Samsung E470 or Panasonic X50

sankyindia

Hi Forum Members -

Though I joined forum formally today, I have been following this forum for many months. I appreciate the excellent knowledge shared by fellow members and also guidance provided by you all.

I am looking to buy a 42 or 50 incher plazma within next month or two (coinciding with festive season) or even now if i get good finance or/and price.

After going though reviews on web and on this fantastic site, i have shortlisted 2 models.

Samsung E470 | 450
Panasonic X50

My requirement is excellent Picture Quality. I will mostly be watching DTH in SD or/and HD and DVD/BRD RIPs of video files. So if the TV could read from USB pen drive then its very much preferable as it eliminates need to buy DVD player.

3D + Smart features are not my priorities. I dont think i will be watching much content in BRD original disc format.

I will be buying from Pune.

Please guide me on the following aspects.

1. Should I be going for 42 or 50 ? I will be placing this in bedroom with 10 feet width. So approximate viewing distance would be 7.5 to 9 Feet I suppose.

2. Within Samsung what is the difference between E450 series and E470 series ?

3. On Ebay, 43 E450 model is listed for 33 K + 1 K for wall mount + charges for local installation say 1 K. so in less then 35 K I am getting this 43 E 450. Is this good deal and advisable ? The SPlaza - Pune told me its discontinued whereas EBAY guy told me its yet to be launched ! India, indeed, is a diverse country !!!

4. How do Samsung and Panasonic compare for my requirement ?

5. Where can I get good deal for Samsung and Panasonic in PUNE. I am looking for reduction on dealer price but longer tenure for EMI will also do the trick. SPlaza has offered 43E470 for 36 K with 12 EMIs on credit card with 600 Rs charges. So this is suiting my requirement atleast from finance perspective. Also its available on booking and no demo possible. But I liked E490 which my friend has so willing to go for 470 without demo.

6. Is 3D the only difference between X50 and XT50 ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Sanket.

Hi Forum Members -

Though I joined forum formally today, I have been following this forum for many months. I appreciate the excellent knowledge shared by fellow members and also guidance provided by you all.
A warm welcome to you to HFV.

I am looking to buy a 42 or 50 incher plazma within next month or two (coinciding with festive season) or even now if i get good finance or/and price.

After going though reviews on web and on this fantastic site, i have shortlisted 2 models.

Samsung E470 | 450
Panasonic X50

My requirement is excellent Picture Quality. I will mostly be watching DTH in SD or/and HD and DVD/BRD RIPs of video files. So if the TV could read from USB pen drive then its very much preferable as it eliminates need to buy DVD player.

3D + Smart features are not my priorities. I dont think i will be watching much content in BRD original disc format.
Well thought decision; though some plasma bashers will hit you on the head. For the features you mentioned (excellent PQ) there will be nothing better than plasma. All three models mentioned above are excellent although I feel that X50 has an edge because of brighter panel.

I will be buying from Pune.
PM me when you are ready to buy. I will help you. I am also from Pune.

Please guide me on the following aspects.

1. Should I be going for 42 or 50 ? I will be placing this in bedroom with 10 feet width. So approximate viewing distance would be 7.5 to 9 Feet I suppose.[/QUOTE]
Actual viewing distance is about 8 feet (avarage). Also 3D is not your forte. I sugget 42". Unless you plan to a larger home in a couple of years where distance could be more, 42" is better.

Can't say. Check the "compare" features in the Samsung website. Probably some anti-jitter/noise elimnination features. Visit the showroom and check for yourself whether you perceive any difference. When you check, please use SD as source.

3. On Ebay, 43 E450 model is listed for 33 K + 1 K for wall mount + charges for local installation say 1 K. so in less then 35 K I am getting this 43 E 450. Is this good deal and advisable ? The SPlaza - Pune told me its discontinued whereas EBAY guy told me its yet to be launched ! India, indeed, is a diverse country !!!
On eBay, you may end up paying Octroi also. Don't check with S Plaza only. Check with Maharashtra Elec Corp, Reliance Digital, Vijay Sales, and Croma also.

As stated, I would rate Panasonic a touch ahead because the X50 has really a great panel.

5. Where can I get good deal for Samsung and Panasonic in PUNE. I am looking for reduction on dealer price but longer tenure for EMI will also do the trick. SPlaza has offered 43E470 for 36 K with 12 EMIs on credit card with 600 Rs charges. So this is suiting my requirement atleast from finance perspective. Also its available on booking and no demo possible. But I liked E490 which my friend has so willing to go for 470 without demo.
Between Samsungs 470 and 490, 3D is the only difference. If you look at finance this way ... Rs. 600 on Rs. 36,000 for 12 months is like paying 16.67% interest. But if that suits your requirement because you will not loose liquidity immediately with finance, you can go for it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Sanket.
Yes. 3D is the only difference between X and XT50. Many Panasonic TVs are having a free HT offer just now. So if you do not have an HT, this is an incentive to buy now. Samsung is having a 3D BDP + 3D BD Movie offer on 3D TVs.

I have sent you PM.

Here you go buddy...

1. Should I be going for 42 or 50 ? I will be placing this in bedroom with 10 feet width. So approximate viewing distance would be 7.5 to 9 Feet I suppose.

42 looks reasonable for you.. however you should see the demo of both 42/50 from the same distance as in your home and decide...

I have seen 470 at multiple outlets and it looks good.. the price you got it in line as well.. 450 is probably an old model...

Both would do good... just that samsung might not offer more than 1 yr warranty on plasmas... panasonic offers 3 yrs...

Hard to chose one - Samsung models are 2011 I think and Panasonic is 2012.

Both are good models, 3 D being the only difference..

Yes - however the HT offer is there on XT50 only.. it costs approx 48K against 42-44K for X50 I think...

