modern BDPs have Cinavia installed. Expect this.

Last edited:
I have got the Player yesterday :clapping::eek:hyeah:

1) The Player plays virtually everything through the USB pen drive like MKV, divx, rmvb etc. I have checked with MKV of profile 2.0 to profile 5.1. All the MKVs have been played without any stress. Even the 400 MB size are displayed very well. The colors are very good and picture also very detailed. Its excellent. :yahoo:

2) The Blu-Rays are also played with excellent quality. I have checked with AVATAR, Sherlock Holmes etc. Its plays them very well. The picture & sound quality are very good and detailed too.

The player has Cinavia protection.
To test that, I have played the backup copies of blu-rays of Avatar, Avengers to check whether the Cinavia protection is in action. But both the movies have played without any hiccup. ;)

3) @prosenjit, As far as audio is concerned it can bitstream DTS-HD, Dolby-TrueHD and PCM.

4) It came with TRON 3D Blu-Ray disc. Since, I don't have 3D TV, I couldn't check it out the 3D performance. If anyone tested it, then please share the performance of 3D.

5) I have also checked with External HDD. The scanning has been a little slow, but its been good in playing all the movies.

6) I couldn't check the network connectivity, since I only going to use it for movie watching. The Player has got the SmartHub feature which is very limited. So, I don't think to connect.

Now, the cons...

1) The remote reception is not good. Its lagging a bit to execute the command from the remote. Sometimes we have to press a button twice to execute the command.
Whether its the remote or the player? I don't know. I have checked the Amazon reviews, there too this remote lagging complaint been said by many people.

2) The interface is also a little bit slow and a bit dull in looks too.

3) The connections are very very limited. Only one HDMI, one co-axial output and one Ethernet port for network is there. So, please check it out.

So, that's it guys. Please share your opinions and suggestions. :D

I got this player free with my Samsung plasma TV (51E550). I watched Tron Legacy 3D movie blu ray disc. Played perfectly fine. No issues.

I've not used it extensively. Just watched the 3D movie and played some mp3 discs. Overall satisfied with the performance. I've also noticed the player's lag in responding to remote commands.

To add to the list of Pros:
7) Pairs well with my Samsung Plasma TV. Automatically turns on the TV from standby when the player is turned on. Has compatible remote with the TV with buttons for turning the TV on/off, volume control, source selection, enter/select buttons on the BR player remote.
8) Very thin and simple/decent looking.

To add to the list of cons:
4) It does not detect that the disc contains just mp3 files. So I've to turn on the TV; go through the BR players menu to select music type files and start playing mp3 files from there. A bit inconvinient as I've connected this player to TV through AVR. I should not be forced to turn on the TV if all I've on the disk are mp3 files and I just want to listen to them through my home theater. My 10 year old Sony DVD player detects mp3 disc and starts playing it automatically. I've not explored the player's settings enough. I hope, there must be something in the settings which tells the player to start playing the disk automatically if it contains just one type of files. Please let me know if anyone of you knows how to fix it.
5) Very basic display on the player. It does not tell you much about what's being played.
6) The USB port does not have cover/cap on it.

From my brief use, I can tell that the player is good, however, it could have been a bit better.

Last edited:
I have got the Player yesterday :clapping::eek:hyeah:

1) The Player plays virtually everything through the USB pen drive like MKV, divx, rmvb etc. I have checked with MKV of profile 2.0 to profile 5.1. All the MKVs have been played without any stress. Even the 400 MB size are displayed very well. The colors are very good and picture also very detailed. Its excellent. :yahoo:

2) The Blu-Rays are also played with excellent quality. I have checked with AVATAR, Sherlock Holmes etc. Its plays them very well. The picture & sound quality are very good and detailed too.

The player has Cinavia protection.
To test that, I have played the backup copies of blu-rays of Avatar, Avengers to check whether the Cinavia protection is in action. But both the movies have played without any hiccup. ;)

3) @prosenjit, As far as audio is concerned it can bitstream DTS-HD, Dolby-TrueHD and PCM.

