samsung c6900 or sony ex720

tecmec

Hii,

I am planning to buy a tv for my hall area and have tried to shortlist these two models.

sony ex720 and samsung ua6900 and since my requirement is about 46" screen size due to hall viewing dist.

both tv's costing 1Lac rs with NO extra goodies. (except airtel HD tv)

i request your valuable advice on deciding on the best model amongst both.

i spoke to the samsung showroom and was informed about some D series to be released by 15 or 20 april, but cost quoted was about 145K for a 46" model..

i am not sure how trues this goes,.... also from some reading on this forum and some demo from sony , found that sony lacks playing multiple formats and capacities of files and storage drives.. like HDD..

I was also quoted c7000 from samsung at 108K, but dealer said 6900 has some LED backlight features of 8 series, hence scores extra compared to 7 series that offers 3D as an extra feature.

i was also quoted about ,internet features are better in samsung than in
sony ..

valuable inputs wil help decide the best for me plz.

thanks
tecmec

Depending on where you are : since you mention visiting a Samsung showroom- I presume you are in a Metro / or T1 city.
About Samsung: They seem to be almnost sold out of the C series, and that is why the D will be coming out soon.
I almost picked up a C7000 this week, however, it turned out all that was left were display pieces. Price quoted was 92K -and I declined. Another factor was the Fuzziness that I saw in SD images- and Samsung confirmed that this due to the TV upscaling pictures that are received lower than 1080i.

Croma infact had a C6900 for 99K- as the special price. So you would do well to be extra careful about the price and also piece you are offered. Also keep in mind the Panel quality that is used.

Sony does not seem to have the stock to supply -at least the 46" EX 720model.

If the price you mentioned for the D series is correct, I am now hoping LG reduces their prices in keeping up with the Jones' and I can get the LX9500;)

PS: Tecmec,You seem to have started 2 more threads on the same subject- please delete them!

Last edited:
hey thats a quickie..

could you please share your experience on the c7000 .. since i am getting pulled to be a fan of c8000 aswell..

and if you ask my honest oponion,, i would love the samsung stuff..

so how would your views be on

6900 quoted 100000 by one dealer and 106000 by another

c7000 quoted 108000

c8000 quoted 128000

i aint asking more of sony here, since sony is only ex720, hence no discussion left...

though the prompt downside is format playing and hdd suport etc..

yes, i am in bangalore..

cheers,
tecmec

sure wil delete others, first timer , u see :)

Dude, I got your PM, thought of replying here. You have been GROSSLY MISGUIDED by the dealer when they say C6900 has the same LED Dimming like C8000. C6900 will have the LED BLINKING feature same as in C7000 and C8000 (C8000 has Dimming feature as well). Also, the price quoted is WAY TOO HIGH than what they should quote for these models currently.

I personally like C750 the best from the year 2010 as they contain the best panel (SQ01) WITH 3 3D glasses, 3D BR player, Wifi Dongle, HDMI cable with Dish HD connection. I got the price of Rs.90k in December which should have been reduced now. If you are in Bangalore, I can talk with the Samsung Sales Rep to get the best pricing.

C7000 and C8000 seems to have unacceptable backlight uniformity issue which is more acceptable in C750. Also, C750 has MORE BRIGHTNESS Levels and is comparable in terms of power consumption (while LED claims better efficiency on paper). Basically the local dimming in C8000 and Sony HX800 bothers me as I NOTICE them changing with different scenes.. Constant backlight (and proper backlight instead of edge lit). Hence C750 in many ways is better than these 2 models you mentioned due to below fact:

1. Probably the only currently available CCFL LCD with 200Hz which is available only in C7000 and above, Sony EX720 is just 100Hz
2. All 3D goodies which you get with 46" C7000 and above, Sony EX720 do not come with any 3D glass
3. SD upscaling is ACTUALLY EXCELLENT for a 2010 model on almost all Samsung and Sony TVs, some reviews claim Samsung has better upscaling! So SD quality do look very good on these TVs as against what you observed (there are many things we realize only after seeing the TV in our home).
4. Best media functionality on all Samsung TVs. Seems NONE of the current Sony TVs support 3D through USB playback. So ripped BR 3D movies wont work!
5. C750 has separate power cord, more inputs than ANY LED LCD TVs, has Audio Return Channel (which is only in other 3D models, not there in C6900,etc).
6. Good Internet, DLNA functionality. Great upscaling of video through USB
7. 10 point white balance color calibration is available only in some Samsung high end models (not sure about C6900), which is missing from Sony models
8. Backlit remote control
9. No silly BUNCH of extension cables (which you could EASILY LOOSE or damage in Samsung LED TVs) for input connections..
10. Better viewing angles as CCFL is a proper backlight instead of these silly EDGE Lit LEDs backlighting in "Matrix" type arrangement

I also saw LG PK550 50" today and it was AWESOME with very good motion resolution and NO VISIBLE PWM NOISE or additional motion judder. I dint test it on a SD source though so that is still a question for me where Samsung excels.