Many user said USB HDD not supported in 43E70. This is a big issue for me. but salesman said it is supported by USB HDD. May be I am going to check this by today and will post very soon. some few things are also missing. I have to check this also. The main problem is that dealer mount 1 or 2 plasma compared to 20-25 LED or LCD. Last time I went to Samsung plaza, R. Digital, Nobel electronic, I saw only 43E490.

Hi Forum Members -

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Sanket.

Do not buy from ebay. They are NOT providing samsung warranty.
43E450 is not an india specific version. So samsung may not even repair it.
Only buy 43E470 with samsung warranty.

Thank you all for your responses.

I am excluding E450 .

I will go for either 42X50 or 43E470 and will not take any risk by buying from any website. Will try to demo them this coming weekend.

As someone says, 36 K is good deal for E470 but will surely go and explore other retailers as suggested. But seems Plazmas are in short supply in Pune.

Should I buy UPS also ?

@just4kix: I did not get your message (PM = Personal Message ? ). how do I PM you ? do I have to add you as a friend first ?

Regards.

Thank you all for your responses.

I am excluding E450 .

I will go for either 42X50 or 43E470 and will not take any risk by buying from any website. Will try to demo them this coming weekend.

As someone says, 36 K is good deal for E470 but will surely go and explore other retailers as suggested. But seems Plazmas are in short supply in Pune.

Should I buy UPS also ?

@just4kix: I did not get your message (PM = Personal Message ? ). how do I PM you ? do I have to add you as a friend first ?

Regards.
You have disabled private messages and hence my PM could not be delivered. You should enable PM or you could send me one. Friendship is not required for PM but you could be my friend. :)

p/s. UPS is not required for flat panel TVs but it is desirable to have it.

@just4kix

I have ticked 'Enable Visitor Messaging' for enabling PM. Is that the correct way ? actually it was already ticked.

I am also unable to find a way to PM you :(

Regrets for discussing offtopics on this thread. !

Regards,
Sanket.

wow sanky very nice decision on plasmas,,,,,,,really the picture matters to a true video lover........
one thing I must say I dont have any personal issue with panny or sammy.but I have read a lot that panny an active R & D on plasmas.what sammy lacks..plus in india panny is providing 3 years warranty....

i just did a lot of research and ordered the sammy e470. I bought Sammy because I was not able to get a panasonic plasma within my budget at chennai. No availability at all!

The E470 is good from what I saw in showrooms multiple times. You wont get a better plasma TV at 36k (considering the absence of panasonic plasmas in Chennai)

The disadvantages of E470 are
1) Cannot play USB HDDs. But USB drives work perfectly and that should be sufficient IMO. Even if USB HDDs can be read, the reading speed will be slow in most TVs. The reason the E470 cannot support USB HDDs is because the port does not offer sufficient power supply for HDDs to run.

2) Not full HD

Otherwise, a good buy for the price. I was a LED/LCD guy before joining this forum, but opted to buy plasma after multiple suggestions from posters here. I just looked at the video quality and went for it. Will tell you more after I get the TV home

oh no problem of not being full hd.....just think how many times we play full hd file I mean blu ray disc...so realx..also ata 6 ft viewing distance there wont be any problem..

and who wants to play direct usb in tvs.obviously to get a good picture and sound u have to play from a blu ray /media player...so ur tv is the best buy.
the disadvantages u r mentioning are not really disadvantages.......
enjoy

Last edited:
i just did a lot of research and ordered the sammy e470. I bought Sammy because I was not able to get a panasonic plasma within my budget at chennai. No availability at all!

The E470 is good from what I saw in showrooms multiple times. You wont get a better plasma TV at 36k (considering the absence of panasonic plasmas in Chennai)

The disadvantages of E470 are
1) Cannot play USB HDDs. But USB drives work perfectly and that should be sufficient IMO. Even if USB HDDs can be read, the reading speed will be slow in most TVs. The reason the E470 cannot support USB HDDs is because the port does not offer sufficient power supply for HDDs to run.

2) Not full HD

Otherwise, a good buy for the price. I was a LED/LCD guy before joining this forum, but opted to buy plasma after multiple suggestions from posters here. I just looked at the video quality and went for it. Will tell you more after I get the TV home

You should not worry too much about TV being HD-Ready. As stated in previous post, only when you play bd, you may miss just some little bit of joy.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

@Just4Kix..

Did you go and demoed the samsung E470/490 personally?
Can you post your comments?

I am trying to validate what i saw today.
E looks like a step back from the D.

Did anyone have a side by side demo?

Things I noted,
Lesser blacks, Not sharp (dunno why HD content looked streched), colours could be better, absolutely useless real black filter (glare same as D).

Am I alone?

P.S: Demo location : Samsung plaza opp cyber towers Hyderabad. They had them both side by side.

Last edited:
E looks like a step back from the D.

Did anyone have a side by side demo?

Now that is worrying. specially since demoing Plazma is very difficult thing. I inquired at Maharashtra Electronics Store Pune. E470 is out of stock. So is the case with Vijay Sales. Not sure then how to demo them side by side. Samsung Plaza even not having E470 forget about D series.

Even Rajesh Trading Company not having 42X50. He has 42XT50 for 48 K.

Sanket.

How do these E470 and X50 compare with respect to console gaming ?

I plan to buy XBOX or PS3 in near future after buying TV.

Not sharp (dunno why HD content looked streched),

Okey.. Here is news..
From the website, it looks like the aspect ratios are brought down in the 51" model to 1024*728 from actual 720p of the D450.

This is an overwhelming change and the panel is completely different gen -1. Please note.

I checked the Panasonic 50" and they were no different also. In short, there is NO real 720p in the 2012 plasma models. Thats a bummer.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back