4) It came with TRON 3D Blu-Ray disc. Since, I don't have 3D TV, I couldn't check it out the 3D performance. If anyone tested it, then please share the performance of 3D.

5) I have also checked with External HDD. The scanning has been a little slow, but its been good in playing all the movies.

6) I couldn't check the network connectivity, since I only going to use it for movie watching. The Player has got the SmartHub feature which is very limited. So, I don't think to connect.

Now, the cons...

1) The remote reception is not good. Its lagging a bit to execute the command from the remote. Sometimes we have to press a button twice to execute the command.
Whether its the remote or the player? I don't know. I have checked the Amazon reviews, there too this remote lagging complaint been said by many people.

2) The interface is also a little bit slow and a bit dull in looks too.

3) The connections are very very limited. Only one HDMI, one co-axial output and one Ethernet port for network is there. So, please check it out.

So, that's it guys. Please share your opinions and suggestions. :D

I have also booked this dvd player yesterday.Can u pls tell me whether the TRON DVD was in the box pack?(my dealer is saying that there is no dvd present outside the box & also there is nothing written about the free dvd on the box).
Also I want to know how to make it region free?

Hi Satanu,

The TRON 3D is a Blu-Ray Disc and not a DVD.
The bluray Disc was came with the package itself. So, you can be sure about that.
To view that, you should have 3D TV, otherwise the disc won't play. So, please check it out before buying the E-5500.

It can be made DVD region free. see the link Samsung BD-E5500 region code - VideoHelp.com
For some, the remote code hack worked and for some it didn't worked. So, please go through the link and then buy it.

I have also booked this dvd player yesterday.Can u pls tell me whether the TRON DVD was in the box pack?(my dealer is saying that there is no dvd present outside the box & also there is nothing written about the free dvd on the box).
Also I want to know how to make it region free?

It is possible that it may be region free for dvd's. But I have my doubts. It is definitely not region free for bd's. I don't think it can be made region free but check the web.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Hi Satanu,

The TRON 3D is a Blu-Ray Disc and not a DVD.
The bluray Disc was came with the package itself. So, you can be sure about that.
To view that, you should have 3D TV, otherwise the disc won't play. So, please check it out before buying the E-5500.

It can be made DVD region free. see the link Samsung BD-E5500 region code - VideoHelp.com
For some, the remote code hack worked and for some it didn't worked. So, please go through the link and then buy it.

Hi,
I called the samsung customer care and they are telling that there is no Blu-Ray Disc present with any models of BDP.
I have to wait and see what comes inside the package:indifferent14:

I just want to know from where have u bought it ?

It's time to write a review after using it for a couple of weeks

Cons -

Remote lagging
Slow response with HDD & CDs(I have not checked with 3D Blue Ray Disc)
Does not play .DAT & .tp file(whereas my LG 3D Tv plays those files smoothly)

I would say that it is a horrible BD Player(though price is cheaper than the other brands) & would advice others to stay away from this product.
I don't want others to suffer after buying this shit.

I just want to confirm that the DVD region free has been working in my player.
I made the DVD region free by using the remote code hack and its successfully done and played various region DVDs successfully.

I just want to confirm that the DVD region free has been working in my player.
I made the DVD region free by using the remote code hack and its successfully done and played various region DVDs successfully.

But BD Disc hack could not be done:sad:

BD hack via remote is not that simple. It needs either a custom firmware upgrade (if supported) or a hardware mod.

Custom firmware unlocks the features that prevent BD region change. But only a handfull models support this - Panasonic models being one of them. For the majority, the route is via a hardware mod. But once again, hardware mods are hard to find, require soldering skills and attaching a custom hardware to piggy back on the circuit board.

There is an easier solution though - buy two BDPs - one for region A/1 (USA) and other for region B/2 (Europe). People for Australia/NZ can substitute with region B/4 instead. Luckily over 80% of BDs are region free and hence it is not a big issue.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back