Samsung Galaxy Spica or Xperia x10 mini or another Andriod phone?

asliarun

Hi All,

I'm planning to buy a relatively inexpensive "smart phone". I'm leaning towards an Android phone as it has a large selection of apps and because I can get GPS support through Android and google maps. I would also like to keep the price less than 15k.

I'm currently leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Spica.

Apart from this, the Sony Xperia mini seems to be quite well built and has a good camera but it has a really small screen and has an old version of Android.

Can anyone please give me some feedback on either of these phones, especially if you have used the Galaxy Spica? It looks good on paper, but I would like to get some first hand feedback.

Or, can you suggest another large-screen phone with a decent camera and GPS support?

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry, about the typo in the title. I meant to say "Android".

Last edited:
AFA Andriod is concerned no phone come close to HTC....be it Legend or Desire or Nexes or even HERO .... Sony xperia is a failure .... Galaxy is good if you want to for Samsung only ....

Why not consider HTC Wildfire? It's going around 200 in UK now.

You may have to wait for a few days before it is available in India or otherwise get it from UK/Europe via travelling friends/family.

You may have to wait for a few days before it is available in India or otherwise get it from UK/Europe via travelling friends/family.

Thanks, this looks like an interesting option, and has a good camera. However, "on paper", the Wildfire seems to have a fairly weak CPU (also when compared to the Samsung Galaxy Spica). The India pricing is not official but based on what some websites say, I think this will be priced closer to 20k than my budget of 15k.

AFA Andriod is concerned no phone come close to HTC....be it Legend or Desire or Nexes or even HERO .... Sony xperia is a failure .... Galaxy is good if you want to for Samsung only ....

Thanks. Can you please give some more details on why you feel the Samsung Galaxy is not good? I like HTC too but all their phones are beyond by budget except Tattoo which (based on reviews) has its own limitations like weak CPU.

And what are you to do with it in case there's a problem? Buying from abroad always comes back to bite you later when you need support, which you often do. I can't understand why HTC doesn't make its phones more easily available, you can't get a Legend/Desire even from Croma in Mumbai.

Thanks. Can you please give some more details on why you feel the Samsung Galaxy is not good? I like HTC too but all their phones are beyond by budget except Tattoo which (based on reviews) has its own limitations like weak CPU.

Never said Galaxy is not good ..... I think I said Galaxy is good if for any reason you wanna stick to Samsung ..... and which Galaxy are you interested?? quite a few models available for Galaxy .....

Yes, we can update the OS by ourselves.

I'm not entirely sure iaudio ji - Coz different manufactures customize Android to suit their hardware and their own custom applications eg. HTC Sense, Sony Ericsson Timescape, Mediascape. For anything other than Nexus One you'll have to wait for the manufacturer to update the OS to be compatible with your handset. You can root your mobile to overcome this, however you'll loose warranty on your device.

I am looking for a mobile phone in the 25k price bracket. Two conditions it should be a good touch phone with an excellent camera and video. If it has image stabilization even better. Primarily, need a phone that can closely match a standalone decent quality camera.

I thought of the iphone4 but decided against it post teky's evaluation plus it might be difficult to use it in India.

Is there any other phone I could look into? I travel a lot, so could source it from the US/UK too if it helps so anything in the <500 USD range.

Was very tempted to open a new thread but thought of re-using this one.

I am looking for a mobile phone in the 25k price bracket. Two conditions it should be a good touch phone with an excellent camera and video. If it has image stabilization even better. Primarily, need a phone that can closely match a standalone decent quality camera.

I thought of the iphone4 but decided against it post teky's evaluation plus it might be difficult to use it in India.

Is there any other phone I could look into? I travel a lot, so could source it from the US/UK too if it helps so anything in the <500 USD range.

Looks like you need something like a Nokia N8. It has the most megapixels and HD video recording. Not sure if it's available yet though.

But if anything else- like software is a priority, an HTC Legend will probably be best.

sud98 - I think you should be fine with using the iPhone over 2G networks. I found the problem irritating only when browsing the internet over 3G network where the phone sits inside my left hand. But after 3G will eventually become cheaper in India and you would probably have lemon in your hands ;)

Regarding other options - if you want Camera Sony Xperia x10 or a HTC HD2 seems to be good options. But both come with their own set of problems Xperia X10 has older version of Android & HTC HD2 is currently on Windows 6.5 which is rumored to be not upgradable to Win 7 when it releases. However folks at XDA are already on the progress of flashing Andorid on HD2 and once it's done you can't beat that. HD2 also has got numerous options regarding camera settings - like white balance etc. The screen is also absolute gorgeous although your friends may call it a transistor radio :D

Xperia X10 also excels in Camera & Music playback capability. The older version of Android makes new Apps on the Android app store unusable as they wouldn't be backward compatible. Also the screen quality of the X10 is also restricted by the OS level. Just check what's your priority and choose accordignly. Remember no phone is perfect in everything.

Missed adding one more thing - These smartphones are power hungry, the more of multimedia, camera, browsing you use they die quicker. To set the context my 3GS never lasts more than a day. The maximum I've got it close 6 hours of usage and 2 days of standby.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back