I have personally BOUGHT and RETURNED C7000 and C750 TVs so telling from my experience.

Last edited:
Dude, I got your PM, thought of replying here. You have been GROSSLY MISGUIDED by the dealer when they say C6900 has the same LED Dimming like C8000. C6900 will have the LED BLINKING feature same as in C7000 and C8000 (C8000 has Dimming feature as well). Also, the price quoted is WAY TOO HIGH than what they should quote for these models currently.

I personally like C750 the best from the year 2010 as they contain the best panel (SQ01) WITH 3 3D glasses, 3D BR player, Wifi Dongle, HDMI cable with Dish HD connection. I got the price of Rs.90k in December which should have been reduced now. If you are in Bangalore, I can talk with the Samsung Sales Rep to get the best pricing.

C7000 and C8000 seems to have unacceptable backlight uniformity issue which is more acceptable in C750. Also, C750 has MORE BRIGHTNESS Levels and is comparable in terms of power consumption (while LED claims better efficiency on paper). Basically the local dimming in C8000 and Sony HX800 bothers me as I NOTICE them changing with different scenes.. Constant backlight (and proper backlight instead of edge lit). Hence C750 in many ways is better than these 2 models you mentioned due to below fact:

1. Probably the only currently available CCFL LCD with 200Hz which is available only in C7000 and above, Sony EX720 is just 100Hz
2. All 3D goodies which you get with 46" C7000 and above, Sony EX720 do not come with any 3D glass
3. SD upscaling is ACTUALLY EXCELLENT for a 2010 model on almost all Samsung and Sony TVs, some reviews claim Samsung has better upscaling! So SD quality do look very good on these TVs as against what you observed (there are many things we realize only after seeing the TV in our home).
4. Best media functionality on all Samsung TVs. Seems NONE of the current Sony TVs support 3D through USB playback. So ripped BR 3D movies wont work!
5. C750 has separate power cord, more inputs than ANY LED LCD TVs, has Audio Return Channel (which is only in other 3D models, not there in C6900,etc).
6. Good Internet, DLNA functionality. Great upscaling of video through USB
7. 10 point white balance color calibration is available only in some Samsung high end models (not sure about C6900), which is missing from Sony models
8. Backlit remote control
9. No silly BUNCH of extension cables (which you could EASILY LOOSE or damage in Samsung LED TVs) for input connections..
10. Better viewing angles as CCFL is a proper backlight instead of these silly EDGE Lit LEDs backlighting in "Matrix" type arrangement

I also saw LG PK550 50" today and it was AWESOME with very good motion resolution and NO VISIBLE PWM NOISE or additional motion judder. I dint test it on a SD source though so that is still a question for me where Samsung excels.

I have personally BOUGHT and RETURNED C7000 and C750 TVs so telling from my experience.

thanks for the detailed info... certainly samsung wins the race in few daily use facts like, file formats and capacity of hdd etc...

Initially i also focused on c650, though never paid attention on c750 then.. ... but i aint sure if its available in market now..

so far i am considering c6900... since 3d wasnt a priority for me and the tv does every thing else c7000/c8000 does except 3d and enhanced motion flor rates.. though at once i thought of c7000, since its just 8K higher in cost..

from all you mentioned about c750, looks like a steal deal... i will call the samsung dealer to and check with him the prices too..

only question is, why did you return the c750 if you liked it well.

cheers,
tecmec

I just called the samsung dealer, he quoted 110000 for c750 with 1 3d glass only.
the tv is available, he said there was an offer before worldcup, but that too was costing 125000, hence the cost now is 110000 ...

seems you had a good deal in hand, around december 2010..

lastly, c750 and c7000 ( LCD & LED, both stand same price, infact LED is 2000 cheaper, here)

cheers,
tecmec

For 2011 Sony has a 120hz panel in their 2011 EX720 as per specs from sonystyle.
IMO the Motionflow 200XR combines the older 100hz motionflow with backlight scanning.

The high end HX range uses a 240hz panel and has motionflow 960/800.

I just called the samsung dealer, he quoted 110000 for c750 with 1 3d glass only.
the tv is available, he said there was an offer before worldcup, but that too was costing 125000, hence the cost now is 110000 ...

seems you had a good deal in hand, around december 2010..

lastly, c750 and c7000 ( LCD & LED, both stand same price, infact LED is 2000 cheaper, here)

cheers,
tecmec
I will check with the sales rep tomorrow on C750. I returned it as it still had backlight non-uniformity issue and some limitation like while playing music there was no way to switch off the display! Also, the motionplus had random frame dropping issue. Reflective screen of these new TVs didn't help either. 3D BR could not play more than 4GB files from DVDs properly. There were few more minor issues which Samsung could not commit to resolve.

ok ...

yesterday i finalized the c6900 verbally... was wanting the c8000, but then 3D is a bit far away yet and turns expensive too for the price now.

will go tomorrow and make payments.... wondering of some one can give wall mounting height tips.. ..

its a 46" tv and viewing will be at least 14 -16 feet away...

The wall height is 100 inches and tv height is 26 inch...

I was thinking of ensuring tv base to be 42" to 44" high from the floor level.

also, is the samsung wall mount it sufficient or any aftermake is recommended.

not sure what gets shipped with c6900.

thanks for all your advice and suggestions here.. very valuable..

"" can we view the hours run stats on a samsung, to ensure its not a display piece, or any other buying tips..""

cheers,
tecmec

You can view hours view stats in service menu.

You should get ULTRA SLIM WALL MOUNT with the TV. Please suggest the price you have got it finalized. I may get you better price for the TV. Also, I would still suggest going for C7000 with 3D goodies as it will be far more value for money for you in the long run. And these Samsung TV's 2D to 3D conversion also work great so 3D does help in many ways even now.

@ prankey,

thanks for the detailed, info and you have been good help aswell..
the cost is 1Lac for c6900 and c7000 was for 108000, in bangalore.

happy to consider c7000, since I havn't paid yet... and this will now only be tuesday.. due to travel.... just went ahead with c6900 due to not too great response heard on c7000...

from your previous feedback, i figure that c7000 had issues with PQ primarily.

cheers,
tecmec

You would have the SAME issues from C7000 in C6900.

I just called the Samsung Sales Rep (he can bill to any of the several dealers in Bangalore like Girias, Pai, Devi, etc.) and he has quoted Rs.98k for C6900 and was suggesting unavailability of 46C7000 in Bangalore.

Also, he suggested that Samsung has started selling D series AT THE SAME PRICE as C SERIES though we may not get additional discounts of what we could get for C series. As suggested earlier, official launch date for D series is 13th April for which the dealers have already started stocking the models and several of them are already in the go-down.

thanks for the info.... good to know that D series is soon to release...

did he give any details on the models being launched in D series for india.

it will help if you can find some details around it and the best prices...

specially the 6300, 6400 and 7000 models..

since cnet has very good ratings for c7000 and c8000... though they may be very expensive to start with... i will any day await the D series, if it is in the 110 120 budget.. :)

do let know... thanks...

tecmec..

thanks for the info.... good to know that D series is soon to release...

did he give any details on the models being launched in D series for india.

it will help if you can find some details around it and the best prices...

specially the 6300, 6400 and 7000 models..

since cnet has very good ratings for c7000 and c8000... though they may be very expensive to start with... i will any day await the D series, if it is in the 110 120 budget.. :)

do let know... thanks...

tecmec..
He suggested that D4000, D5000, D7000 and D8000 series is available NOW. He has told to get back to me on pricing by next week and was suggesting 46D7000 to be around 1.15L (unconfirmed) with 3D bundle offer and D series 3D BR player.

Have just seen and got the price for the SS 46D6000 100Hz @108 K
SS 46D6600 200Hz @124K ....the 7000 series was above 150K : sadly no bundles or deals :=(

Any info on the prices in B'loru /Hyd/Delhi ?

I too have put the c6900 purchase in hold untill weekend..

called a samsung dealer, he mentioned d7000 for 153000, against mrp of 160000 for 46"

however the samsung india website mentions 13-14 April as launch at some forum...

is some one aware about the difference between D6000 and D6600 ?

cheers,
tecmec

you guys can check out my experience with my Sammy 46 C8000 with pics, differences with C7000 AND C9000 at ----"Bought the 47" Full LED-3D TV LG 47LX9500 - My Experience" thread.

samsung turns out to be disappointing with the D series prices..

I was also quoted 1.53L for D7000 46"

I hear they have two models in 6 series, 6000 and 6600 .. wish i would have got some spec and price details for these models, so that i can compare these to c6900..

else looks like i wil have to finally end the wait and buy c6900 over weekend..

guys do you suggest buying c6900 and investing remaining money on a good HT ?

cheers,
tecmec

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back